AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Did anybody else have some kind of screen-tearing issue with the Suns / Lakers last night on DirecTV? The bottom right quadrant was affected. They either fixed it later in the game or it was an issue on my side that went away. I've never seen that type of glitch before.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
The world series was in 4K last season. Via multiple providers and via Fox App . So was last years superbowl (2020) from FOX.

Yes depends on content owner/ provider and other variable . Some don't like Fox "4K" but I will say compared to other content owners they FOX provide the most live sports in "4K" and are available on multiple providers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TitusTroy

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
ESPN ought to do some of the women's basketball tourney in 4K.

Reactions: longhorn23

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
The world series was in 4K last season. Via multiple providers and via Fox App . So was last years superbowl (2020) from FOX.

Yes depends on content owner/ provider and other variable . Some don't like Fox "4K" but I will say compared to other content owners they FOX provide the most live sports in "4K" and are available on multiple providers.
since I have Verizon FiOS the only live 4K sporting events I've seen have been through FOX Sports...so I have nothing to compare it to but I think the HLG implementation is pretty good...with NFL games the helmets, grass, player closeups all look much better...and it's miles better then the standard 720p SDR feed

·
Super Moderator
18,381 Posts
ESPN ought to do some of the women's basketball tourney in 4K.
I'm sure they would have had Samsung or someone paid for it. To do it on their own means alienating most of their cable clients as few can carry it. ESPN's not gonna do that unless there's money in it. Hence Samsung. Though Covid also might have had an impact. To wit:

And CBS/TBS/TNT/TruTV should do the same with the men’s tournament as well.
I'm sure that, too, might have been had Covid not happened and the venues not changed. Don't know if you've noticed, but they're operating with much less gear than they normally do. As that stuff gets booked months to a year in advance, they've been left to grab up what was available for that region on these dates. As pointed out upthread, some known venues that previously had 4K simulcasts haven't. I'll bet that has to do with Covid's impact on hotels and travel for crew and talent. You'll note the switchup in the A and B studio shows, this year, with the panelists all sticking close to home. Ernie, Charles and Kenny are all sticking to Atlanta, while Greg, Clark and Seth are the NY studio, this year.

Next year will be different. TBS has the 2022 Final Four and the National Championship Game, so I'd expect all of the games from New Orleans get the 4K treatment. Maybe even the South Regional as that's the AT&T Center in San Antonio. Just speculation, mind you.

·
Super Moderator
18,381 Posts
The big question is how many years till we have a full slate of regular season games for all the teams home and away, MLB, NHL etc. in 4K?
The answer goes back to Dr Don's First Law of Television Economics: There either has to be an economic benefit to doing something or an economic detriment for not doing it. Once you find that, you'll have your answer. At the moment, given the scope of your question, 4K provides neither for the networks and broadcasters who have the rights to the games.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts

Ok, I guess I was thinking of the years before last year, where playoff series leading up to the World Series were in 4K but not the World Series itself.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
NBC Sports Chicago just added a bunch of Whitesox games in 4K.[4/8 and 4/10 against Kansas City and the 12th-15th against Cleveland]

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Tonights Bulls-Jazz game is not listed as being in 4K on either Xfinity's website or my onscreen guide.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I'm getting the splash screen via DirecTV and it shows nbc sports Chicago logo at bottom

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Could be that Xfinity here in the Chicago area isn't showing it in 4K.......makes me wonder why Directtv'd have it but Xfinity wouldn't.

Reactions: dtv757

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
I think @longhorn23 has D* and NBA LP he can confirm. I'm getting a not subscribed (721) message which is correct since I don't live in Chicago market nor do I have NBA LP.

I do have MLB EI so hopefully I can confirm the upcoming white Sox games in 4K !!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It's definitely not in 4K here so it must be a Directtv/NBA LP exclusive.

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The Blackhawks game will be in 4K tonight on Xfinity.......weird that the Bulls weren't but the Hawks are.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Kind of a bummer that CBS couldn't do the B1G semifinals, or the championship game tomorrow, in 4K.
I don’t like your operative use of the word “couldn’t.” They C O U L D. They cheap out. They are making multi-millions in profit and just figure that they have us 2K captive ( because they DO). But don’t empower them with this “couldn’t” because they COULD. They have us stuck in the 20th century. Go to Walmart...can you even find a 2K panel ? I doubt it.
It is embarrassing that the U.S. is held captive in 2K by these billionaire corporations whining that “the 4K broadcasts are sooo expensive...so complex.” Most of our phones are 4K.
C’mon !

121 - 140 of 222 Posts