AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 year old Onkyo TX-SR803 receiver is starting to die on me and I am looking for a new receiver.

I can get an Onkyo TX-NR818 for $500 when I trade in my 803 to Onkyo, but I noticed it doesn't have 4K passthrough. I am wondering if this feature is worth spending more for or are 4K TVs that are affordable still 4+ years off where it doesn't matter? Looking for opinions on whether it is worth it or not.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
4K TVs are affordable now. 55 - 60" models are in the $3500 range.

However, full spec 4K requires HDMI 2.0, so I'd hold off on upgrading your AVR until HDMI 2.0 models are available.

·
Registered
12,277 Posts
Having 4K capability is awesome..

But still waiting for some 4K content....

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
So the 818 has 4k upscaling but no passthrough? Until there's significant content I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. My older Onkyo RC370 has 4k capability of some sort but figure it's not likely to see action any time soon as I really have no plans for a tv until there's significant content but then I'm fairly new to BluRay compared to some....YMMV

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well luckily after a factory reset on my Onkyo 803 the issue hasn't popped back up yet so hopefully I can get more life out of it for now. I was really not wanting to spend $500+ on a receiver plus the $500 on an Xbox One this Fall. I think I will try to wait till HDMI 2.0, and if my 803 does break down before then, I will get a lower end receiver as a place holder to hold me over.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer  /t/1494518/4k-passthrough-important-or-not-yet#post_23827687

4K TVs are affordable now. 55 - 60" models are in the $3500 range.

However, full spec 4K requires HDMI 2.0, so I'd hold off on upgrading your AVR until HDMI 2.0 models are available.

I have read that you'll only need a firmware update. (see link: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-2-0-explained/

Can someone confirm or deny this?

·
Premium Member
12,844 Posts
According to HDMI.org :
Quote:
Can my existing HDMI 1.x devices be upgraded with HDMI 2.0 features?

Currently, there are no provisions for doing such an upgrade. Because of the new enhanced feature set, any such conversion would require hardware and/or firmware upgrades. If there are such conversions, it would come from the manufacturer. Please check with them directly.
Sounds like:

- if a manufacturer incorporates the necessary hardware now, it'll be as simple as a firmware upgrade later; but

- if the manufacturer does not incorporate the necessary hardware now, a firmware upgrade will not be possible.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
You can still use your receiver for 4K. When you get a 4K player, get one with two HDMI outputs. One can go the receiver for sound and the other to the TV for video. I can't imagine giving a hoot about 4K passthrough. My 7 year old AVR is better than the ones they are making today. I hope it lasts as long as I do.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1494518/4k-passthrough-important-or-not-yet#post_24030755

According to HDMI.org :

Sounds like:

- if a manufacturer incorporates the necessary hardware now, it'll be as simple as a firmware upgrade later; but

- if the manufacturer does not incorporate the necessary hardware now, a firmware upgrade will not be possible.

Thanks...yeah, that sounds like the deal.

So, if I'm looking to get a new receiver that is relatively future proof...if it has 4K passthrough, I should be ok? Just need a display that can handle 4K and hdmi2.0.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbaygreen  /t/1494518/4k-passthrough-important-or-not-yet#post_24031081

Thanks...yeah, that sounds like the deal.

So, if I'm looking to get a new receiver that is relatively future proof...if it has 4K passthrough, I should be ok? Just need a display that can handle 4K and hdmi2.0.

No, any current receiver is future proof relative to 4K. In addition to a display, you will need some sort of player.

·
Premium Member
12,844 Posts
My understanding is that current 4K pass-through is restricted to a certain bandwidth and won't necessarily handle all future 4K requirements. FMW's suggestion - an HDMI 2.0-equipped source with dual HDMI outputs - makes the most sense if you're set on buying an AVR at this time but still want full 4K down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts