AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!


I just purchased a 4805 and I've been reading this forum for about three hours now. I'm gathering that a good forumula is the SM/MM combo which I think would work well for me.


I have kind of a cool/strange setup where I'm projecting which I want some advice on.


The wall onto which I'm projecting already has a ~ 90" wide gap between two windows.

Code:
Code:
------------------------------------------------------
|                                                    |
|                                                    |
|  ------                                    ------  |
| |      |                                  |      | |
| |      |                                  |      | |
| |      |                                  |      | |
| |      |                                  |      | |
| |      |                                  |      | |
| |      |                                  |      | |
| |      |                                  |      | |
| |      |  ------------------------------  |      | |
| |      | |                              | |      | |
| |      | |      ------------------      | |      | |
| |      | |     |                  |     | |      | |
| |      | |     |                  |     | |      | |
| |      | |     |                  |     | |      | |
| |      | |     |                  |     | |      | |
| |      | |     |                  |     | |      | |
| |      | |     |                  |     | |      | |
|  ------  |     |                  |     |  ------  |
------------------------------------------------------
The bottom part is a fireplace, and the windows have ledges so no light spills over directly to the screen.


The current paint is kind of off-white.


Originally, I kind of wanted to paint the whole wall and section off the area in between the winodws as a screen - this way you couldn't tell a screen was there save for it's extra reflective properties over the white paint.


I'd lose a few inches of screen space, but I could also put an MDF board up in between the windows to do this.


Anyway - my original idea was to just paint the wall because that way if I changed aspect ratios it wouldn't matter that much. I can sand down the wall all I want to and it's already pretty smooth.


Any thoughts here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
If the wall is smooth, there shouldn't be any problem with just painting right on the wall. However, what you may find that you will want to do is to put up a black border to finish it off. This will increase your perceived contrast, mask any light overspill, and give you a more satisfying picture.


The other thing to consider is the screen height. Not sure what your seating distance and position is, but you'll probably want to make sure that you will be comfortable with having the screen that high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
How are you going to mount the projector? If you ceiling mount, you're going to have a very hard time getting it that high on the wall. You will need to wall mount for that setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus
How are you going to mount the projector? If you ceiling mount, you're going to have a very hard time getting it that high on the wall. You will need to wall mount for that setup.
I was planning on cieling mounting. The drawing isn't to scale.


The width between the windows is exactly 83 inches. The height between the windows is 45 inches (if you add the extra space above the windows it's 56 inches high).


The fireplace is exactly 36 inches tall, and the cieling is ~7ft10 or 7ft 11.


The back wall (as far back from the screen) is 16ft 1 in.


I was able to position the projector (holding it above my head) and hit the wall in the right place - I'm not sure how level the projector was (nor how important this was)


According to the projectorcentral calculator, i need a maximum screen gain of 1.3 with a max 7% (3fc) lighting.



Will SM/MM be too bright? It's hard to tell how bright this room is / isn't - and I don't have any extra lights in here, but with the lights off it's *extremly* dark - most of the lights are very far away from the screen and the two windows don't shed light on the screen area.


Thanks for all of your help guys.


Also - this is unrelated to screens, but is the M1 connector on the back of the 4805 a standard connector? I am going to buy a DVI/HDMI cable soon so I can hook it up to my computer/tv tuner (which I also don't have yet)


Thanks :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
You may want to keep another thing in mind: The ideal viewing sightline is 1/4-1/3 screen height up from bottom of the screen. This would put the bottom of the screen 24 - 34" from the floor (depending upon seated sightline - also remember that most people slouch).


Knowing this, you may want a pull-down screen that comes down slightly infront of the mantle.


If you do keep the screen at that height, you will have to get a VERY short ceiling mount, or slightly tilt the projector and use the keystone. Using keystone is highly frowned upon in this forum, as you are wasting available pixels(even though it is just a few). It is usually only used as a last resort.


Your windows are concerning. Any light makes a big difference is PQ. You won't have to worry about the windows at night, but day viewing may cause trouble.


Also - I have a 4805 projecting onto a 96" diagonal Parkland, and absolutely love it. You will enjoy yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking_theater
You may want to keep another thing in mind: The ideal viewing sightline is 1/4-1/3 screen height up from bottom of the screen. This would put the bottom of the screen 24 - 34" from the floor (depending upon seated sightline - also remember that most people slouch).


Knowing this, you may want a pull-down screen that comes down slightly infront of the mantle.


If you do keep the screen at that height, you will have to get a VERY short ceiling mount, or slightly tilt the projector and use the keystone. Using keystone is highly frowned upon in this forum, as you are wasting available pixels(even though it is just a few). It is usually only used as a last resort.


Your windows are concerning. Any light makes a big difference is PQ. You won't have to worry about the windows at night, but day viewing may cause trouble.


Also - I have a 4805 projecting onto a 96" diagonal Parkland, and absolutely love it. You will enjoy yours.
I am less worried at this point about the 2 inches there than the keystoning problem. If I mount the projector directly on the cieling (no mount just holding it on the cieling then I'll have to move the projector forward a bit to be able to clear the ridge.


Will keystoning distort the image that much (or will it just waste pixels?)


If this gets much worse I'll probably just return the projector - I don't want to pay $1000 to get a 60 inch screen.


I need a 2nd person helping me to do calculations and testing to see exactly how bad keystoning hurts the image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by technogeeky
If this gets much worse I'll probably just return the projector - I don't want to pay $1000 to get a 60 inch screen.
Don't give up just yet. You should try using the keystone and see if you notice any difference in image quality. It may be easier for you to just set it on a table and recreate your projection environment upside down as opposed to holding it up to the ceiling since you haven't mounted it yet.


So take a look at the numbers. Assuming you want to have a 16:9 screen, and assuming 80" width, that would make the height of the screen area 45". This only gives you 56"- 45" = 11" between the ceiling and the top of the screen. The image offset between the center of the lens and top of the screen is probably around 15" and then add a little more for the projector body itself. So I would imagine that you're going to need to do some keystoning even if the projector is flush to the ceiling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
How are you planning on mounting the projector directly on the ceiling? You will probably have to mount the projector to an oversized plate, and then attach the plate to the ceiling.


Keystoning won't distort the image, it just wastes a few pixels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking of a plate-like mounting system - something like a round disc (imagine a frisbee with a curved lip) and a plate that fits in there.


I can mount it pretty darn close to the cieling.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top