Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks to the advise on this bbs, I recently acquired a PD 42" panny from Visual Apex (thanks Paul!). I love the display so far, but I'm having one issue that is bothering me...

I have an interlaced sony dvd player (2 years old - 560d I think) that when connected by component cables, creates a strange effect on the panel. On dark scenes (and sometimes lighter ones) I get a strange "creeping" black bar at the top of the screen...it's not always there, but it slowly creeps up and down the top 5% of the display....this happens on pretty much any dvd (tried 6 or so) and does not happen with my HD cable (480p/720p/1080i).

I initially thought it was my dvd player, so I replaced it with a panny rp82 (a good purchase no matter what - great picture), and in progressive output mode, the problem is gone. However, if I put the rp82 in interlaced mode, the same effect happens.

Has anyone seen this before (quick fix?) or should I contact panasonic about it. It's actually kind of a minor issue, as I now have no 480i sources that I use, but if it's a flaw in display (probably video card) I should probably have it fixed, right?

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
42 Posts
Never saw it on mine. I'm using a Denon 2800 mk2 for dvd's. Initially forgot to switch it over to progressive mode, so watched 2 or 3 dvds on 480i without seeing any problem. And of course no problem on 480p.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Same here. I've run several interlaced DVD players into my Panny via component and never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...I guess I'll give paul at visual apex a call, and then possibly follow up with panasonic...it'd be a shame to have this plague me later on if I ever use the 480i input again....

Thanks!

Rich

·
Registered
101 Posts
boykster

My Sony 560d does the same thing on my TH-50PHD5UY. I do not have any other component video source yet to test but I will have HD cable soon.

It looks exactly as you described it. The interesting thing about it is, that the top area is actually cleaner than the rest of the display!

It is as if the bottom 95% of the display has low level noise from the DVD player and the top 5% does not have any background noise and therefor is very black.

I paused a picture of a movie's credits (black background and white letters) and it is easy to see that the white letters are not dimmer in anyway. Only the black around the letters is blacker.

Is this what you saw? When you switched to progressive input and the effect went away, was it that the blacker band was gone or was it that the entire screen was now black?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SciFiJunkie,

Well, at least I'm not alone :/

Yes, that sounds similar to what I'm seeing, and yes, it's just the "blacks" are blacker...any white or light objects in the field are still bright. I also had the same effect when I hooked up my new rp82 in interlaced mode, so I'm pretty sure it's the panel, not the dvd player. And yes, in progressive mode, the effect is gone (as also in 720p and 1080i mode (HD cable and MyHD card)). When switched to an other input signal type, the blacks are even, probably closer to the bottom portion of the screen (rather than the really dark top portion)....

Since it's not affecting me now (not using 480i component input anymore) I've considered just accepting it, but I'm afraid it will bite me down the road....I should probably have it looked at/replaced/serviced sooner rather than later, I guess.

I haven't called Visual Apex or panasonic yet...(been busy watching movies :p) so I don't have any new info on a fix/etc.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, by the way...love your list of software - haven't seen buckaroo bonzai in ages! And Blade runner is one of my all time faves...first DVD I bought....

Rich

·
Registered
101 Posts
boykster

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into it some more.

What type of wire was your component cable made of? I am going to try other cable to see if it makes a difference. My cable was made with Belden 7710A which is same as 1694A (blue jeans cable).

As I have it figured, if the video noise floor could be made as low all over the display, as it is in the small band that I see at the top, then the overall picture would be greatly improved!

Do you have the Superbit Blade Runner? I heir it is a much better transfer but I have not seen it.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm using canare 1694A (diy cables) with canare connectors. I've tried it also with a set of monster3's that I have, and I get the same issue (as well as some AR Master cables that I also have). Happens with or without my component switch as well (inday).

No, I don't have the superbit version...I'll definately have to check it out! When did it come out? The one I have is okay, but I'd always like better :p Also, it's one of the few dvd's that I have that has built in overscan correction, so on my panny, I get a small black bar on the sides...

Rich

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well maybe it is not the cables that cause the problem. I have some other ideas to test out. I will let you know what I find out.

I will probably get a progressive scan DVD player when I figure out what I want. The scaler in my TH-50PHD5UY looks so good, I am not anxious to upgrade the Sony DVD player. I never saw a DVD picture on any plasma that is as good as my Panny is getting. It completely took me by surprise when I turned it on two days ago. I looked at almost every brand of plasma out there but the 2003 50" Panny is not in any of the AV stores in my area. I purchased it sight unseen based on the strong reviews from this forum. My thanks goes out to everybody on this forum!

I first saw the Superbit Blade Runner in a Best Buy a few months ago. I did not see it the last time I looked for it but I will pick it up when I find it again.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a feeling that it's the video card (input) on the display. I've been able to reproduce the problem with 2 different dvd players in 480i mode, and with several different players. I don't believe that is the actual display, as 480p, 720p, 1080i, and s-video/composite feeds are not affected...

I probably will call visual apex first (where I bought the unit) and then probably panasonic about it, even though I'm not using 480i source anymore...

Rich

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Hmm,

I'm positive there is no superbit version of Blade Runner. It would be fairly big news if there were. The next version of Blade Runner is supposed to be the new Director's SE version (complete with deleted scenes), struck from new negative. I haven't heard about a superbit version though.

Wait...just checking the Sony's superbit list.....

Nope, no superbit BladeRunner.

Rich H.

·
Registered
101 Posts
boykster

I found the source of our problem! Well Robert2413 explained some NTSC technology details to me and I just put two and two together. Read this thread and let me know what you think. Keep in mind that 480p and 1080i are not an NTSC signals but 480i is!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...48#post1701248

After I adjusted the brightness level the black bar at the top of my Panny went away and the black level in the entire display got as black as the black bar at the top was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have noticed the same problem with my pan 42PH using a pioneer DV-05 DVD player. However I dont seem to notice it watching TV( using VCR as a tuner) or in zoom mode on DVD's. Im glad to here im not the only one to notice this, sounds like a progressive DVD player is in my future.

Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.