AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is (well past) time to replace my Sony STR-DE835, and I am considering the above receivers. Utilization is about 35% film-based multi-channel, 50% video-based two channel stereo, and 15% stereo music. So, I am looking for quality two channel to 7.1 conversion. Being new to 7.1 channels, I am a little unsure of what the best alogarithms are. I know DPL II converts 2 channel stereo or dolby surround to 5.1 and I hear it does it quite well. DPL IIX does this for 7.1 channels, but will only be on the 59txi AFAIK. What about Logic 7, and do these receivers even have it (from what I can tell, they do not)?

So, what do people with a 49txi (and the forthcoming RX-Z9) do to enjoy 2 channel sources in 7.1, and how good does it sound?

I will be buying new speakers, so that isn't a consideration as to which receiver I go with. I'm guessing that I can get the 49txi for less than half of what the other two will cost, so that is appealing. Plus, it is available now...

What do you think?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I didn't actually read the press release yet. I wish Pioneer believed in firmware upgrades, as that would make this an easy decision.

Thinking more about my question, I am aware of the multitude of sound fields simulating various rooms, especially on the Yamaha, for music. My concern is more with television. Does that help?

·
Registered
761 Posts
you won't get a 49TXi for anywhere near half off of what you could get a 59TXi that would be like $1000. You probably get for a couple hundred less and not much more. Personally 7.1 matrix surround sound isn't important to me I don't really use it but the 49TXi does have DTS Neo 6 which is 6.1 instead of 7.1. If I use any DSP for video games I tend to use DTS Neo 6 more often than DPLII. I personally don't see DPLIIx as a must have feature there isn't that much difference like there was between DPL and DPLII and I can easily live without it. It take it that you're interested in the i.Link and room correction features and that is why the 5803 is not on your list? I'd expect Denon to release an i.Link upgrade with DPLIIx and maybe just maybe a room correction feature but that wouldn't be until January.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Daniel. I am thinking about a DVD-A/SACD iLink enabled player, so that was a consideration, and I do find room correction appealing, as my room has some challenges. I have given the Denon some consideration though.

What is the expected retail of the 59txi?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Although not relevant to the question you asked, I too upgraded from a Sony STR DE-835... although to a Pioneer 45TX! An excellent upgrade with significant improvements in all aspects.

I am sure you will be thrilled with either a 49Txi or a 59TXi.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, encouragement is always welcome (even if my wife doesn't think so)! Glad you like your 45tx. The Sony got its walking papers when a hum started the sub output. Checked the solder connections on the jack (had this problem with Sony receivers before), but I didn't try too hard...

Daniel, you mentioned using DTS Neo6. What does it do with a 7.1 system? Are the two rear channels acting as a rear center, and the side channels rear left and right?

·
Registered
761 Posts
yes that's how it works.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a 49txi. I am not sure there is much reason to upgrade from the 49txi to the 59txi. However, I would think you could probably get a 59txi when it is released about the same as you could a 49txi today.

If so, I would get the 59txi.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
When is the 59TXi expected to be released?

Also, how much power (in watts) does the 49/59 TXi consume? I'm hoping to use a UPS with this. So the power requirements are essential to decide on the UPS capacity.

Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mpedris

Also, how much power (in watts) does the 49/59 TXi consume? I'm hoping to use a UPS with this. So the power requirements are essential to decide on the UPS capacity.

Thanks.
I believe it will be out in November (oops, I mean January). Check this thread for power ratings on the 49txi.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=300555

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpedris

Thanks.
Why would you want to add a UPS to your system? It will add no sonic or visual improvement to it and you would not be able to run your whole system off it very long in the event of a power loss and it offers no better surge protection then a standard surge protector. So, really its somewhat of a pointless thing to do. To answer your question the 49TXi according to its instruction manual consumes 720 watts, however it realistically consumes far less power then that, somewhere around 150 to 300 watts during an average volume level and source being driven through it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Agreed! Cancel the UPS idea. They are for Servers and Telecom, not Home Theater.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Grooms
Agreed! Cancel the UPS idea. They are for Servers and Telecom, not Home Theater.
The primary reason I need a UPS is mainly to be able to safely shutdown my projector, which runs the cooling fan for an additional 45 seconds after switch-off.

A secondary reason is the fact that every time there is a power outage (these are quite common here in Sri Lanka), for some reason all the settings in my receiver get reset. This used to NOT be the case initially, but now even a short (~5 min) outage would cause the settings to reset. Therefore, I have to change the settings every time I use the receiver after a power outage. A UPS would keep the minimal power supplied to the receiver for the receiver to be on STAND-BY, thus preventing the loss of customized values.

I wrote to APC asking about my requirements. Given below is their reply, for anyone who may have the same concerns I did. I must say APC responded very fast and seem to be most helpful.

I wrote them this:

Quote:
I have a Home Theater Receiver that consumes 600W (max) and a powered subwoofer that consumes 350W (max). I was contemplating on using a 2000VA UPS with this system.

I would appreciate if you could clarify the following for me:

1) Is it alright to use an A/V Receiver with a UPS?

2) Are there any associated problems with this combination (e.g. Inability of the UPS to handle peak levels, etc.)?

3) Is it alright to keep the UPS On-Line 24 hours of the day without ever switching it off? In order to keep my home theater system on stand-by, this is what I would have to do.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Manendra Pedris.

And, this was their reply:

Quote:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting APC's electronic support on 09/11/2003 03:37 PM regarding your inquiry. I would be glad to assist you.

Allow me to address your questions one at a time:

1. Yes. Using a UPS to provide back up for a home stereo is very common.

2. Electronics such as amplifiers have large capacitors, which need to charge up when you firs turn on the unit. This results in what we call an "in-rush current". Therefore, if you are planning to turn on your amplifier while the power is out, the draw will momentarily exceed that 600W rating. Therefore, we would suggest a unit capable up supporting at least 900VA for that amp. With the subwoofer included, you will want to go with at least a 1400VA unit. Therefore, the 2200 would be an excellent choice.

3. There is absolutely no problem with keeping these units on 24 hours a day. I would say 99% of our customers leave them running 365 days a year.

Although the SU2200NET would be the preferred choice, the input plug on that unit is a round 30 amp twist-lock plug, which would require installation by a licensed electrician. Therefore, you will most likely want to go with an SUA1500. I am very confident this unit will be able to support your equipment without fear of overloading, and the input is a standard 15A plug.

Have I satisfactorily answered all of your questions? If not, or if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me by responding to this incident. It would be my pleasure to ensure that your issue is quickly resolved!

Thank you for choosing APC!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.