AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best projector for 4k or less. I am new in the Home Theater arena and I am interested in a projector. The prices on some of the ones that I seen are out of this world.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Local dealers overcharge so research and buy from reputable internet dealers. For 4K or less I'd recommend LT150 for DVD playback. It can be had for $2350. Dell had a 20% off email coupon their $2700 for $2160 before taxes/shipping, but I believe it's no longer available. You can call to double check. Other good projectors for 4K or less include Sanyo XP18/XP21, NEC VT540k/LT156, Infocus LP350/LP530; Sony WH10T, Toshiba MT7, and Sanyo PLV60 are $4500-5000 but they have 16:9 native LCD panels (no letterboxing). Check www.projectorcentral.com for specs, prices, and reviews. Cnet, pricegrabber, streeprices, pricewatch, pricescan are a few price search engines that'll help you get good prices. Dealers like AVS (our host), projectorpeople, medicalvideosystems are some of good dealers on internet. Good luck and you won't regret FPTV. Don't forget you'll need a screen (retail or DIY).

------------------

Huey ;-]

[This message has been edited by Huey (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'm new in the home theater market. Your info is a good start for me. I will check the sites that you recommended. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I saw the Plus Piano at CEDIA and it was pretty impressive for DVD. They said that the price was 3K so I'm sure that it could be found for less.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check out the Dell 20% discount, it seems to get the price of just about any projector also used for business down to more reasonable prices.

I got the InFocus LP530 from them within your price range and it works great.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
 http://dell1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4364748322X1093965X76750X

Hurry, 9/20/01 is the last day for this sale. Just click on above link and buy something in small/medium business section. Discount will be applied in red when checking out but BEFORE asking for credit card or personal info. I bought a bulb for my Sony VPL-CX1 AND a bulb for my NEC LT150 and saved $153 after discount. Funny but they did not charge me for ground shipping for these 2 bulbs. Of course it's backordered but on Dell's status it said shipping date is 9/21/01. We'll see as they are notoriously wrong about est. ship date.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Huey, you're like a drug pusher. I went ahead and popped for an LP530. It's still a lot of $$ to me. By the way, I noticed that the ground shipping listed for $0, so on a whim I switched it to next day air. Still was $0. Back-ordered, though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried that link again today, and it looks like the 20% got extended until 10/4.

BTW, what's the right ceiling mount for an LP530?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't know if this is of interest to any Home Theater folks, but Compaq sent me an e-mail today saying that two of their smaller projectors are available for $1,000 off until midnight EST Thursday. Here is the link. The smaller projector is SVGA, the larger unit does XGA, and the sale prices are $1749 and $2999, respectfully.

[This message has been edited by Foxbat (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you can strech your budget to, AVS is selling a demo Dwin Transvision DLP for $5k. That is an excellent price, below dealer cost. Just shows how fast the vaule of these things goes down. Less that one year ago this was one of the most anticipated projectors at a retail of $13k. Reed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.