AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new receiver and currently don't have a 4K tv and don't plan on having one for another year. However the receiver I buy I would like to own for at least 5 years or so. I want to spend ~$800 on a receiver and have been looking at a Denon X4000 from Crutchfield (I want dual zones and like the XT32). I am reading things about HDCP 2.2 and the X4100 will have a hardware upgrade but I don't want to spend that much on a receiver. I know things are changing in the 4K world and HDCP 2.2 might not matter in another year, should I bite the bullet on the Denon X4000 or wait to buy a HDCP 2.2 compatible receiver when one with my specs are within my price range?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
If you plan on buying a 4K capable tv and or 4k bluray player in the next yr or 2. Then yes, Id wait as by the end of this summer to fall most if not all new AVR's will have the latest 2.0 HDMI with 2.2 HDCP.

I just bought the Denon 4100 a few weeks ago when my Onkyo 806 died, as I dont intend on buying a 4k tv or 4k BR player till my 5 yr old 65" plasma dies. The 4100 Will Not be getting any 2.2 upgrade, only the denon 7200! Im sure when denon releases a 4200 it will have 2.2 hdcp, but that will be later this summer...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Yeah the 7200, as I stated in my previous post^!:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the 7200, as I stated in my previous post^!:cool:
I'm kinda in the same boat... I have a 5 year old Samsung with a small glitch in the screen, I'm waiting for it to go or get worse. I'm also waiting for 4K to become more mainstream, I know Ultra HD players are coming out this year but I bet media will be even scarcer. I'm thinking at least 2 years before 4K content is readily available for most content both physical and streaming?

What do others think? Is the majority of content for Netflix/Amazon, UltraHD Bluray's (Physical media), maybe cable/dish TV going to take 2-3 years? Or is it coming by the end of 2015?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Itll probably take till 2016 till its more availible, itll still be new then and limited content IMO... Direct tv is Supposed to be coming out with a 4k channel or 3, but that wont get me to switch providers! Especially Satillite, no thanks... Ben there, done that.... Never again, way too many reception problems-rain, clouds, snow, wind! I love my HD Cable, never a issue with reception or picture after 4 yrs, plus no contracts either!

I wouldnt worry about 4k for atleast 2 yrs, when hopefully its actually availible in stores and online. For now I believe only Netflix has 4k availble for streaming.

The bad thing with this business is it changes too damn fast... My favorite Quote ever came from a Sound & Vision mag. editior when he said "I changed out my 15yr old garage door opener and the New one worked with all the Old cabling and recepticles! Try that with HDTV's and devices!" So true...

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm holding out until this summer/fall when most, if not all of the receivers will be HDMI 2.0 (@18gbps) & HDCP 2.2 compliant. I'll be picking up a Samsung SUHD JS8500 this fall and would like to pair a new receiver with it. At some point in the next few years, I'll pick up a 4K blu ray player.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts