AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The January 2005 issue of Widescreen Review carries a review of the XBR960. In it the reviewer states:

"DRC stands for Digital Reality Creation, and is Sony’s trademark for their built-in line doubler. Three settings are offered for DRC control; interlaced, progressive,

and Cinemotion. Cinemotion is intended for film-based material viewed through an interlaced input and performs a proper 3-2 pulldown conversion of 24 frames per second (fps) film to 60 fps video. The progressive setting is intended for still pictures or graphics. NTSC 480i input signals are converted to 960i, and 720p HD signals are displayed at 1080i. If the DRC control is set to Progressive, then the display is set to 540p."

Writing to confirm this with Sony, I asked what the XBR960 displayed when it received a 480i signal. A Sony "technician" replied: "A 480i signal with the use of cinemotion will be seen as if it were a 480p, a 480p signal will be viewed as a 480p TV"

Writing back to Sony to ask for an explanation of the discrepancy in explaining how a 480i signal is displayed by the XBR960, the Sony technician refused to comment, referring me to the telephone support line, which in my experience is worse than the on-line support.

Does anyone know for certain how the XBR960 displays a 480i input signal?

Thanks very much.

Ron

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
My understanding of the XBR800 series is ... based on DRC setting:

Interlaced = 480i -> 960i

Progressive = 480i -> 480p

Cinemotion = 480i -> 480p w/ 3:2 pulldown

I'd assume the XBR960 line is the same ... but don't know fur sure.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The Sony Tech was right. 480i is displayed as 960i if you set to Interlaced, it is seen as 480p when set to Progressive and Cinemotion is 480p and if it senses film based content it will include 3:2 pulldown.

480p is passed natively as is 1080i, 720p is converted to 1080i.

There is no 540p that review was wrong.

·
Registered
408 Posts
why can't 480i signal be display as 480i on sony tv?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Because they can't market 480i scanning...?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Waterbug
why can't 480i signal be display as 480i on sony tv?
Supporting more scan rates (when done well) makes the set more expensive to make. As Geise noted ... it's a feature that marketing would find hard to pitch and justufy the extra expense for.

Very few HD sets from the major manufacturers support native 480i. In fact, most manufacturers are going the opposite way ... reducing the number of scan rates they support even further. Some examples include Toshiba's 480i -> 540p and JVC's All Formats -> 1500i.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I see. But at least, 1080i will display in 1080i. Except 720p....which will upconvert to 1080i...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can any HDTVs pass 480i natively?

Part of the reason some people hate SD on HDTVs is the fact that 480i looks bad when whatever line doubling or other conversion is done to it. (Usually when the SD signal starts out poorly I love how my TV handles 480i)

If you want a TV that does 480i natively you don't need an HDTV :)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dearth
Can any HDTVs pass 480i natively?
There are/were some monitors from Princeton Graphics, Monivision, Sampo and NetTV that did. Most of these seemed to be re-branded versions of the same products.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
No consumer HDTV supports a native 480i mode. On a large CRT you see the scan lines if they did that - upconverting to 480p or 960i makes the scan lines less visible, thats a good thing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joxer
No consumer HDTV supports a native 480i mode. On a large CRT you see the scan lines if they did that - upconverting to 480p or 960i makes the scan lines less visible, thats a good thing.
Very good point you made there.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
This is intruiging to read.

In my case, I have the Zenith c32v37. What does it do, by this information? Try to convert everything to 480p as well? It certainly would explain why my SD picture looks better on my analog Sony's by far...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joxer
Like I said above ... it's hard/expensive to do native 480i/480p/720p/1080i WELL. This is one of the (many) reasons.

·
Registered
183 Posts
960i interlaced mode on my xbr960 causes some odd interference or noise on some parts of the screen. It is most noticeable on still images (like game menus or calibration images). Anyone else have this problem or know what it is?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Geise
960i interlaced mode on my xbr960 causes some odd interference or noise on some parts of the screen. It is most noticeable on still images (like game menus or calibration images). Anyone else have this problem or know what it is?
Arggh ... I forget what it's called. It has to do with how consoles generate the video signal and some tricks consoles use to get smooth text with 480i ...

Anyway, use 'Progressive' for game consoles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's alot of info and now I'm totally confused.

Bottom line!

If I watch alot of SD, a little HD and DVDs and no video games on which setting should I set the DRC to on my Sony 420 series?

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hehe, whichever looks best to you. There is no right or wrong answer, only popular preferences :)

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I'd just leave it on the interalced setting that upconverts to 960i which is probably the sony's native resolution.

Also DRC will not be selectable if your using a progressive scan dvd player or HD program.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.