Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a optoma dv10 projector

resolution is

480p (854 x 480) Native,

SXGA+ (1400 x 1050) Compressed

my pos htpc

is there anypoint in upgrading my htpc to a c2d system or a new video card? cpu usage is 40-60% using wmp

or will it be a waste to go c2d because of the low native res?

(my bad if this is a dumb question)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a Infocus 4805 and will be putting together another computer here soon.

Even though it's only 480p, Dish-HD looks fantastic on it, better than any DVD upconverted by my current HTPC. Haven't watched any HD-DVD or BR disc on it yet but I'm sure it will look much better. I would'nt let it stop you from upgrading, when the time comes to get another PJ or TV with a higher rez you will be ready to go. Me personally, I am waiting for 1080p projectors to go sub $1k before I upgrade my PJ.

peace

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not upgrading to a 720/1080 projector (just bought the dv10 not that long ago)

my htpc was used on my plasma (replaced by my ps3) for a good year before it moved over to the projector

I see everyone on avs building these monster c2d/htpc's

just not sure if I will have any gains if I build one for my projector (other than speed)

anyone else with a new rig for a old projector have any comments if it's worth it or not?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I really don't see much point in building a new PC just to go above the native res of the display if that's what you're asking. You can build a really nice HTPC now if you want, but it sounds like by the time you upgrade your PJ to take advantage of it that HTPC won't be that nice anymore.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've got an old projector too with the same res. I download 720p MKVs all the time. Lost looks amazing, if only the show wasn't dragging out a good concept for 3 seasons too long.

A 480p projector can take advantage of higher res formats. After all a DVD is already scaled up from 720x480 to 854x480 and that image contains mpeg2 artifiacts. A downscaled HD source takes advantage of every single pixel.

IMHO if you're really getinng upgraditis justify the expense by going dual purpose. Time to get into video editing?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I also have a dv10. Currently I run from my htpc at 720p; I see a definate increase in quality with 720p/1080i vs 480p. The picture is less blocky, sharper, smoother... a lot of differences.

Personally, if I were you I'd upgrade the htpc somewhat; you don't have to create a monster, unless eventually you plan on pvr with HD or something. Just get something capable of 1080p maybe. Then in a couple years or less you can go to a 1080p projector.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys

I just wasnt sure if 720p/1080i would do anything to this oldie projector

hmm going to try to see if I can push out 720p with another vcard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts