AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of the video artifacts I am continuing to see when watching upconverted DVDs on my Panny '10A and keeping the HDMI RESOLUTION on "AUTO" (which seems to send my Sony SXRD rear projection set a 1080p signal, as confirmed by the onscreen display) -- including horrible combing, bleeding and weird "pixelation" in rich, dark colors and background blacks -- I was considering dropping the HDMI resolution down to "480p" when watching regular DVDs on this player, as it seems to eliminate some of this video noise, yet does un-sharpen the image a bit compared to 1080...


But, my question is this: is 480p over HDMI the same thing, essentially, as 480p over component? Would it yield the same results at the end of the day? If I find that the 480p setting in the HDMI Resolution menu is providing slightly better results for DVD playback than the 1080p setting, would keeping the setting on 480p through the HDMI hookup be the same as the component cables hookup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Camry SE /forum/post/12859497


Because of the video artifacts I am continuing to see when watching upconverted DVDs
Read the link in my sig !!

Quote:
is 480p over HDMI the same thing, essentially, as 480p over component?

Yes.


If your player and display can handle it, try 480i over HDMI. This way your display will do all the scaling in one place!


.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/12860657

Read the link in my sig !!


Yes.


If your player and display can handle it, try 480i over HDMI. This way your display will do all the scaling in one place!


.

Thanks a million for the help, Cavu; I'll read the link when I get a free second...with regard to your second suggestion, my Blu-ray player will NOT support 480i, only HDMI resolutions from 480p and higher....should I set the player to 480p then when watching regular DVDs? The upconversion simply looks horrible...


And you're sure 480p over HDMI is the same thing as over component?


Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Camry SE /forum/post/12861000


should I set the player to 480p then when watching regular DVDs? The upconversion simply looks horrible...

This reminds me of the joke where the guys says to his doctor "It hurts when I do this ..." so the Doctor says, "Stop doing that!"
Quote:
And you're sure 480p over HDMI is the same thing as over component?

Yes.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/12861087


This reminds me of the joke where the guys says to his doctor "It hurts when I do this ..." so the Doctor says, "Stop doing that!"
Yes.

LOL....okay...I get your point....thanks...



Let me say this, though: I just finished watching OFFICE SPACE on DVD, and before I put the disc in, I switched the Blu-ray player's HDMI resolution to 480p and started the disc...the film looked okay, but not noticeably better than I have been bragging about in comparison to upconverted 1080p material...then, in the middle of a scene, I switched the resolution back to AUTO, which shows my TV 1080p, and the film didnt look all that much different than at 480p...I didnt know what the heck to make of this, so I just ran it at 1080 (AUTO resolution)...


But now let me ask you this: I have been having a discussion with some members over in the Displays side of the forum, regarding the behavior of my Sony SXRD set...someone there told me that NO MATTER WHAT THE PLAYER'S RESOLUTION IS SET TO VIA HDMI, THE TV WILL ALWAYS DISPLAY 1080p BECAUSE IT'S A FIXED PANEL DISPLAY....do you believe this is true, and then if so, what SHOULD I leave my Blu-ray player's output on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Camry SE /forum/post/12862359


O MATTER WHAT THE PLAYER'S RESOLUTION IS SET TO VIA HDMI, THE TV WILL ALWAYS DISPLAY 1080p BECAUSE IT'S A FIXED PANEL DISPLAY

Every digital display only has one "native resolution" and this is the only actual resolution it can display! This is determined by the number of physical picture elements (pixels) which make up the display.


I don't know what display you have but the manual will state what the "native resolution" is.


Unless your source happens to be exactly the same resolution as your display, the display electronics will up/down convert the incoming signal to its native resolution before it is displayed.


*IF* your display and source resolution are EXACTLY the same *AND IF* the scaler circuitry in the display can be defeated, then the signal from the source will go directly to the display without modification. This is what your should strive for. However, most "720p" LCD and plasma displays use a bastard (non-HDTV-standard) resolution, typically 1366x768. There are no matching real-world sources for that resolution so the display must convert evry single source you feed it to this stupid resolution anf the scaler circuitry cannot be defeated.


Because the image is distorted every time it is scaled, the cardinal rule of image scaling is ... "IF YOU HAVE TO SCALE AT ALL, DO IT ONLY ONCE!"


Hence my suggestion to feed 480i from your DVD player to your display and let the display do all the work, one-time!


Clear as mud??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every digital display only has one "native resolution" and this is the only actual resolution it can display! This is determined by the number of physical picture elements (pixels) which make up the display.


Okay, so this entire conversation we have been having regarding sending true 480p from my player to the screen and let it DISPLAY as 480p is moot because at the end of the day, the screen will ONLY display 1080p, either upscaled from the player or upscaled from the TV?

I don't know what display you have but the manual will state what the "native resolution" is.


As I said, I believe it's Sony's "A2020" series; it's a 50" SXRD rear projection that they don't make anymore.

Unless your source happens to be exactly the same resolution as your display, the display electronics will up/down convert the incoming signal to its native resolution before it is displayed.


But what about in MY particular situation? I'm running a Panasonic Blu-ray player via HDMI (going from my player to my Onkyo receiver and then another HDMI cable is going out from the receiver to the Sony display), and by leaving the HDMI RESOLUTION output of the PLAYER on "AUTO" setting, this seems to send a 1080p signal to the SXRD (it reads "1080p" when I press DISPLAY on the remote)...BUT...DVDs are 480i by native standards, right? So then leaving the player on AUTO is UPCONVERTING the DVD signal to 1080p, so then what is the DISPLAY doing at that point? Nothing?


If I leave the PLAYER on 480p, the set is just going to upconvert that to 1080, right? Either way, I CAN'T GET real 480p? Now, people may hear all this and think I'm crazy for WANTING 480p over 1080, but I am trying to get rid of all the video junk and noise that seems to plague DVD playback at 1080p...I thought dropping the resolution to 480p would do this, but I am finding that EITHER WAY, I cannot see anything else other than 1080p on this set...


*IF* your display and source resolution are EXACTLY the same *AND IF* the scaler circuitry in the display can be defeated, then the signal from the source will go directly to the display without modification. This is what your should strive for.


Right...I'd like to get 480p from this player for DVD PLAYBACK ONLY, but I don't think I can defeat the display's upscaling to 1080p...

However, most "720p" LCD and plasma displays use a bastard (non-HDTV-standard) resolution, typically 1366x768. There are no matching real-world sources for that resolution so the display must convert evry single source you feed it to this stupid resolution anf the scaler circuitry cannot be defeated.


Well, as far as I know, my SXRD is a 1080p set...

Because the image is distorted every time it is scaled, the cardinal rule of image scaling is ... "IF YOU HAVE TO SCALE AT ALL, DO IT ONLY ONCE!"


Well, I don't know what the hell we're talking about here anymore Cavu; if I watch DVDs on this Blu-ray player, what should I leave the HDMI resolution on? Should I just keep all watching -- Blu ray and DVD -- on the AUTO setting? How do I know which way does the fewest conversions and scalings?

Hence my suggestion to feed 480i from your DVD player to your display and let the display do all the work, one-time!


But again: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SETTING ON THIS BLU-RAY PLAYER FOR 480i OUTPUT OVER HDMI...AND THAT'S THE ONLY CONNECTION I AM WORKING WITH...there are selections, for HDMI, for 480p and up...

Clear as mud??


Boy do I wish...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Camry SE /forum/post/12869584


the screen will ONLY display 1080p, either upscaled from the player or upscaled from the TV?

Correct.
Quote:
it's Sony's "A2020" series; it's a 50" SXRD rear projection

The specs are available online .
Quote:
leaving the player on AUTO is UPCONVERTING the DVD signal to 1080p, so then what is the DISPLAY doing at that point? Nothing?

Correct! (Hopefully)
Quote:
I am finding that EITHER WAY, I cannot see anything else other than 1080p on this set.

Correct.
Quote:
if I watch DVDs on this Blu-ray player, what should I leave the HDMI resolution on?

Allowing the BD player to upscale the SD-DVD to 1080 is probably the best ... in that case the image is only being scaled ONCE - in the player. Setting it to 480p in the player may also work ... the player is deinterlacing the SD-DVD from 480i to 480p and then the Sony TV is upscaling it from 480p to 1080p. This isn't as good as sending a 480i raw native signal to the TV but that could still be considered a one time processing with part in the player and part in the TV.


But, in the end, try all the settings and choose the one that looks best to you.


You will never get as good an SD-DVD image on a 1080p display as you will on a dedicated 480p display but that point is indeed moot in your case.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top