AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 802 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Guys just some info and you ignore it if you want, i got the European 55 950 which to you is the 9500 model so i strongly recommend if you find it with a small difference in price take it instead of the 8500.
It's much better tv with 200hz panel and almost 1/3 of the problems that the 8500 has. I don't know if anyone here have it to share his thoughts but my story is that i bought at 5 of June the 850 and because it got a white burned line from top to bottom and also because LG never gave me a gift which was a bluray when they told me they will change it i asked them if it was possible to forget the bluray and to give me the 950.
With this in mind i have personal home experience of both models and i suggest for a decent money (i suppose not more than 200$) you will not regret it.

My 2 cents, if you wanna ask something you are free to do it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, new poster, long time lurker here. Just purchased this tv and I'm having some setup issues using it as a PC monitor.

Let me start by saying coming from a Panny Plasma this is going to take some getting used to. Despite it not having the contrast ratio I'm used to, it's still a beautiful panel.

My questions...
-I have my PC (HD 7970 GPU) connected via HDMI to my Yamaha RXV675 receiver then to the HDMI 3 on the display. But for the life of me I cannot get it to display 1080p at 120hz. I'm not entirely sure if the GPU will output 120hz over hdmi or if it only does on the display port, as I'm unable to find any solid evidence to support either.

-If I enable the UHD black setting (I think that's the name?) it says there is some sort of mismatch between the devices. How do I know if my devices are compatible?

-Is HDMI 3 the best port for my PC? Or would another yield better results?

Thanks for the help! I've read through this thread twice now, and it's been very helpful!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Guys just some info and you ignore it if you want, i got the European 55 950 which to you is the 9500 model so i strongly recommend if you find it with a small difference in price take it instead of the 8500.
It's much better tv with 200hz panel and almost 1/3 of the problems that the 8500 has. I don't know if anyone here have it to share his thoughts but my story is that i bought at 5 of June the 850 and because it got a white burned line from top to bottom and also because LG never gave me a gift which was a bluray when they told me they will change it i asked them if it was possible to forget the bluray and to give me the 950.
With this in mind i have personal home experience of both models and i suggest for a decent money (i suppose not more than 200$) you will not regret it.

My 2 cents, if you wanna ask something you are free to do it
Can you share the problems that you encountered with the 8500?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Can you share the problems that you encountered with the 8500?
Well some banding and crosstalk in bottom left especially when i was using subtitles and since English is not my native language i had troubles in 3d but believe it or not i was among the ones with the less noticeable problems.
The point is with 950 i dont notice almost nothing really that's why i suggest it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
howdy folks. long time lurker, occasional poster.

just picked the the lg55ub8500 at microcenter...$850 sale price.

this unit is replacing a 47" vizio lcd from 2008. my vizio was and still is a great set for me. honestly had some cash and wanted to treat myself to a new toy. when i got the microcenter coupon, i was all in and put it on hold.

picked it up yesterday, turned it on, first instinct was lackluster. all the reviews glare about how good this set is. i don't own any 4k content, nor really am interested in purchasing any. more or less thought the upgrade in TV, without changing the source/content would provide this fantastic picture i have read about. several pages prior someone mentioned how they plugged the set in and it just 'POPPED', their Nadia G cooking show looked fantastic. nothing has 'popped' for me yet. seems like my vizio when i'm surfing DTV.

i haven't got that feeling yet, little bit buyers remorse. part of me thinks i should saved the cash and got the 60LB7100 instead.

am i expecting too much from this new set? is something not setup right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I just got the LG 55UB8500 and I'm having technical
trouble, The TV box and LG 's website tells
about LG’s Tru-Ultra HD 4K Engine that is to up-convert all of your Blu-rays, DVD’s and TV programs to nearly 4K

That is the TV does the up-converting, does yours TV up-convert ?

I have gone thru Hell with LG Customer Service, got my tv on the 1/12/15 and call LG 7 time and hours on the phone
and the technology is so new they have no info in there data files on it. All i get is 1080P from my blu-ray player, and Directv.

They tried saying that i had to have a 4k source but i said what would be the point of Tru-Ultra HD Engine, why
would up-convert a 4k source Please help me.

does your tv up-convert to near 4k and does it said the up-converted resolution? If it does not say up-converted
resolution how do you now it is working, i know it's not going to 4k but i can not see no better picture
at all looks same as before:confused: Thanks

Ps updated to news firmware,
tried all ports, different cables,
and all setting in the menu.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The tv upconverts everything but the result is not always better than a good 1080p tv and the reason for this is that for every pixel the tv converts that to 4 for 1080p content, as you understand most tvs are not so good in this like a deticated device for upscale like a DVDO so here is the compromise. The tv blossom with 4k content but there are not available yet except some streaming services like netflix.

Personally i like my tv and i work it mainly with an i7 pc with a nvidia 970 and whatever i watch is upscale from pc with madvr and im pretty happy with the result.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The tv upconverts everything but the result is not always better than a good 1080p tv and the reason for this is that for every pixel the tv converts that to 4 for 1080p content, as you understand most tvs are not so good in this like a deticated device for upscale like a DVDO so here is the compromise. The tv blossom with 4k content but there are not available yet except some streaming services like netflix.

Personally i like my tv and i work it mainly with an i7 pc with a nvidia 970 and whatever i watch is upscale from pc with madvr and im pretty happy with the result.
so very similar to issues with watching 480p SD content on a HDTV....sometimes blurry?

kinda disappointed. got some thinking to do today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi I just got the LG 55UB8500 and I'm having technical
trouble, The TV box and LG 's website tells
about LG’s Tru-Ultra HD 4K Engine that is to up-convert all of your Blu-rays, DVD’s and TV programs to nearly 4K

That is the TV does the up-converting, does yours TV up-convert ?

I have gone thru Hell with LG Customer Service, got my tv on the 1/12/15 and call LG 7 time and hours on the phone
and the technology is so new they have no info in there data files on it. All i get is 1080P from my blu-ray player, and Directv.

They tried saying that i had to have a 4k source but i said what would be the point of Tru-Ultra HD Engine, why
would up-convert a 4k source Please help me.

does your tv up-convert to near 4k and does it said the up-converted resolution? If it does not say up-converted
resolution how do you now it is working, i know it's not going to 4k but i can not see no better picture
at all looks same as before:confused: Thanks

Ps updated to news firmware,
tried all ports, different cables,
and all setting in the menu.
A 1080 source only has 1/4 the pixels of the panel. You know that upscaling is working if the image fills the screen. Upscaling is always on for everything except 4K sources (Netflix 4K, 4K format on USB stick, etc).

Whether upscaling is going to make the picture look "better" is subjective. Objectively, the upscaler is "filling in the blanks" as they do not simply duplicate every pixel to 4 of the same (that would look blocky). People often described upscaled content as "smoother". There is a lot of educated guesswork in determining what the new pixels between the source pixels should be, but it's still guesswork.

Google "Upscaled 1080P vs Native 4K" for a good explanation from red.com. (Sorry, my post count is too low to include URLs directly.)

·
Registered
870 Posts
so very similar to issues with watching 480p SD content on a HDTV....sometimes blurry?

kinda disappointed. got some thinking to do today.
Well with 1st firmwares my old lg plasma had better picture in sd channels but after some updates the tv is fine now.

Keep in mind the size that your old tv was... i mean off course i understood some time that my old 42" was better than my new 55" and i cannot think the sok i would had get if i had the 65" .

·
Registered
294 Posts
Got in on the Microcenter deal and my set has some darkening/clouding at the top Left and right edges too [about 5 inches on both sides] like others have mentioned. At the price I paid, I wonder if I should try to get it replaced. I don't think I can get Microcenter to check another unit in the store to be sure I get a better one. Do you think I should try, as I have 15 days to do a return or replacement. I should probably have tried to get Best Buy to match the price, but from reading their price match info, special limited quantity sales wouldn't qualify.

Also, do you think I should get an extended warranty for the set? Would it be worth it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Got in on the Microcenter deal and my set has some darkening/clouding at the top Left and right edges too [about 5 inches on both sides] like others have mentioned. At the price I paid, I wonder if I should try to get it replaced. I don't think I can get Microcenter to check another unit in the store to be sure I get a better one. Do you think I should try, as I have 15 days to do a return or replacement. I should probably have tried to get Best Buy to match the price, but from reading their price match info, special limited quantity sales wouldn't qualify.

Also, do you think I should get an extended warranty for the set? Would it be worth it?
I traded mine in due to the cloudiness in the top corners. It was making me nuts. While my replacement unit is much better, there is still some cloudiness in the corners. If you aren't happy, I would exchange it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Firmware version:
Got 49UB8500 which has firmware 4.30.X. An update is available of 4.50.X. Is it safe to update. Any feedback on new firmware. Will it allow to play 4K files via USB 3.0

Also is it possible to run the panel at 2560 X 1440 on port 1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picture Issues

Hey Guys just purchased the 55UB8500 so far I'm kinda disappointed.....Here's my complaints:

1. Regular TV (via comcast X1 routed through XBox One, plugged into port 3) doesn't look that great.

2. I thought this TV was 120Hz, but it's only showing 1080p 60Hz in the menu bar when you click the Home Button, (via comcast X1 routed through XBox One, plugged into port 3)

On the Plus side, I wanted Batman The Dark Knight and it was absolutely amazing! Also watched 4k Youtube Videos (via the Youtube app built into the TV) and that was amazing as well.

I was most interested in the up-scaling and 120Hz for sports. My old Samsung 40" LED tv had horrible motion blur when the camera would pan in a football game.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My HD stations look fine to me [my cable box is U-Verse @ 1080i]. Bluray movies are great and 3D, even more so. My only concern is with the clouding I mentioned at the top edges of the screen. It's not really noticeable unless the screen is solid and brightly colored. If the pic is showing lots of detail, then it's not really noticeable. I've had many LCD/LED monitor and TV panels over the years, and none have been perfect yet! Might talk to Microcenter where I got mine, and see if I can talk them into hooking up a new one and seeing if it is any better, but I'm not sure they'll do this. It might not be ANY better anyhow.

I do have a question though.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 tablet and I can't get it to connect to the TV to mirror my tablet's screen. I keep getting a notice about a hardware problem from the tablet. The LG is connected to the AT&T Router by wired Ethernet and I'm trying to get the tablet to connect wirelessly.

Can anyone help me with this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 tablet and I can't get it to connect to the TV to mirror my tablet's screen. I keep getting a notice about a hardware problem from the tablet. The LG is connected to the AT&T Router by wired Ethernet and I'm trying to get the tablet to connect wirelessly.

Can anyone help me with this issue.
Probably not going to be much help, but I have an LG gpad and I can connect to the TV. Some issue between Samsung and LG maybe?

361 - 380 of 802 Posts