AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am a little confused. HDMI can do 480i, but DVI cannot. What happens when you pick the 480i output on the HD Tivo and send it via an HDMI to DVI adapter to a scaler?

Does the scaler get a 480i or 480p signal (or garbage)?

I am a bit confused because I am trying to figure out exactly what I will need to feed a new NEC 61" plasma with a single DVI input. Two sources will be a DVD player with DVI output (possibly the new Denon 2910) and an HD Tivo.

Or am I better off saving the money and just running one of the sources via component video and bypassing an external scaler.

I am considering the Lumagen scalers.

Thanks.

· Premium Member
8,104 Posts
when two units talk to eachother through DVI/HDMI, they negotiate the resolution. If the scaler supports 480i, it will be negotiated and all's well that ends well. If it doesn't, they'll try to negotiate something else (e.g., 480p) and use that instead.

· Registered
32,174 Posts
"HDMI can do 480i, but DVI cannot. What happens when you pick the 480i output on the HD Tivo and send it via an HDMI to DVI adapter to a scaler?"

On my TV -- which has DVI -- the output is gibberish from the Tivo when set to 480i. While some DVI has been tweaked to actually understand 480i, most is not. You need to ask Lumagen about their DVI. My suspicion is that you'll need to tell the Tivo to output something else over HDMI or use the component output if you want to get 480i to the scaler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.