AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be in a very small minority based on reading this and other places, but I find that while many 4k UHD discs/streaming to look great in terms of colors and resolution, the overall image (not just the HDR highlights - the "bling") is too bright. I'm used to watching in a dark room, so 100nits is good for me. This is why I still primarily watch Blu-rays. But there are many 4K discs that I want to watch, just too damn bright. If I mess with my OLED brightness (default of 50 for DV and 100 for HDR10), then that's supposed to mess up the image/blacks/etc. So the consensus is not to touch those settings on the TV for DV or HDR10 titles. But then what can I do? I tried outputting 4K SDR BT.2020 or 4K SDR BT.709, and while that works, the colors are all wrong.

Anyone with any ideas or with the same problem?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Just lower your OLED Light setting. That shouldn't have any impact brightness, contrast, black levels, etc.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just lower your OLED Light setting. That shouldn't have any impact brightness, contrast, black levels, etc.
For HDR content you should leave the OLED Light and Contrast at their default settings (100/100 for HDR10, 50/100 for Dolby Vision) otherwise you'll mess up the tone mapping and compress the dynamic range.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with this - I thought that HDR was supposed to extend the range for small highlights but maintain a regular SDR brightness level. In my experience, on many of the movies I've seen, the whole image is massively brighter. For example windows are super bright with no actual extra detail.

In those scenarios I just turn down OLED light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts