AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like this has been discussed before, but just thought I'd check.

I have a brand new Wii. I have tried 2 different 3rd party 480p Cables Component and can't seem to get it to work.

I am running through a VGA transcoder since I need VGA to my projector. The transcoder works with my HDTV box from 480p to 1080i, and all three connectors work fine.

When I hook up the cable to the Wii, it will change the resolution automatically to 480p in the settings. However, the screen is very DARK and there doesn't appear to be any signal coming from the Red or Blue connectors. When I unplug them, there is no difference.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to suck it up and do the official Wii cable, or do you think there is something wrong with the Wii itself?

Just not sure how to proceed, or honestly, if it's even worth it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
What cables are you using? I and many others are doing quite well with the Monoprice cables. Sounds like it might be your Wii though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/15557500

What cables are you using? I and many others are doing quite well with the Monoprice cables. Sounds like it might be your Wii though.

I started with the monoprice cables, but didn't realize the Wii only sends YPbPr, so I sent it back and got a cable AND transcoder so I can send to VGA (RGB).

The new cable is from meritline, and it looks identical to the monoprice one, so I'm actually guessing it's from the same source.

It seems strange that the Wii would recognize the HDTV cable, but not send all 3 signals.

I wonder if Nintendo will even deal with me unless I lie and tell them I'm using a nintendo cable. OR, should I actually just give the official cable a try?

UPDATE - I tried the Wii on my Sony Trinitron Tube TV, and it actually had a worse problem. It read fine until I changed to 480p, and then it just went wacky...it had a garbled picture all together. I could sort of read it, but it was definitely a problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/15558094

Dumb question, but did you take the VGA transcoder out of the equation when you hooked it up to your other TV?

Actually, yep, the TV hookup was straight out of Wii with Component to TV Component IN.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
At this point, I think it may be time to contact Nintendo & get an RMA to ship your Wii in to get repaired. Sounds like it's an issue coming from the console itself.

Keep in mind that you do have a 1 yr warranty. And Nintendo Service has always gotten pretty high praise around here & elsewhere. Most people who I have heard about that have sent their Wiis in for repair usually get them back within a week or so - either fixed or replaced (with most all save data exported to the new unit).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My Wii never auto switched the resolution to 480p. Are you sure 480p was selected when you went thru your transcoder?

Also, are you sure the Sony TV you hooked up to is a progressive scan unit? Do you have to enable something on the TV to accept progressive? Can your TV accept YPbPr?

I had my Wii running 480p into my Samsung HDTV then switched to a non-progressive tube without changing the 480p setting back to 480i. The picture was definitly garbled but just readable enough for me to count menu items to switch back to 480i.

If you were to call Nintendo about this problem you probably wouldn't have to lie about the cable you are using. You can just speak about it in generic terms and don't acknowledge one way or the other if it's Nintendo branded or not. Alternately you could buy one from the store to test if it makes a difference and make your phone call then return it when done.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onund /forum/post/15561651

If you were to call Nintendo about this problem you probably wouldn't have to lie about the cable you are using. You can just speak about it in generic terms and don't acknowledge one way or the other if it's Nintendo branded or not. Alternately you could buy one from the store to test if it makes a difference and make your phone call then return it when done.

I actually did just that, with the same results. I guess that's good news/bad news. I have to send the Wii in, but it also saves me $30 on the official cable vs. the monoprice one. I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeasley /forum/post/15599904

Please let us know what the outcome is. I am having the exact same problems.

Thanks,

Tarry

Will do. Still waiting for Nintendo to receive the Wii, so we'll see what they say. Perhaps they had a batch of bad boards or something. Timing sucks. Amazon shipped my new Wii Fit yesterday, but it's a little hard to use without the Wii! ;->

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Does your Trinitron TV accept a 480p signal? If you send progressive to a non-progressive TV it will look a garbled (like onund said happened on his) about the VGA problem, maybe try another cable (first party) but it could be the Wii or the signal just cannot be transcoded.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brief Update:

I don't have details, but looking at the repair info on the website, and seeing a new serial number...looks like the folks at Nintendo are sending me a new Wii. Good thing I backed everything up! ;->

It'll be here Friday, so I'll hook it up and report back, but seems there was definitely a problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay folks, here's my update.

Got the Wii back today, which was pretty fast turnaround. The service department did a good job, but I wasn't too impressed with their packaging, and they marked on the Wii with a pen (not nice when my Wii was 2 weeks old).

Their was a problem with the 480p sending board I guess, and I hooked it up, ran it through my receiver, and all is well, it worked perfectly with my monoprice $6 cable. Not bad...

It really doesn't make a huge difference, but the text is definitely easier to read.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts