AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to get either a 4805 or a EP719 for almost the same price. I am not sure which would be better for me though. I plan on playing video games (xbox),watching movies, and a little computer use, there will be some ambient light during the day (about the same as having a 40W lightbulb lit in the room) I see the the 4805 has a 700 lumens and am not sure if that would be enough to use it a little durning the day.

http://www.optomausa.com/optomausa/p..._bproj_719.jsp

http://www.infocushome.com/amer/eng/...lay/sp4805.asp

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased an ep719 on Sunday and am very impressed with the light output and performance. I use the normal output setting during the day and the light saving mode at night. I am very happy with my purchase of this low cost projector. My screen is a base flat white painted wall 120" diagonal. I am looking forward to Xbox 360.

I am using a DVD player on progressive scan mode and will be hooking it up to my pc using DVI connection this weekend.

My previous projector was a Toshiba T3 DLP that was almost 5 years old and cost 5 times what the Optoma cost.

The Optoma out performs the Toshiba - especially in black levels.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm curious, is there are reason why you went with XGA 1024x768 instead of 854x480 DVD resolution of the H31 or H27?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzero
I'm curious, is there are reason why you went with XGA 1024x768 instead of 854x480 DVD resolution of the H31 or H27?
I cant speak for him but I also went with the ep719 XGA projector this past weekend.

1. 854x480 is utterly useless if you want to hook it up to your PC like I do. I mean hooking up a PC is simply out of the question with a low resolution of 854x480. This is where the ep719 is by far superiour.

2. 4:3 ratio video on an 854x480 projector = 640x480 resolution. Compare that to the native resolution of an XGA 1024x768 and you can clearly see why an XGA projector is far superiour. XGA has 2.5 times the amount of pixels when viewing 4:3 ratio video!

3. The ep719 is completely SILENT in econo lamp mode (which is still bright by the way!)

One thing to consider, the 4805 has a 4x color wheel while most if not all $1000 XGA projectors have 2x. The 3 XGAs I tried out produced low rainbow effect which did not bother me and most of the time I never even see it. This is after watching 4 movies and many hours hooked up to a PC. I also had it hooked up to my DirectTV receiver and noticed no rainbow effect at all which I thought was strange

This past weekend I purchased 3 different XGA projectors (Optoma EP719, Toshiba T30, HP vp6320) which I will be post an indepth review with pics and screen shots later this week or weekend.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The EP179 does not have component inputs. It only has DVI, VGA, S-video and composite inputs. I would not use S-video and composite because of the poor quality.

Are you sure you can hook up your xbox and dvd player at the highest possible resolution? Also consider the additional costs to buy DVI adaptors, cables, etc.

The extra resolution would be meaningless for s-video or composite inputs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGoop
The EP179 does not have component inputs. It only has DVI, VGA, S-video and composite inputs. I would not use S-video and composite because of the poor quality.

Are you sure you can hook up your xbox and dvd player at the highest possible resolution? Also consider the additional costs to buy DVI adaptors, cables, etc.

The extra resolution would be meaningless for s-video or composite inputs.
I would get your facts straight before posting.

Yes the EP719 does have pure component input. No it dosnt have the actual 3 connectors on the back. You feed the component signal though the VGA port with a VGA to component breakout cable like the one in the link below.

VGA to component breakout cable

This is how you feed a component signal on almost ALL projectors that lack the actual component connectors. Its the samething as having the actual 3 connectors. The 15pin VGA port on the EP719 accepts RGB (computer video), Y-Pb-Pr, or Y-Cb-Cr (component).

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Quote:
1. 854x480 is utterly useless if you want to hook it up to your PC like I do. I mean hooking up a PC is simply out of the question with a low resolution of 854x480. This is where the ep719 is by far superiour.
Big words for someone with 9 posts.... everyone is an expert :rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena
Big words for someone with 9 posts.... everyone is an expert :rolleyes:
Yes, I am an expert.

Windows XP at 854x480 is an utter joke. This is a fact and its undisputable.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Ok nice to have a new troll onboard...always welcomed. Now expert, how about the other many many users very happy with it? I guess they are really dumb and you are just a genius right? BTW to the original poster I cant say wether with some ambient light the 4805 is gonna be nice enough, my post was just to let you know that our troll new member is COMPLETELY wrong and obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. I don't want you to make a mistake basing your decision in such ridiculous claims.

Regards

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
i actually love 848x480 and my windows desktop, but then again, i have a pretty slick theme with style xp and i don't clutter my desktop with useless icons and folders.

it's a matter of opinion, so consider yourself disputed ;)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
lol

again, in your opinion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.