Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have built my HTPC, now I'm trying to finalize the software part of it. I'm looking for more Cool graphical interface type of frontend. I like 4am Music Console a lot so I'm thinking of getting it.

Anyway, for overall frontend, do you think the Media Console is better than MainLobby? I never use any of those. I think MainLobby is done/support Flash. I'm a Flash developer so I might be able to create more skin for it. Features wise, which one is better/userfrienlier/expandable?

Thanks!

PS: If I get Muedia Console, I don't need Music Console right?

·
Registered
284 Posts
kc_moses,

4am Media Console hasn't been updated in a while. Bhavin has been concentrating on 4am Music Console, which I think is wonderful. He has stated that Media Console will be upgraded in the near future to look/feel like Music Console and he plans on adding many features.

MainLobby looks great, but for me seems to be overkill. I still haven't decided.

Media Console does not replace Music Console.

Sam

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi kc_moses,

4am Media Console will be undergoing a total redesign in the coming months, the main feature will be a totally new skinning engine (much like the one with 4am Music Console), client/server capabilities, and full integration with 4am Music Console (the one thing I'm most pumped about, I can't wait to have a nice screen in 4am Media Console showing me information about what 4am Music COnsole is doing :) ) In any case those are things to come, unfortunately there is not fixed timeframe, I can say that 4am Media Console will take at least 3 months before any of those features come about, in the meantime I'm going to be reprogramming from the ground up 4am Music Console to set it up for all the interaction features for the future 4am Media Console and to address some error handling issues etc...

Also I was very happy to hear that you are a flash designer... because my plan is to have both 4am Media Console and 4am Music Console support flash based skins, you just create your swf file, I'll provide the template file to follow that allows the backend engine to work with the skin to display all the information. The reason I want to go with a flash skin is that everyone here uses different resolutions and having vector based drawing will allow lossless scaling of the frontend. 4am Media Console already does that but doesn't have the ability to import users own skins, I want to add that to both products.

Well that's just a little info on what's up... I'm glad to see your will be using Music Console, and am always happy to get feedback and suggestions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OvernightTech,

Thanks for the reply. Have you thought about combining Music Console with Media console? I'm just trying to hit two birds with one stone :D

I'm surprise MainLobby is expensive, almost same price as Roxio CD Creator, consider it's a file management frontend tool.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi kc_moses,

I won't be combining Music and Media Console into one exe, mainly because i'm sure there are those who will want to use only one or the other. However the goal is to have them interact as if they were just one piece of software, that's where the interacting of both programs will come in. The way I envision the software right now, when it's fully implemented you shouldn't be able to tell that both pieces are infact two different running processes.

Hope that addresses the issue,

Bhavin

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Quote:
I'm surprise MainLobby is expensive, almost same price as Roxio CD Creator, consider it's a file management frontend tool.
KC_moses,

One thing to keep in mind is that MainLobby is not just a pretty face front end. It has a full-fledged design program (drag-n drop) built-in unlike any of the other programs out there. You have complete control over the look and feel. The closest thing to it would cost you over $500 and still not look as good. Not to mention 50+ background images, 350+ 3D and 2D buttons, 20+ predesigned Scene Templates, integration with the Slinke and soon support for the USB-UIRT IR blaster. Talk about the ultimate Pronto.

If you have Flash experience, you'll love MainLobby. You can even access folders and files from your hard drive. Try doing that in Flash alone.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Mario, I have great respect for your software. But to say there is nothing out there under $500 that does what it does is a bit of an exaggeration.

How does Main Lobby compare with Talisman, eg? Main Lobby may be more geared toward Home Theater, but then Talisman, being more general, can be used for many other things as well.

Not dissing Cinerama in any way, but I am interested in your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Hi dandrewk,

I don't really consider Talisman competition.

I guess it depends on what you want to do as to whether there is something out there less expensive.

For some, MainLobby may provide more than they need. For most, if it provides the look and feel they want, it's usually good enough.

Although it's been a while since I played with Talisman, when I did, it couldn't do everything I needed. It certainly wasn't going to control my home theater components. I may be mistaken, but I don't believe it integrates with Girder or at least offers native support.

Not sure it allows importing of Flash SWF files either and animation.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You might also consider myHTPC ( www.myhtpc.net ).

It doesn't quite have the graphic appeal of MainLobby (animations, flash, etc.), but it does have great capabilities for music and video file management. It also has an EPG and can control PVR software.

Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.