AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of that 720p vs 1080p test done in Greece many years a go its was proven that most people couldnt tell the difference.


I cant help but think that when people go and demo the new VW1000 and VW11000 projectors that most of the detail of the image is due to the amazing quality of the glass lens, with the extra resolution only playing a small part.


I personally think there is a reason that the Sony use cheap plastic lenses with the HW50 and HW55, as if they used a decent glass lens with reality creation the gap wouldnt be worth the extra towards the 4K projectors.


Anyone agree, with my way of thinking towards optics against actual resolution?


Question to Seegs, your a DLP optics guy have you had chance to see 4k vs one of your past DLP optic kings like your planar 8150?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147  /t/1520816/4k-projector-question#post_24434361


Thinking of that 720p vs 1080p test done in Greece many years a go its was proven that most people couldnt tell the difference.


I cant help but think that when people go and demo the new VW1000 and VW11000 projectors that most of the detail of the image is due to the amazing quality of the glass lens, with the extra resolution only playing a small part.


I personally think there is a reason that the Sony use cheap plastic lenses with the HW50 and HW55, as if they used a decent glass lens with reality creation the gap wouldnt be worth the extra towards the 4K projectors.


Anyone agree, with my way of thinking towards optics against actual resolution?


If I recall, that blind viewing test was done with two Marantz projectors. One was a 12S4 (720P) and the other was a 11S1 or 11S2 if I recall. The viewing took place from 1.5 to 2.0 screen widths, I believe.


I have seen a lot of projectors and the resolution of the Sony makes a difference. Enough so, that I chose a 600ES for my own theater. I view from 2.37 screen heights. I have a scope screen. If using scope width, then 1.07 screen widths.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. Wish I could see a projector like the Planar 8150 which has an amazing lens with a darbee vs 500ES
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,424 Posts
I have seen the VW1000 side by side againt the Sim2 Lumis 3DS and the VW1000 looked alot sharper and I don´t think it is due to the superior lens in the Sony when the Sim2 also has a top notch lens. So the difference is clearly visible.



And the VW1000 is sharper than the VW500 and that is I think because of the lens quality in the VW1000 is alot better than the VW500, I also saw the VW500 side by side against the VW1000.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,827 Posts
I haven't seen one of the 4K Sony machines yet. But Mike makes a great point. The resolution quadrupling will most likely have a more dramatic effect when it comes to perceived sharpness over absolute lens quality. The lens quality of the Planar (and several other projectors that use the same exact lens) is a small step down from them the one used on the Marantz and Samsung but is still quite nice and better than most other lenses out there with an msrp of $15000 or lower.


Like I said , I haven't seen either 4K machine so I can't make a comparison but I would imagine they look sharper with video content due to the increase in pixel density and sheer resolution even with 1080p bluray.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147  /t/1520816/4k-projector-question#post_24448692


Ok thanks. Wish I could see a projector like the Planar 8150 which has an amazing lens with a darbee vs 500ES
 

The Planar 8150 was a great projector for the price...............yet  is not in same league as 1000, especially on a larger screen. I've demoed all the Lumis line..........great projectors and bright as heck!  But I still think my 1000 is  keeper! 
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,827 Posts
I should also note that I'm not using a PD8150 anymore. I currently have a JVC DLA-X90 and I don't see myself going to back to DLP. The only one I might consider would be a Sim2 Lumis or something similar from Sim2. While there are a few things I miss about the technology, the JVC I have does so many things right that I can live with the few small niggles that I have with it. As far as a Sony 4K machine goes, I don't know if I really need it. I don't have a monster screen so the extra brightness the Sony's give is kind of a moot point and from what I've read, with 1080p blu-ray there doesn't seem to be much of a PQ difference between the flagship JVC (or a cheaper one with with a good lens sample) and the 4K Sony's especially when you enable e-shift. When there is a true 4K format out and a reasonable amount of content, then I may switch over to a true 4K machine. But for the time being I think I'm going to stick with the JVC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I, too, was talking like that. I don't need a 4K projector based on all the same / various reasons but subconciously, the truth is, I don't want to pay $25K for one.


But in the end, I did purchased the VPL-VW1000ES and not regreting it.


The only reason why you want to buy one now is because you simply want the best projector picture you can get from a 1080p source. The upscaling the Reality Creation does is far superior than any upscaling from software player or hardware player that I have used. The true 4K picture give the kind of resolution no 1080 or e-shift projector can hope to deliver.....period. So, a VW500ES / VW600ES at half the price of a VW1000ES / 1100ES would be a good consideration if you want a better picture over all 1080 or e-shift projectors out there.


(Audio)
 

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
Joined
·
5,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108  /t/1520816/4k-projector-question/0_40#post_24449540


I should also note that I'm not using a PD8150 anymore. I currently have a JVC DLA-X90 and I don't see myself going to back to DLP. The only one I might consider would be a Sim2 Lumis or something similar from Sim2. While there are a few things I miss about the technology, the JVC I have does so many things right that I can live with the few small niggles that I have with it. As far as a Sony 4K machine goes, I don't know if I really need it. I don't have a monster screen so the extra brightness the Sony's give is kind of a moot point and from what I've read, with 1080p blu-ray there doesn't seem to be much of a PQ difference between the flagship JVC (or a cheaper one with with a good lens sample) and the 4K Sony's especially when you enable e-shift. When there is a true 4K format out and a reasonable amount of content, then I may switch over to a true 4K machine. But for the time being I think I'm going to stick with the JVC.

I think I'm in the same boat. If JVC doesn't provide a native 4k model this fall, I have only two options. Buy a RS49 for reasonably cheap or get a Sony 1000/1100ES. I'm actually satisfied with 500 lumens on my DPI LED, so I know the JVC will be enough for me. Honestly, a native 4k JVC might not even be an upgrade with 1080p material but it allows us to play future 4k content. CEDIA can't come soon enough, only 6 months away
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,553 Posts
It's a cart and the horse thing......till 4KBluray is in swing...at lease 50 good titles....and more being added to...personally I see no incentive to dive in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx  /t/1520816/4k-projector-question#post_24450476


It's a cart and the horse thing......till 4KBluray is in swing...at lease 50 good titles....and more being added to...personally I see no incentive to dive in.
 

To your point, until some more film studios other than Sony Pictures get on board it's difficult for me to get excited about 4K.  Nothing wrong with Sony Pictures, but I would like to see more choice and support from the industry.  Additionally, there is no mention of support from broadcast television as they are still dealing with the depreciation expense associated with the move to HD.

 

1080P still puts out a better picture on my 10' wide screen than I typically get at the local Cineplex.  I've seen the Sony 4K projectors beginning with the roll out of the VPL-VW1000es at CEDIA two years ago.  There is an improvement to be seen if you have good source material but not so much as to throw the baby out with the bath water.  The key words being the availability of good source material.

 

I'm sure 4k will come but I'm content to set and wait until there is more choice in available projection/display equipment and there is a real content delivery system like 4K Blu-ray or reliable/affordable download/streaming service.  And of course a buy in from the film industry other than just Sony.  I'm content to let the early adopters take the hit on this one.  Don't forget there are absolutely no pre/pro's or receiver's on the market at this time that support HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2.0 that is necessary for 4K use at home in a traditional way.  Sony's 4K delivery system, at this time, does not support HD audio.

 

Major studios supporting limited 4K content for home use:

 
  • Sony Pictures/Columbia Pictures studio units.

 

 

Major studios not supporting 4K content for home use at this time:

 
  • Warner Brothers and subsidiaries
  • Walt Disney and subsidiaries
  • Universal Pictures and subsidiaries
  • 20th Century Fox and subsidiaries
  • Paramount Pictures and subsidiaries
  • Lions Gate Entertainment and subsidiaries
  • Dream Works  and subsidiaries
  • MGM Studios/Pictures and subsidiaries
  • The Weinstein Company and subsidiaries
  • Open Road Films
  • CBS Films
  • Broadcast TV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,826 Posts

Quote:
The only reason why you want to buy one now is because you simply want the best projector picture you can get from a 1080p source. The upscaling the Reality Creation does is far superior than any upscaling from software player or hardware player that I have used. The true 4K picture give the kind of resolution no 1080 or e-shift projector can hope to deliver.....period. So, a VW500ES / VW600ES at half the price of a VW1000ES / 1100ES would be a good consideration if you want a better picture over all 1080 or e-shift projectors out there.

This is a good way of looking at the current 4K projectors IMO. If I wasn't still satisfied with my Lumis, I would have bought a VW600 after Cedia. I'm just trying to hold out a little longer before I upgrade!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry  /t/1520816/4k-projector-question#post_24450636


To your point, until some more film studios other than Sony Pictures get on board it's difficult for me to get excited about 4K.  Nothing wrong with Sony Pictures, but I would like to see more choice and support from the industry.  Additionally, there is no mention of support from broadcast television as they are still dealing with the depreciation expense associated with the move to HD.


1080P still puts out a better picture on my 10' wide screen than I typically get at the local Cineplex.  I've seen the Sony 4K projectors beginning with the roll out of the VPL-VW1000es at CEDIA two years ago.  There is an improvement to be seen if you have good source material but not so much as to throw the baby out with the bath water.  The key words being the availability of good source material.


I'm sure 4k will come but I'm content to set and wait until there is more choice in available projection/display equipment and there is a real content delivery system like 4K Blu-ray or reliable/affordable download/streaming service.  And of course a buy in from the film industry other than just Sony.  I'm content to let the early adopters take the hit on this one.  Don't forget there are absolutely no pre/pro's or receiver's on the market at this time that support HDCP 2.2 or HDMI 2.0 that is necessary for 4K use at home in a traditional way.  Sony's 4K delivery system, at this time, does not support HD audio.


Major studios supporting limited 4K content for home use:
  • Sony Pictures/Columbia Pictures studio units.



Major studios not supporting 4K content for home use at this time:
  • Warner Brothers and subsidiaries
  • Walt Disney and subsidiaries
  • Universal Pictures and subsidiaries
  • 20th Century Fox and subsidiaries
  • Paramount Pictures and subsidiaries
  • Lions Gate Entertainment and subsidiaries
  • Dream Works  and subsidiaries
  • MGM Studios/Pictures and subsidiaries
  • The Weinstein Company and subsidiaries
  • Open Road Films
  • CBS Films
  • Broadcast TV

Several of the studios you list as "not supporting 4K content" are in fact actively involved in the Blu-ray 4K development. At least Disney and Fox, in addition to Sony, have been confirmed to be participating in the technical group formed by the BDA to create the Blu-ray 4K spec. (Source: Hollywood Reporter ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones  /t/1520816/4k-projector-question#post_24452921



Several of the studios you list as "not supporting 4K content" are in fact actively involved in the Blu-ray 4K development. At least Disney and Fox, in addition to Sony, have been confirmed to be participating in the technical group formed by the BDA to create the Blu-ray 4K spec. (Source: Hollywood Reporter ).
 

Not to put to fine a point on it Ron, but if you quote me in full context I said "not supporting 4K content for home use at this time".

 

For clarification, to the best of my knowledge, there is no place I can readily go to or or method I can use to down load or playback any 4K content from the listed studios other than Sony.  This differs from Sony's ad hoc delivery system that does supply 4k content today.

 

Your link states "that we could see the first players at next year’s CES."  That's still more than a year out and those first players first CES player could be prototypes or the real thing; no one knows yet.

 

I'll be as happy as anyone to see 4k but as I said I'm not too excited about having some hadware that isn't really very well supported.  Your linked information would indicate we are still the best part of two years before we see some content other than Sony Pictures.  I hope I'm wrong...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,563 Posts
I think all of the studios will eventually come on board - some sooner than others.


On the bright side, at least there will not be a format war again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry  /t/1520816/4k-projector-question#post_24453122


Not to put to fine a point on it Ron, but if you quote me in full context I said "not supporting 4K content for home use at this time".


For clarification, to the best of my knowledge, there is no place I can readily go to or or method I can use to down load or playback any 4K content from the listed studios other than Sony.  This differs from Sony's ad hoc delivery system that does supply 4k content today.

Your link states "that we could see the first players at next year’s CES."  That's still more than a year out and those first players first CES player could be prototypes or the real thing; no one knows yet.


I'll be as happy as anyone to see 4k but as I said I'm not too excited about having some hadware that isn't really very well supported.  Your linked information would indicate we are still the best part of two years before we see some content other than Sony Pictures.  I hope I'm wrong...

Next year's CES is 10 months away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1520816/4k-projector-question#post_24454132



Next year's CES is 10 months away.
 

Yes, it is.  And as you well know, very few of these types of products introduced at CES ship until second quarter or later.

 

Look, I'm all for it, but there's a lot of work to be done in 10 months.  We can speculate all you want; If wishes were fishes, we could fry some.

 

I really don't expect to see this in stores until late 2015.  Geez Louise, I live in a fairly affluent area and none of the brick and mortar stores that are Sony dealers have ever put a 4K projector on display as yet and the VLP-VW1000es 2+ years old now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,553 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

The only reason why you want to buy one now is because you simply want the best projector picture you can get from a 1080p source. The upscaling the Reality Creation does is far superior than any upscaling from software player or hardware player that I have used. The true 4K picture give the kind of resolution no 1080 or e-shift projector can hope to deliver.....period. So, a VW500ES / VW600ES at half the price of a VW1000ES / 1100ES would be a good consideration if you want a better picture over all 1080 or e-shift projectors out there.

This I find hilarious...so taking a 1080p frame up scaling it to 4 times it's original area with no additional detail makes it a better image?.....I think not, to do that and for the image not to appear soft, manufacturers have to apply a plethora of band aids, such as sharpening, contrast enhancement....apply those 'enhancements' on a 1080p machine by using a Darbee or similar and the image will be superior from the appropriate distance for viewing a 1080p source.


4K projectors will shine with 4K source.....not with 1080p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Lee  /t/1520816/4k-projector-question#post_24449689



The only reason why you want to buy one now is because you simply want the best projector picture you can get from a 1080p source. The upscaling the Reality Creation does is far superior than any upscaling from software player or hardware player that I have used. The true 4K picture give the kind of resolution no 1080 or e-shift projector can hope to deliver.....period. So, a VW500ES / VW600ES at half the price of a VW1000ES / 1100ES would be a good consideration if you want a better picture over all 1080 or e-shift projectors out there.


(Audio)

RC is not upscaling. You can shut RC completely off and the Sony's will and must upscale to 4K. RC are special algs applied to further improve the picture to one;s eyes.


The Sony scaling deliberately introduces ringing which itself gives the illusion of increased sharpness but at the cost of seeing high frequency detail at contrast transitions because of the visible halo caused by the ringing.yt
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top