AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was ready to buy the Panasonic V10 but now I keep reading about black levels and what not. Then I noticed a samusing LED in a store today 63" and that looked pretty good.

Can someone tell me what the current best TV is at 63" or 65" that I can buy. Lord this stuff is messy.!!!

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
I don't think Samsung makes a 63 inch LED, only plasma. They will be releasing a 65 inch LED soon, but I wasn't aware that it's out yet.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Look at it this way, even with the black level problems with the Panny, even if it does rise, the black levels will still be better than the Samsung LED.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman /forum/post/18305936

Look at it this way, even with the black level problems with the Panny, even if it does rise, the black levels will still be better than the Samsung LED.

Um...not exactly. It's not quite that simple. The LED's have deeper blacks than Samsung plasmas or Panny plasmas post-rise. Now, if you want to argue about the quality of blacks, such as how deep will they be when viewed off-axis, or how many stars you will see on a starfield, or shadow detail, or annoying auto-dimming on low-APL scenes, that is something different.

But the Samsung LED's typically have deeper blacks than their PDP's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do roughly 80 ISF calibration every month, about 50% of them Samsung LEDs since everyone got sucked into their marketing campaign. I can tell you with 100% confidence that once you turn off all of Dynamic Contrast, black level adjustments, and other crap that Samsung uses to trick you into buying their TVs (it's not just them, everyone does it; and they are not features you want turned on for everyday TV viewing) you will have only about a 45* viewing angle before their backlit (8500 series) LEDs will start to get milky/hazy patches in the deep blacks. A few degrees after that your colors will start to shift, usually towards the greener side. On the lower end model it gets even worse, in my opinion the Samsung 6000/7000 series edge-lit LEDs were some of the worst looking and over-priced TVs I've ever seen. They spent too much time making them thin and not enough time on picture quality. The 8500s were nice TVs, they just weren't properly sold and few people knew about their drawbacks.

A TV worth considering is the new Sony EX-series 60" with the new Deep Black panel, I've seen a few of them and they seem to look very, very nice for an LED as far as black levels go.

Panasonic and Samsung both make excellent plasmas, on a properly calibrated model of either brand you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between comparable models. I'm more partial to V (and especially Z series but their not as financially practical) Panasonics but both brands have their perks. I've never seen an LED that can touch the realism and studio-reference look of a nicely made plasma, although I'm sure they will one day. One thing to note is that the Samsungs do not use fans on a lot of their models of plasma so they will run exceptionally hot (on purpose), the perk is they are a lot thinner.

Another TV that is very under-rated in my opinion are the Toshiba Regza backlit LEDs, which I think are still available and usually much cheaper than a Samsung LED. They are thicker than any other LED, but they hold their black levels very, very well and calibrate incredibly nicely.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
With pricing in on the new top of the line Panny and Sammy plasma models, both are right at 4k. The 65" Panny VT25 is 3900 and the 63" Sammy is 3799. We'll have to wait on some reviews to see which is truly the better of the two. If Sammy has really stepped up on black level as they have stated, they will definitely give Panny a run for the money since they offer much better color management and if the 8000 series also offers the 10 step gray/gamma adjustments like the C series LED sets do, it's going to offer a potentially truly amazing picture!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All very interesting reading, it sounds like all things being equal I can't go wrong with the V10 for the media room

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith64 /forum/post/18307516

All very interesting reading, it sounds like all things being equal I can't go wrong with the V10 for the media room

If it were me, I'd wait for the V20/V25 to come out in the size you want. Or check out the Sammys. With the rising black issue, the V10 probably isn't the best choice any longer. The V20/V25s will have the issue as well, but their blacks will start out darker and the rise is supposed to be much more gradual now.

·
Registered
608 Posts
id go for the panasonic plasmas. i have a pioneer kuro and its fantastic, but its maxed out at 60". extra inches would be nice, and the panasonic PDPs get way brighter for daylight. I personally feel that the panasonics look pretty great, and prefer pdp over any current LED/LCD

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith64 /forum/post/18307516

You can do better with the forthcoming Panny 65VT25. The new "infinite blacks" panels produced the best blacks since the Kuro according to Consumer Reports.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts