Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im about to buy my first projector. Replacing a Pioneer Elite 510 that went bad.

I will be using it for about 50% dvd and 50% HDTV.

The AE700 costs about 700 more but provides true HDTV resolution. But Ive heard in these posts that HDTV looks really good on the 4805. So let me ask: How good? Any opinions would help. Id rather not spend the extra $ but I do want a great HDTV experience.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am curious about that question too. I have a 4805 and HDnet and baseball looks so good that i wonder if it is already at the point of diminishing returns, i.e. true hdtv resolution would not be much better. Late next week I am going to borrow a higher resolution pj from work and compare directly. I'll post here.

In some hdtv shootouts on the 4805 board, the 4805 has held its own against some higher resolution pjs.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I have a 4805 and HD does look great. I mainly got it for DVD, though. If HD formed half of my viewing (actually, with all the 720p baseball I've been watching, it's getting there! ;) ), I'd definitely go for the 700 (or Z3, etc.). It looks as though the current crop of 720p LCD machines are lessening the gap in contrast/black level with DLP (main reason I went with the 480p DLP).

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I couldn't justify the extra cost for the AE700 and bought the Panasonic AE500 instead. I would expect the 4805 and 500 to be a virtual tie in actual picture quality but I wanted to be able to say I have an HDTV projector. The 4805 is I believe preferred in its price range over all others but I think you will get better performance from the AE700, although I am not sure it will be worth the extra money unless you want to be able to say you have an HDTV projector.

Chris

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I've got a 4805 and hd looks great. The advantage I like about the AE700 from what I've read seems to be (other than its higher resolution) that you can sit much much closer than 2x and see no SDE thanks to the smoothscreen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn I wish I could decide.

Im in Miami and so far, havent been able to find either unit on display anywhere. Spoke with Infocus and they werent able to help. Anyone know of a showroom in these parts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Quote:
Im in Miami and so far, havent been able to find either unit on display anywhere.
And even then, you're unlikely to find them in a setup which shows them to their best (or even just good )advantage. Best bet is to get one from a place with a really good return policy.

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
A friend that has a Z2 [ 720p ] PJ says the 4805 HiDef image is about 85% as good as his HiDef image [ take what you will from that comment ] .

--- I am certain the 700 will resolve more detail with HiDef material but it cannot match the black level or contrast ratio of the 4805 . The real world spec of the AE700 is much lower than what Panasonic claims [ which is nothing new in the projection world ] .

--- There is no doubt that the AE700 will throw a more pleasing HiDef image , how much better is the consideration in relation to the added cost [ is it worth it to you , if it is then certainly go with the AE700 ] .

---------- Jason

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I think that, for me, the black level/contrast deficiencies of current 720p LCD wouldn't be manifest too often as the only HD content that I'm really drawn to is brightly-lit sports. For movies/gaming, however, I'm not willing to make the sacrifice in overall picture to get the added resolution.

Hmm...IF SP5000 for the living room, and IF SP4805 for the theater... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.