AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in design section previously and should have posted it here. I have a room that is 17' (length) x 13' (width). As you can see I have some challenges that will prevent me from doing in-ceiling speakers for the rear surrounds. I have a budget of roughly 4K to spend on all the equipment NOT including the TV. Our main activity will be watching movies in this room (Netflix, DVD, Blue Ray or streaming from a media server) and the kids game consoles. Do to the room construction it was recommended to go with wall mounts for the rear and side surrounds for a 7.1 system. The seating will be a couch seated about 1' in front of the window, can't pull it out much further. There will be single seating on the left and right sides slightly in front of the couch. I'm not entirely sold if going 7.1 gives me any advantage over 5.1 in a room this size. I figured I would start with speaker selection first since that would dictate what power I would need to drive them. Axiom was recommended earlier but I've read such negative comments about them that now I am exploring other options and could use some direction from the AVS community. I plan on installing a large screen TV and not doing projection at this time.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The couch will be too close to the back (window) wall to do 7.1. There are several 5.1 speaker packages and receivers in your price range. I can't recommend any as I have not heard any of them. Reviews are a useful tool but in the end you have to draw your own conclusion,

·
Registered
588 Posts
Based on the distance from tHe rears to your couch, I'd skip the rear surrounds. They could be more distracting than beneficial in creating the ambient surround sound field - but that is a personal preference. Do you have any gear at all? Blu ray player, receiver? You could probably get away with about $1k in gear and allocate the rest toward your speakers.

Edit- oops took too long to hit submit and g beat me to the punch. x2. So much for multi tasking

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like Frys has the Polk TSX 550s for 399.00 ea. . Think I'll pick up a couple tomorrow, also try to find the CSiA6 on line for the center speaker. Hopefully it won't hurt to combine the TSx with the CSiA6. Think I'l use a Devon AVR-E300 as my AVR. Just need to select a good sub and figure out what to do about the wall mounted surrounds. Looking at these http://www.fluance.com/product/Fluance_XLBP_Wide_Dispersion_Bipolar_Surround_Sound_Speakers.eng-111.html for the surrounds, heard good things about them. Thoughts? Am i on track here for a newbie?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.