AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder how much life I can expect out of my InFocus 4805, before needing a major repair.

For the purpose of this poll, "major repairs" include things such as broker fan, colour wheel replacement, circuit board, etc. Things that are serious enough that you'll need to get it professionally repaired.

Do not count DIY'able repairs, such as bulb replacements, or even dust blobs cleaning.

If you've had a "major repair", please tell us what it was. Vote also if you have owned it for > 1 year and had no major repairs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
BTW, spoke with a senior guy at IF. According to him, X line, and 4805 line are the sturdiest they have...with fewest issues on tech (vs other IF projectors)

Please take that for what its worth.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I lost my demo's power supply, which was used eight hours a day, to a failed surge protector. Good as new and no complaints with the repair service, and I don't think I got treated any differently even though it was a dealer demo. Express dealer service would have been nice - but I had to wait for shipping back/forth like everyone else!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because I am new to front PJ, it hasn't earned my trust for reliability yet. That is part of my reason for this poll.

When I buy a TV, or a LCD monitor, or a Dell computer... etc., I don't worry about it much. I turn it on, and it works, and I expect it to last for years with very little maintenance.

With my 4805 (or any other PJ in general), I keep getting the feeling something is going to go wrong any minute.

One day, I wanted to press the "blank screen" button on the remote, but I accidentally pressed the "power down" button. The projected shut down normally. But because I was expecting a black screen, as soon as the projector shut down, I thought "Oh no! my bulb must have died on me already! What did I do?" Then I realized I press "power" instead.

That is an example of my distrust with PJ in general (probably from reading all the horror stories from this forum). Then there are the dust blob issues, colour wheel buzz stories, the yellowing colour, the exploding bulbs, the misaligned panels, the firmware bugs, etc. etc.

I don't know why, and is probably unwarranted, but whenever their is something, I assume immediately the projector is broken, or is a sign of defect.

One day, when I turned on my PJ, I heard the bulb strike louder than normal, and the screen was still dark. Immediately, I assumed the bulb just exploded! Of course, everything was fine... within 1 second, the screen was on.

Is front PJ technology matured and more realiable than I give credit for? I just feel so nervous with it. That is the MAJOR reason I don't want to venture into the $3,500+ class PJ. At least, with my 4805, my loss is limited. I can't imagine investing in $20,000+ projector today, given the amount of distrust I have with PJ in general.

I am hoping someone will convince me otherwise. Alternatively, time will tell.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Keep in mind that nobody blogs to the forum that their projector was stellar and in great working order - just like the day before.

Well except for Luis maybe - but he will get over being a newbie before long.....

You read about problems here - because that is why people post - they have a problem!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Is front PJ technology matured and more realiable than I give credit for? I just feel so nervous with it
Has anything gone wrong, or are you naturally very nervous? If it makes you that fretful, get rid of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.