AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and appreciate all the help I will be getting. My question is: Last night I watched "Titus" on Fox which says it is broadcast in 480P (progressive), and couldn't seem to get the entire picture in my screen unless I watched it in 4:3 mode. When I was in 16:9 the edges were cut off. Any reason why this would happen? Does that mean if I get a Progressive scan DVD Player, the same thing will happen. Just trying to understand. By the way, I have the Sony XBR400 with the HD-100 STB.

Also, with my set up, does it matter which component video input I use on the back of the XBR? I currently have the STB going to Component 5 and the DVD going to Component 6. Thanks all.

------------------

Cabber

Sony KV-36XBR400

Sony SAT-HD100

Sony DVP-S560D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cabber:
New to the forum and appreciate all the help I will be getting. My question is: Last night I watched "Titus" on Fox which says it is broadcast in 480P (progressive), and couldn't seem to get the entire picture in my screen unless I watched it in 4:3 mode. When I was in 16:9 the edges were cut off. Any reason why this would happen?

If you are talking about the X of FOX logo is half off, it has nothing to do with 480p. It's pure FOX idiotic act. When they put on their bug, they forgot every TV has overscan and put it next to the very edge.

Does that mean if I get a Progressive scan DVD Player, the same thing will happen. Just trying to understand. By the way, I have the Sony XBR400 with the HD-100 STB.

Also, with my set up, does it matter which component video input I use on the back of the XBR? I currently have the STB going to Component 5 and the DVD going to Component 6. Thanks all.

No, it does not matter. Both component input on XBR400 are 1080i/480p/480i capable.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Also, Fox is broadcasting in 14:9 here in Seattle which leaves about 1/2 inch black border on the sides. Maybe they are doing the same there? (On 36XBR400 as well)

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
756 Posts
The local affiliate here in Boston knows of the problem and hasn't fixed it so I assume FOX broadcasts it that way.

You'd think that would be something simple to fix.

For those of you that get 14:9 versions, call your local FOX station and ask them to go 4:3, if you prefer that ratio for 4:3 programming. Our FOX affiliate did as well as our CBS affiliate.

Our FOX affiliate also was transmitting a 720p signal for the longest time, up until about a month ago, and now does 480p. It's a shame since the difference is dramatic. At 720p, it looked like a good progressive scan DVD. At 480p, it really looks no better than 480i.

It really bothers me when we take a step backwards, ala MNF.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think this is a product of how you have your television and receiver set up. The way I understand it, having a Fujitsu plasma and a Sony HD-100 is this...

Since my Fujitsu is a 16:9 display, if you set the Sony receiver to "16:9" display, it will fill the screen by centering the picture (thus cutting of the top and bottom of a 4:3 signal). When I set the Sony to "4:3" display, the picture has bars on the left and right.

Additionally, if I use anything other than component inputs (s-video or composite) on the Fujitsu I can scale the 4:3 signal to 16:9.

So, I'd say you may be able to make you situation better based on how you have things set up. Ideally the stretch setting should be in the Sony Receiver, but of course, it isn't - as it is not a very mature product (or at least that's my opinion).

As to your DVD player... no I doubt you will have these problems with your DVD player... though depending on how you configure the settings, you may be able to create the same situation.

Just a guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.