AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is similar to what I posted on another DST-3000 thread ( http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/014463.html ) but I thought this question merited its own thread.

My experience is that the DST-3000 does a LOUSY job of upconverting 480i to 1080i. It looks soft, dark, and green. Now I may have a bad STB (that's what I'm still trying to figure out) but I've read many on this list state that they think 480i sources look better going native through the S-input.

Even if true, that to me is a crappy "workaround". First, I have to change TV inputs in order to do this, and for those of you who have a "last generation" Toshiba (TW56x81) like me know how incredibly slow and irritating that is. Second, it essentially defeats the benefit of having the integrated guide - one of the things that's great about these STBs is that you can watch cable, OTA, and DSS, no matter whether 480i, 480p, or 1080i, all from the same input. Third, having to switch between TV inputs and at the same time switch between HD and SD on the STB is just a lousy "user experience" and something I could probably never get my wife to do.

So I have three questions:

1) Could it be that I have a bad DST-3000? Are there folks out there who are actually satisfied with watching 480i sources from the 1080i DST-3000 output? If it makes any difference, I do notice a slight improvement with my S-input on 480i sources.

2) Are there other "current generation" boxes who do a distinctly better job of this? Again, I'm looking to NOT have to change TV inputs to get better results.

3) Is this something that "future generation" boxes (like the Zenith for example) are supposed to do? Again, my dream would be a "pleasing" 480i picture that doesn't require video switching Would this be enough of a superior result that I should actually consider selling my $700 Toshiba STB for probably $0.50 on the dollar at best?

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 06-21-2001).]

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
SteveD,

While awaiting a cable-HDTV converter for over one year, I've noted folks with both these units and other HDTV STBs report better results using STB component outputs only for HDTV. Cable companies seem to group HDTV channels so it seems easy to switch a TV between S-video or other inputs and a group of, say, 7 HDTV channels. Can see where this would be a problem, though, if the HDTV channels are scattered through the selections.

Actually, I'd find it surprising if modestly priced STBs could upconvert 480i to 1080i, although I don't see many complaints from RCA DTC-100 owners, where 480i in converted to 540p (akin to 1080i). CBS uses extremely expensive Snell and Wilcox units to upconvert 480i to 1080i for DTV broadcasts. (Note that's not true 1080i, but NTSC upconverted to simulated 1080i ATSC.) And without such very sophisticated signal processing, I don't think I'd want to watch standard OTA NTSC upconverted to 1080i. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I can only speak for my situation, and I think my Sony HD-100 does an excellent job of upconverting 480i->1080i. This assumes you use the (HD) component inputs on your TV. Why do I do this (other than the fact that it's convenient? Because my Princeton HDTV does *not* take 480i in throught the component inputs (only 480p and up). Bottom line: it looks great!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Steve,

My Sony HD100 has what it calls a component out variable mode. What this means is if the source is 480i, the it outputs a 480i signal to my RPTV. If the source is 1080i, then it outputs a 1080i signal to my RPTV. The component in on my RPTV is setup to recognize which is being input and adjust accordingly. This allows the use of the STB remote only to watch any channel available from the APG simply by changing the channel. Even my wife has no problem with this. (sorry to any females out there, but she does seem to be either remote challenged or just unwilling to mess with any more than one at a time)

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
BTW, when I do set the HD100 to upconvert everything, the 1080i picture is very close to the 1080i upconvert from the network. Hard to tell the difference. I can toggle this by setting the HD100 to 1080i mode and then jumping from the DTV feed of my local NBC channel and the OTA feed.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
961 Posts
SteveD,

I recently decided to test my Sony HD100 box on it's NTSC to 1080i conversion. I switched between an HBO HD upconversion and HBO using the HD100 to upconvert. The PQ on the HD100 was very close to HBO HD's unconvert.

BTW, the Sony can send 480i or 1080i out via component, so I never switch to S-Video, thought I have it wired.

Art

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Mike,

The Sony has another nice feature that I like. If you set it to record, which is just a button push when in the guide, the Sony will automatically switch to S-video out while recording and then switch back to component when done. This does nothing to help when watching a set in the other room, but I can record something when I'm gone and when I turn the system back on when I get back, it's ready to go. If I record something in the middle of the night and my wife turns the system on the next day, it works without her having to change anything.

I know the Sony had a lot of bugs when first released, and all of them have not been fixed yet, but when they are it will be very nice. It definitely has some of the best features of any STB.

Of course, as Dennis Miller says, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong"

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Mits does a poor job of upconverting too; particularly compared to the upconverted 480i to 480p signal I get from our iScan Pro. I once switched from an HD channel to a SD channel before I switched to the SD/iScan input and my wife glanced up and said, "now there's a crappy picture".

In addition to getting a better SD picture, there are a couple of other reasons why I need to use and switch both SD and HD outputs from my box: 1. You can't have a VCR record if you don't switch the HD outputs off. 2. The box feeds a non-HD TV in another room, too. When in HD, the signal to that TV is turned off.

Mike...

------------------

Mike Saemisch

Visit our home theater here .

[This message has been edited by MSaemisch (edited 06-22-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.