Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently subscribed to Cablevision. The HD STB they supply allows me to select outputs of 480, 720, or 1080. I know my set is SD, but the HD channels look stunning.

My question is: which "output' am I better off selecting- should I just stick to 480, or is 1080 the way to go?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have the motorola 5100 with comcast cable for HD, and I set the HD output to 720p (my set and my box don't work well together at 1080i...might be my switcher, but I don't know), and the "override" for sd channels to 480i (using the component cables).

HD channels look great, and the sd ones look marginally worse than the composite connection, but I don't have to switch inputs to watch HD vs SD.

Many ppl like to keep their HD in native rez (ie espn and abc are 720p, else are 1080i for the most part), but these hd cable boxes don't allow that. You might try an a/b comparison between 720p/1080i to see what looks best, but I did that (when I realized that my 1080i wasn't stable) and couldn't see a difference.

cheers and enjoy!

Rich

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.