AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a video scaler that does 480p Component to 720p HDMI?

It also needs RCA analog audio input and the addition of optical toslink input would be great too.

Found the XCM HDMI Blaster , but not sure if it does 480p to 720p or just 480i to 720p.

Was also interested if there was something a little higher quality out there.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
you can catch the Yamaha 665 on sale for $300 (a guy on the AVR forum picked it up for $199).

The smaller models like the 465 for even less.

Check "6th ave" for their you-name-a-price specials and give em a good one.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
There's an HDMI upscaler chip in the Yamaha.

For instance I have a wii plugged into the analog inputs..

and it gets converted to HDMI and passed over the HDMI cable.

I have it set as "passthru" for video resolution, with the theory that a $2k tv can upscale a 480p picture better than a $400 receiver...

but it does have a button that lets you force the upscaling inside the receiver to an exact resolution like 720p etc.

·
Registered
16,917 Posts

·
Registered
16,917 Posts
I have seen a couple go for around $300 here and on ebay, I think the last one that was here at AVS went for closer to $400.

Best of Luck,

Jason

·
Registered
632 Posts
I use a DVDO Edge, primarily to upscale PS3 720P only games to 1080i, and it's a great little scaler/HDMI/Audio switch in my setup and it's "game mode" works well.

I got a barely used one off AVS for $500 (although that was ~2 years ago) and thought that was a deal, if you can snag one for $300, that's a steal and well worth it.

It's not clear what 480 signal you want to upscale, but given you posted in the PS3 section I'll presume it's some kind of game. When I was in the market for a "cheap" 720P scaler, most of the low end units did not have clear specs on the delay they'd introduce which could greatly effect your gaming - it might be worth paying a little more than you want for something like the DVDO Edge to ensure you get something that works rather than spending $200 to $300 for something that's unusable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.