AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can explain this:

If I play a 235:1 DVD (armageddon) through the M1 port with Component adapter, I get a really narrow, wide image. I know this should be short and long but it's excessive. The people look a little squashed. The PJ aspect is set for 16X9.

If I switch to NATIVE then the image gets less wide and taller, it looks more natural. But, it uses less than 1/3 of the screen.....

Take the same DVD and play it through the S-Vid port and it starts out like a 4:3 image if the PJ is in NATIVE mode. Have to switch to 16X9 to get a natural looking image.

I am using two different players. One for the M1 and another for the S-Vid but it's the same Movie. Why the need to keep messing with the aspect ratio?

Also, Scary Movie is supposed to be 235:1 also but it gives a much bigger image. It fills the screen almost as much as my HDTV Channel programs.

Isn't the PJ supposed to know what aspect is being sent by the DVD Player if it's set for NATIVE mode? Does NATIVE refer to the siganl it's fed or the PJ screen size?

One more thing...when you make adjutments and save them in user settings, is it for the port your using, or for all of them?

Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
The problem is with the DVD - not your connection. Armegeddon was released in non-anamorphic widescreen. That means the video on the disc actually contains a 4:3 image with black bars. Most projectors have a zoom (or letterbox) mode to view the image full size and in the correct aspect ratio.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You want to use the Letterbox mode described below (from the 4805 user's guide):

Aspect Ratio: Aspect ratio is the ratio of the image width to image height.

TV screens are usually 4:3. HDTV and most DVDs are 16:9. The projector's

default is 16:9. See What is Aspect Ratio? on page 15for more information.

Select Native to see the unmodified input with no resizing by the projector.

Select 16:9 to watch enhanced widescreen DVDs. Select Letterbox to preserve

the 16:9 aspect ratio. If you have a 16:9 source and screen, the image

fills the screen. If your source is letterboxed, the image is expanded to fill

the screen

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I understand.. but Dune being a Widscreen and the PJ set to Widscreen ( ie 16X9) I expected a bigger image. Native mode does display better as I got/get from other 2:35.1 DVDs

Wish they would standardize these formats, transfers or what ever you call it, but I know that statement opens up a whole new can of worms.

Thanks for you comments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.