AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a budget of $900 and I'm trying to decide between an Infocus In72 projector or a 32" vizio lcd. I would be watching about 40% movies on dvd, 40% tv, and 20% gaming(ps2, xbox, gamecube). Is the larege 480p picture good enough to justify not buying an hdtv?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
670 Posts
def get the 720p, you will get the upgrade bug if you only get 480, dvd to hd difference is pretty drastic, 720p looks amazing, just think a couple years down the line, your dvd player might be a hd dvd or Red Ray or whatever the hell Sony calls their products these days

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Like they all said: get the 720P PJ. Many like the mits and I'm sure it's good. I own the Optoma HD70 and love it. The Mits wouldn't work in my HT as the offset is too steep. The HD70 barely works.

Do a search on "offset" if you need to know what it means. If your ceiling is low you'll need to know. My HT ceiling is 7'.

And in 6 months or so if you still need an LCD panel TV you'll find you can get a 37" or 42" for the same as you'll pay for a 32" today.

Check out Costco for good Vizio deals. (Instore, not online.)

·
Registered
464 Posts
SD on my mits 1000u looks better than LCD or DLP RP. There is really no contest, get the mits. I've only had 9 projectors, the mits is mind blowing.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Heh the Mits is 'only' my third projector but there is no reason to think it'd look worse for SD stuff. I can't say for sure it's got a vastly superior deinterlacer, could be SLIGHTLY (and highly arguably) worse for SD DVD than a pixel mapped 480p, but since it's got way way way more pixels, you can sit a lot closer (or have a bigger screen, let me say you can sit closer to a larger screen, ratio-wise) without seeing SDE that plagues huge 480p screens (unless you sit 2x away from them).

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianomanAA23 /forum/post/0

Hello all,

I have a budget of $900 and I'm trying to decide between an Infocus In72 projector or a 32" vizio lcd. I would be watching about 40% movies on dvd, 40% tv, and 20% gaming(ps2, xbox, gamecube). Is the larege 480p picture good enough to justify not buying an hdtv?

Thanks in advance

Since nobody else is willing to mention it, get the HD1000

DVDs and high quality encoded SD look fantastic on it. Easily obtainable for less than $900. 720p also has less screen door than a 480p unit.

BTW, just to shake things up, you can get the IN72 for less than $500 if you look. However, in the end I'm happy with 720P. If you watch HD you will notice a difference with HD material versus DVD. When I first got it I was mostly watching DVDs. Now that I am used to HD, the DVDs, while still looking good, look soft.

I got the HD1000u projector, 108" electric screen, switches, and connecting cables all for about $1200. A bargain compared with rear projection or flat panel alternatives.

-Mike

-Mike

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
Check out the DIY screens forum HERE . I built mine out of a "Doable" board ($15 @ Home Depot plus about $15 in wood stiffeners and glue). It is 100" diagonal and quite good.

As for speakers I bought my Athenas (2 AS-B1s, an AS-C1 center) at BB for about $100: open box w/10% off coupon. I bought 2 ASIC8s (inceiling) Athenas on eBay for about $50. The sound is excellent. The speakers forum here is a good place to get ideas.

Good luck.

·
Banned
284 Posts

Quote:

this would be my first projector, what would you guys recommend for an inexpensive screen and speaker solution?

I have my eyes on this, but it all depends on what you consider inexpensive. I think having a 1080p upconverting dvd player and a all in one speaker system for $999 is a damn good deal.

Philips HTS8100 SoundBar

The CNET editors also awarded "Best of CES" awards in ten categories. Winners include:

1. Cameras and camcorders: Sony HDR-HC7

2. Car tech: Dash Navigation Dash Express

3. Cell phones: Verizon Wireless V Cast TV

4. Computers: Microsoft Windows Vista

5. Emerging tech: Powercast

6. Gaming: Alienware Area 51 m9750

7. Home audio: Philips HTS8100 SoundBar

8. Home video: LG BH100

9. MP3 and portable audio: SanDisk Sansa Connect

10. TVs: Samsung FP-T5894W

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070110/20070110006117.html?.v=1

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:

Hello all,

Thanks in advance

First things first. If you want LCD don't even think about SDTV. These babies demand a high protein hi def diet ONLY. 480p CGI DVDs look good but just about everything else low def looks terrible. (BTW, 720p is HDTV) Games ,of course, will look great.

With 720p PJs under a grand now, why settle for a PUNY TV? A little light control, a good signal, and a DIY screen brings you full focus. Enjoy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.