AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently my pioneer 275s only does 480p, but would i notice a big improvement with 1080i instead? i can not do 720p, since my tv was bought before this was available, but it does do 1080i. any thoughts??? thanks

·
23,018 Posts
Depends on the DVD player and the display. The only way you will know is to try it and see for yourself. What works best in your setup may not be true in somebody else's. You can increase the odds by hearing from people with the exact same player and display.

larry

·
Registered
242 Posts
I played around with the 270 for awhile, which is basically the same as the 275. I have a RPTV that has a native 1080i res as well. I saw some ringing on test patterns with this player, but I didn't see anything worth getting uptight about in actual viewing. The 270 and perhaps 275 as well has some other issues that may or may not irritate. Y/C delay is a bit much. I am using the Oppo right now because it does everything better than the 270. I discovered early on that I get just a bit better and cleaner PQ with DVI and I don't have a problem with MB (or don't see it) so the improvements were worth the extra money for me.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not sure about your equipment specifically but generally speaking you want there to me as little processing as possible, or single procseeing. SInce your TV and DVD player both do it (most likely) generally speaking you want that processing to happen with the device that does it better. An extreme example would be using a DVDO or other external processor connected to a TV. The choice would be obvious there and the solution would be to deliver the least processed signal to the DVDO (1080i) and then it would process and output to the native rate of the TV.

Bottom line is this: Try delivering 720p to your TV and see how it look with a variety of material. Since you are delivering the TV's native rate it won't do any more processing and your seeing how well the DVD player processing is working. Next deliver 1080i and see the difference. Now you are using the TV's processing as it has to make it a 720p signal for display. If 480p is your only choice it would be the least likely to produce the best picture.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my tv can not do 720p...so i was asking which would be better? 480p or 1080i since those are my only option. thanks

Michael

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just like others have said before, you have to try it out and test it out yourself. The results will vary for different people.

Because your TV doesn't support 720p, chances are 1080i signal will be scaled down to 480 in your TV anyways, and you won't see any improvements.

If your TV can _display_ (not just handle) 1080i natively, using high quality upscaler to convert 480p to 1080i will make significant improvement in producing smooth pictures.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil
my tv can not do 720p...so i was asking which would be better? 480p or 1080i since those are my only option. thanks

Michael
You really need to include what exact make model your tv is to get any decent answer to this question...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have and older model 46" Mitsu WT-46809 T.V. This only allows for 1080i. Using my DVB318 via component only, I can only change resolution between 480p and 1080i. Switching to 720p gives me a scrambled picture. I do notice however that the Zenith makes a marked improvement while upconverting to 1080i. A comparison would be: If you are nearsighted, it's like putting on your glasses for 1080i and taking them off for 480p. I would like to know if there are any regular progressive units that offer the same P.Q. for a more reasonable cost, as I heard they exist, I just don't know which ones.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenoise
I have and older model 46" Mitsu WT-46809 T.V. This only allows for 1080i. Using my DVB318 via component only, I can only change resolution between 480p and 1080i. Switching to 720p gives me a scrambled picture. I do notice however that the Zenith makes a marked improvement while upconverting to 1080i. A comparison would be: If you are nearsighted, it's like putting on your glasses for 1080i and taking them off for 480p. I would like to know if there are any regular progressive units that offer the same P.Q. for a more reasonable cost, as I heard they exist, I just don't know which ones.
The following is just my perception and vision, and is in no way scientific. Some players (Samsung 850, LG 418) have a substandard 480p signal, so when you switch them to 1080i, it appears to be a tremendous improvement. With these players, I experienced the glasses-off, glasses-on feeling. However, better players (Panasonic S77) have a 480p picture that is very good, and the difference between 480p and unconversion is much less evident.

Good progressive pictures for reasonable cost:

Pioneer 285

Pioneer 588

Sony NS50

There are probably others.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
On many displays (tosh 50hx81 in particular), while the set accepts 480p, 480p is not a native scan rate and is internally upconverted to 540p. If this is done poorly, then even the best 480p signal will look like crap. In these cases, bypassing the internal upconvert makes a huge difference. For me with my tosh (above), upconversion is the only way to go. Of course, YMMV.

Best,

jeff

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I sent a 1080i signal to my native 1080i hd crt direct view set and the results were very impressive. It looked better than my 60 in lcd set with the same player hooked up. I think the sets perform better if they can receive a native signal. I would recommend getting the player that can send 1080i to your set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.