AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thinking might be distorted regarding this--if so please help me out. Do I need an HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 receiver if all I am going to do is use the receiver as 4K passthrough and let the TV do all the work??

·
Registered
12,975 Posts
No. It depends on the source. If your 4K source is [email protected] 30p or below, any current AVR with 4K pass-through is fine. Most 4K video will probably be 4K @24p. Only PCs require higher frame rate.

You only need HDMI 2.0 if your source is 4K @60p or anything over [email protected]

You only need HDCP 2.2 if your source device require such new encryption standard from what I read. It is fairly new and intend to solve the security loopholes in current HDCP implementation. But it is not backward compatible unless the device also adds support for older version of HDCP. IMO, HDCP 2.2 requirement won't come up until many years later because none of the current devices support it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK...i think I'm close to getting this---one more question...

If my source is over 4K 30p, why can't i still just use a 4k pass through receiver if I'm just letting the tv do the work--wont it still appear as 4k60p on the tv?

·
Premium Member
90,357 Posts
Nope. The chip must be designed to allow the signal to pass through. If not .. it won't pass through. However, keep in mind that buying a new HDMI 2.0 BDP with dual HDMI outputs will allow you to pass the new 4k/60fps video signal to the 4k TV with the HD Audio to the existing 4k 24/30 fps AVR (just as folks with HDMI 1.3 AVRs did when they wanted to play a 3D signal all be it purchasing a dual HDMI 1.4 BDP at that time).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help! Looks like ill have to get the onkyo txnr636--the pioneer 80 elite is not hdcp 2.2--dont want to take that chance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts