AVS Forum banner

1 - 21 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please Read before posting:
Technical discussions related to devices and/or displays need to go in the forum sections FOR those devices. This is a thread about 4k events only.

The moment there's an update to the chart, the thread gets rolled back

- Technical questions about streaming devices need to go in the section dedicated to those devices.

NOTE
: Games broadcast by an RSN (Regional Sports Network) may be subject to local Blackout rules. If you do not live in the local DMA (Designated Market Area) of the team, an Out of market sports subscription (NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings) may be required to view these games (out of market). In some cases, specifically Altitude, the 4k feed may only be available to subscribers in the DMA and unavailable outside of the DMA even with an out-of-market sports package subscription.

October 2020 Schedule

10/1 - October projected based on published schedule from Xfinity, Fubo and Altice
10/5 - Added MLB NLCS Games 1-3 per FUBO published schedule and DirecTV guide
10/7 - Updated games on 10/10, added ESPN game Alabama @ Ole Miss, updated Kansas State @ TCU as only showing on Xfinity site.
10/10 - Updating events on 10/10 and adding MLB NLCS
10/12 - Updated MLB NLCS and updated NFL game rescheduled to 10/19 due to Covid19
10/13 - Added 2 EPL Soccer Matches on 10/17, updated time for NFL rescheduled game 10/15 - Added additional NLCS games and World Series.
10/17 - Added NLCS G7, Removed Blank College Football event 12 EST 10/17

Previous 4K event Press Releases:

February 2020 Highlights:

Official Fox Press release about Super Bowl in 4K
Per multiple sources, Fox Sports to broadcast Super Bowl LIV in "4K" HDR. (1080p HDR)
Source 1 | Source 2
*Super Bowl Discussion belongs in the following Thread: Super Bowl LIV in 4K Advance Discussion Thread *
02/25/2020 - Xfinity will be airing NHL Chicago Blackhawks games in 4K HDR (in the Chicago market) Source

January 2020 Highlights:
ESPN to broadcast Allstate Sugar Bowl in 4K :
"For the first time ever, the Sugar Bowl will be available in 4K as part of ESPN’s multi-network presentation. The Allstate Sugar Bowl brought to you in 4K by Samsung QLED will feature native 4K resolution and is available to fans who receive 4K service through Altice, Comcast or DIRECTV. "
Source/Press release

ESPN to broadcast College Football National Championship Game in 4K :
"...as well as a 4K feed that will be part of ESPN’s “Megacast” presentation of the College Football Playoff National Championship Game on Jan. 13, 2020."
Source/Press Release | Additional Source

December 2019 Highlights:
"Altitude Sports will broadcast Wednesday’s Nuggets-vs.-Magic game in 4K HDR the regional sports network told The Denver Post, becoming one of the first RSNs in the country to utilize the technology... "
(the article also mentiones future NHL Colorado Avalanche games will be in 4K HDR)
Source / Press Release | Additional Source

October/September 2019 Highlights:
FOX Sports is delivering the 2019 American League Championship Series in 4K HDR for the first time ever ...
Source/Press Release

On October 12 ESPN begins Televising Select Regular Season Weekly College Football Games Live in Native 4K as part of the “Samsung QLED 4K Game of the Week”
Source/Press Release
9/27 - Removing Xfinity from NFL events due Xfinity Twitter post and the verge

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source:
DirecTV https://start.att.net/exclusive/att/4k
Dish: MyDISH | DISH TV Online Channel Guide | MyDISH | Dish 4K Event Listings (No Discussion)
Fubo TV : What events are coming up in 4K/HDR on fuboTV?
Layer 3/T-Vision: https://www.t-mobile.com/tv/channels (zip 20005)
RCN: Stream better on your smart TV with 4K Television | RCN | 4K TV Programming | RCN | DC Metro Channel Guide and Lineup | RCN DC Metro | Re: Big game in 4k - RCN | DSLReports Forums
Altice (North)/ Optimum: 4K Ultra HD content with Altice One | Optimum
FiOS: FiOS Linear 4K Discussion - Verizon FiOS TV | DSLReports Forums
Xfinity: 4K Ultra HD (UHD) and High Dynamic Range (HDR) on Xfinity TV | 4K on Xfinity: What’s New and How to Watch | 4K Sports Available on Xfinity X1

ESPN 4K game of the week : https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNPR | Watch College Football With A QLED TV By Samsung | Samsung US
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For previous month's schedule please see link below, i will only keep this thread with the current and previous month
4K Monthly Events - Google Drive

Disclaimer:
This is an Unofficial chart used for informational purposes and does NOT guarantee the provider will broadcast the event in 4K and or HDR. Data is compiled from multiple sources including user feedback on message boards/forums (AVS Forum, DBSTalk, DSLReports, Satellite guys) . I DO NOT work for any of the companies listed in the chart. I am a DirecTV subscriber and may not know all the details of other providers . I do welcome input and feedback to help make this chart as accurate as possible. v/r - DTV757

Happy 4K 2020 everyone !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I don't expect many, if any, American sports to be broadcast in 4k the rest of the year and a good part of next year. The networks have taken a bath on loss of sponsorship dollars since March. Until the pandemic is over and sports can return to normal, I don't see much 4k being provided any time soon.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't expect many, if any, American sports to be broadcast in 4k the rest of the year and a good part of next year. The networks have taken a bath on loss of sponsorship dollars since March. Until the pandemic is over and sports can return to normal, I don't see much 4k being provided any time soon.
That's the thing that doesn't make sense to me, with record number of people sitting at home. Wouldn't that be the time to run commecrials and air the few things that you will have to the best of its abilities if you already have all the equipment and infrastructure in place. I can see with the other sports because of the traveling but the fact that the NBA isn't doing it just disgusts me. They are playing all of the games in one location that could be setup to run it in 4k, Apple showed how many new subscribers they got when they introduced premium content. Why wouldn't it make sense for the others to follow suit like they do in most other things? All you see is ads for the X1 and Fios1 boxes they want you to either pay more for a month or to pay a fee to swap out but they don't give you any live programming for it. Sorry I already pay for the MoviesAnywhere to be in 4k when I purchase them it does nothing for me to be able to play them through the box as content.

·
Super Moderator
17,996 Posts
^^^

I think you answered your own question. It's all about the Benjamins. It'll cost more for a 4K production than an HD one at a time when ad revenues are spiraling downward. So... how do they make back the added expense? Would you pay extra for to view NBA games in 4K? Like you said with your Apple TV example, people will pay for exclusive content, but not necessarily PQ. PQ has never, EVER driven ratings and that's where ad dollars come from. NBA fans will watch the games whether they're in 4K or not, so why make losses even bigger with added production expenses? Heck, they're already having to spend more to figure out how to produce games and still keep the crews safe.

At the moment, there is no economic advantage to doing a 4K production. Sure, you could get an equipment manufacturer to underwrite it, but to what end? Just about every set available is 4k, so those guys don't need to spend the money. AT&T hammered their 4K channels, last year, and still lost subscribers. With the economic downturn, it's doubtful they want to spend the money. The NBA would need a streaming partner to foot the bill, but those rights already belong to the networks carrying the games. Apple TV does just fine with their content. Forking over tens of millions of dollars just to air 4K simulcasts of NBA games doesn't seem like a moneymaking idea.

As always, I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
27,395 Posts
^^^ Well, ain't you just Billy Buzzkill. :D

But you're right, I guess. I just didn't think it would cost them much more to do it in 4K since a truck is a truck and they could just downscale the 1080p telecast out of the 4K one, meaning they'd only need one truck (at least in my uninformed mind), but if it does cost more, then yeah... ain't gonna' happen.:cry:

·
Super Moderator
17,996 Posts
^^^ Well, ain't you just Billy Buzzkill. :D

But you're right, I guess. I just didn't think it would cost them much more to do it in 4K since a truck is a truck and they could just downscale the 1080p telecast out of the 4K one, meaning they'd only need one truck (at least in my uninformed mind), but if it does cost more, then yeah... ain't gonna' happen.:cry:
LOL That's me!

Not all trucks are 4k-capable. I know if I owned one of the production truck companies and I'd just spent a fortune outfitting a few of them for 4K, I'd certainly want to charge more. :)

Doc

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Exciting news. I'm seeing two college football games in 4k on the Directv guide for this Saturday. Notre Dame vs Duke (via NBC Sports) and Kansas State vs Arkansas State (via FS1). Hopefully ESPN continues to broadcast college football in 4k again this season as well.
ESPN needs to bring 4k to the app, not just Direct TV.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ESPN needs to bring 4k to the app, not just Direct TV.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
According to my chart history Altice North (Optimum) and Xfinity also carried ESPN 4K events.

I looked at the national championship in Jan 2020.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longhorn23

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Will the Notre Dame game be in 4k on Xfinity too?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The xfinity website is not update. Xfinity did cary them (ND games) last season in 4K .

Can someone with xfinity post a picture of guide to confirm.

I believe I did mark xfinity on the chart .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Interesting thing is i'm watching a UHD test stream right now with a test pattern that has ND-6 on it.[figured it's for Saturday's game]

Reactions: dtv757

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 21 of 522 Posts