Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys...got a quick question. I have a 49tx,divas all the way around,and

hsu sub. I love the 49tx with the divas,but ive gotten the "bug"

The question is...will I gain a whole lot by using my 49tx as a prepro and then using either the b&k ref2220/ref3220 for 5 chnls. or the b&k 7250

newer amp? Will the B&ks really make my divas sing even better?

Can i use the 49tx's amp for the surround back 6th channel?

Thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
I went that route. Now using a Yamaha rx-v3200 as rear surround amp and a pre-pro for the separate 3 channel amp in the front.

Yes, I hear a significant improvement driving my 4 ohm mains at higher db levels. Much more headroom and dynamics to the sound. YMMV! ;)

Terry

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have b&k amps and they do make the divas sing. You may just want to get a 2 or 3 channel amp and drive your front speakers.

Have fun !

Sreeni

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
A big amp can make a difference given certain speakers and certain rooms. However if you aren't pushing the Diva's very hard now with the 49TX, and given that the receiver is handling them as a load just fine, then the difference could be more psychological than real. After all, the 49TX's amp section is fairly decent. And if you are using a powered sub, then the receiver is not having to drive the deep, powerful bass notes - which is the most demanding aspect for an amp.

So do you have any sense that your 49TX is having any problems in your room? Does it shut down occasionally? Go into clipping? Do you have a sense of constricted dynamics?

It is my take that Diva's aren't a particular difficult speaker to drive. The benchtests I've seen on the 49TX showed that it could produce 144 watts per channel with 6 channels driven, and could hit 289 watt peaks into 1 channel at 4 ohms. It is hard for me to imagine that the Diva's need more power than this from the mid-bass on up. But maybe if you have them in a very large room and like to push volume levels up to reference and beyond. I've clipped 89dB efficient speakers in a large room with a 180wpc amp. So it certainly can be done.

Now if you were using some big Martin-Logan speakers in full-range mode in a large room, they would put your 49TX onto its knees!

Tom B.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was using the 49tx to drive some 6 ohm NHTs which sounded great using the 49tx auto calibration. Then I get the upgrade-itis bug and decide to use the 49tx as a pre/pro and added QSC Digital Cinema Amps (325 watts/channel @6 ohms) to the equation. Big improvement. Now hearing more details than I ever heard before and the surrounds in particular have finally come alive. Keep in mind that the 49tx only produces 144 watts/channel with all channels being driven (according to Sound & Vision magazine) and that like many receivers, it appears to focus more power to the mains and center than it does to the surrounds. For me at least, adding seperate amps to the 49tx made a big difference.

Good Luck,

Mark

·
Registered
479 Posts
washguy, I'm looking to do the exact same thing with my 49TX.

Check out "Best 7.1 Channel AMP" thread?

Let me know what you do?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I added a Sherbourn 5/1500A to help my 47TX drive my Dyns :D .

Harlan

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Not that I use a receiver anymore, but being able to "hear more" is why I bought a Cinepro 3K6-III 6x400 amp with gain controls for all channels.

The Cinepro amps are extremely quiet, with something like a 122db s/n ratio. Less background noise = more music to be heard. Because of its extra clarity, my Cinepro powers my mains' tweeters and my 4 surrounds.

- Andy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys......Well, I bought a b&K 7250 last nite. The price was too good to pass up...LOL...good excuse right? The amp does make a difference!

Talk 'bout making the divas sing! The amp is awesome in HT,and sacd's

dvd-a's really come alive........Washguy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.