AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again (as with the XFiles Premiere last Sunday) the 480p content being broadcast by Fox OTA (DTV) was 4:3, not 16x9 as so many of you are reporting.

I set my HiPix OTA receiver card to a resolution of 720x480p and the show "24" filled the screen but appeared horizontally stretched. So during the first commercial break I switched to the HD resolution 1920x1080i on my card and then the show appeared in 4:3 and the aspect ratio seemed fine.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong or is my local Fox network doing something wrong, because XFiles and 24 do not look like 16x9 to me.

-MM

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikem01
Once again (as with the XFiles Premiere last Sunday) the 480p content being broadcast by Fox OTA (DTV) was 4:3, not 16x9 as so many of you are reporting.
Mike;

As far as I'm aware, The San Diego Fox station (actually in Mexico) doesn't broadcast in 480p; they broadcast in SD on one channel of the digital service, hence the reason it's 4:3 aspect ratio. As I remember from another post here, they said they had no plans to broadcast 480p, and they are not governed by FCC rules regarding HDTV rollout since they are not on US territory (though of course there are agreements between the two countries about some broadcast aspects).

The only way you are going to get a 480p broadcast of anything from Fox is to point your antenna in the LA direction and pick up their affilliate station.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, that previous post was regarding the UPN affiliate (XUPN). However, you may still be correct about FOX (XETV). I'll call them today and ask.

-MM

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikem01
Actually, that previous post was regarding the UPN affiliate (XUPN).
Your correct, curse my failing memory. But the local Fox affilliate definitely does not broadcast in 480P.

Greg

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rats! Now, I have to go back to trying to get LA DTV stations which sometimes work and sometimes don't... (due to the transmitter being over 100 miles away)... :(

-MM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.