AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
No lens shift. The projector has to be about 10% below or above the screen width depending on floor or ceiling mount.
So it's a worthless projector for many rooms, then. I had to look at over 40 houses as it was to find a single one that was even remotely appropriate in my price range that could support a home theater. But the layout simply doesn't allow the projector to be centered. You would run into it while walking between the rows. Height centering is less of a problem (mounts can be made longer or shorter).

·
Registered
82 Posts
So I just picked up an HT1070, and I'm debating the whole 4k vs blu ray thing. I have 4k 55" tv, but now a 92" screen with 3D. I really enjoy the 3D, but 4k is the future it seems. I got the HT1070 on sale for 499 from newegg, but now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet, and go all in now since future 4k/3D projectors seem very slim.

Is It worth upgrading to 4k with a 92" screen at around 8-12 ft?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
So I just picked up an HT1070, and I'm debating the whole 4k vs blu ray thing. I have 4k 55" tv, but now a 92" screen with 3D. I really enjoy the 3D, but 4k is the future it seems. I got the HT1070 on sale for 499 from newegg, but now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet, and go all in now since future 4k/3D projectors seem very slim.

Is It worth upgrading to 4k with a 92" screen at around 8-12 ft?
3D 4K projectors are pretty common as far as I can tell. All the Sony, JVCs and a lot of the others. It is the panel TV side it is pretty grim.

TV wise, has anyone looked into this as an option? I've got a Sony projector so don't really have the need to try one.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/3d-edison-make-any-tv-a-3d-tv#/

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends on filter quality.
Sorry, i already have a fullhd passive setup with 250 glasses :)
I only ask if somebody builded a dual 4k setup yet.
Would you happen to know what filter you used for your passive 3D setup? I have an Optoma UHD60 DLP projector with a Elite Aeon 3D 120" (AR120DHD3) projection screen and I can only get 50% polarization with circular polarized filters, the other projector in my duel setup is LCD and that polarizes at 85-90%. If i can get the UHD60 that high it would make it! I've also tried DLP and LCD specific polarized filters but wondering if I should be using a specific degees or just a custom filter and where to get it?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I use linear glass filters from Hony3D company.
It transmit around 38% of light.
But thats enough in a dark room with 2-3000 lumen projectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use linear glass filters from Hony3D company.
It transmit around 38% of light.
But thats enough in a dark room with 2-3000 lumen projectors.
Ah I'm using Hony 3D Circular polarized filters myself and one works great with the LCD projector but the DLP doesn't .. DO you think the linear would make much of a difference? Have any reasoning for using one over circular?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hmm, every polar filter should work with DLP projectors.
LCD depends on chip orientations.
I use linear because of less ghosting.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Anything new on the 4K/3D front? I just did a closer inspection of this BENQ TK800 unit and I was wrong. The real problem is the height, after all. My current projector center lens (Epson 3100) is about 6" to the right of the center of the screen (to avoid it hanging too close to the walkway; it has full vertical and horizontal lens shift so this is not an issue). If the lens were in the center instead of to the right (while hanging upside down), it would only be about 4" off and if to the left upside down, 2" (which I believe the Universal mount could accommodate).

Unfortunately, here the lens is once again on the right side upside down and so it would be 6" right of center. I see the TK800 does have horizontal keystone adjustment and while digital keystone correction is not ideal, that would probably accommodate that relatively small distance one way or another (i.e. rotate mount slightly and correct). This doesn't matter one iota, however due to the height issues.

Since with the current screen about 40" off the ground for the bottom of the screen and the top about 4.5" from the ceiling (making the usable diagonal space on the screen much closer to 88" instead of 92", which I can't do anything about since the bookshelves limit the vertical travel any further and that also means I can't move it any lower and short of a flush ceiling mount, it's not going to go any higher either), this means this utterly inflexible projector in the vertical domain would need a ceiling mount higher than the ceiling itself to have the middle of the lens 5" from the top of the screen. Ironically, given how much further forward it would need to go for 88" with its relatively tiny 1.2x zoom lens, it could sit dead center off the ceiling there easily enough (being on the ceiling instead), but even flush mounted to the ceiling (which would be rough to get cabling in as it would be very close in front of the center beam drop where I'm currently hanging the existing projector FROM), I would lose even more screen real estate. Desk mounted, it would need to sit 3' off the floor (40" - 4" for an 88" diagonal image). This is ideal for a little stand! The problem is to be centered, it would more or less need to be sitting right in my couch seat instead of me! :D

The bottom line is if this is the sort of utter inflexibility they're going to sell with 4K projectors, it's going to be a LONG time before I get one.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
No chance of picking up a Sony, even a used one / older model? Or just too far out out of range?
What bothers me about the Sony (other than its weight which means I'd probably want a new mount) is the low lumens. The $5K model only has 1500 lumens (and even the $15K one only has 1800). My current 2K 3D projector (Epson 3100) has 2600 lumens and I wish it had more like 3000 for 3D. I can't imagine the 3D being very bright on the Sony. 1500 might suffice for 2D, but even there how well is HDR going to function at 1500 lumens? That's an approximate 440 NITS. My 2018 QLED has closer to 1500 NITS and I'm still not entirely blown away by HDR (more impressed by the dark blacks than the brightest whites, but still feel more immersed with the Epson projector and larger screen).

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
What bothers me about the Sony (other than its weight which means I'd probably want a new mount) is the low lumens. The $5K model only has 1500 lumens (and even the $15K one only has 1800). My current 2K 3D projector (Epson 3100) has 2600 lumens and I wish it had more like 3000 for 3D. I can't imagine the 3D being very bright on the Sony. 1500 might suffice for 2D, but even there how well is HDR going to function at 1500 lumens? That's an approximate 440 NITS. My 2018 QLED has closer to 1500 NITS and I'm still not entirely blown away by HDR (more impressed by the dark blacks than the brightest whites, but still feel more immersed with the Epson projector and larger screen).
Brightness is relative. Have you ever gone to a cinema and felt like it was utter garbage and not bright enough? I have a 675es, and I have it on low lamp, and iris at 60% max. My room is light controlled. Even then, it took me a while for my eyes to get used to adjusting to the brightness and shift during movies. I was considering bias lighting for a while.

If you are watching in a non dedicacted room with a lot of ambient light then yeah, lumens.

I don't understand the whole lumen fervor with panel TV's either. I appreciate reality reproduction, but I don't really need to watch a daytime scene with the sun in the background and get the same effects as reality. Eg retinal burn from staring at the sun. When I am looking at one image, say I pause in any scene, my eyes only have one iris setting. And if the image is maxed out due to some crap being too bright, like say the sun, or heavy backlighting, I'm not going to be able to see any real detail.

Lumens are so overrated.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Brightness is relative. Have you ever gone to a cinema and felt like it was utter garbage and not bright enough?
Yeah, in the 1980s watching Jaws 3D and Metalstorm. :D

Even as cool as Magic Journeys 3D (I saw it for the first time in 1984) was back in the day at Epcot Center in Walt Disney World (and later the Magic Kingdom in the late 1980s before they retired it), it felt like a film because polarized 3D was still somewhat dark.

I have a 675es, and I have it on low lamp, and iris at 60% max. My room is light controlled. Even then, it took me a while for my eyes to get used to adjusting to the brightness and shift during movies. I was considering bias lighting for a while.

If you are watching in a non dedicacted room with a lot of ambient light then yeah, lumens.
Oh, it's a dedicated room, but somehow turning the projector on bright just looks better (too bad the fan is so much noisier). With the LG UP875 boosting brightness levels (+1 with contrast -1) and the projector on max brightness setting, daytime 3D looks just about right. Any less and it feels like I'm watching a film. I guess the key word is immersion. The QLED is extremely pretty and both pitch dark and super bright at the same time, but it's not large enough to be truly immersive and a dark room is needed to forget you're in a room while watching a movie. I'm starting to think I should just replace my 92" projection screen (which is closer to 88-89" in practical use) for an 75" QLED (the 88" one is a perfect replacement, but $20K). Oh, but then I'm forgetting about 3D.... bummer

I don't understand the whole lumen fervor with panel TV's either. I appreciate reality reproduction, but I don't really need to watch a daytime scene with the sun in the background and get the same effects as reality. Eg retinal burn from staring at the sun. When I am looking at one image, say I pause in any scene, my eyes only have one iris setting. And if the image is maxed out due to some crap being too bright, like say the sun, or heavy backlighting, I'm not going to be able to see any real detail.

Lumens are so overrated.
Have you seen a 2018 QLED? I watched The Matrix in a pitch dark room and this is a 1500 NITS set (around 5000 lumens) and it has no trouble with inky blacks and yet mega brightness if it needs it and yet it was not blinding with HDR (even when the screen flashes those fade to whites, which are more blinding on my projector system). Frankly, I wish my projector could tone itself down in brightness as well as the QLED can.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Yeah, in the 1980s watching Jaws 3D and Metalstorm. :D

Even as cool as Magic Journeys 3D (I saw it for the first time in 1984) was back in the day at Epcot Center in Walt Disney World (and later the Magic Kingdom in the late 1980s before they retired it), it felt like a film because polarized 3D was still somewhat dark.

Oh, it's a dedicated room, but somehow turning the projector on bright just looks better (too bad the fan is so much noisier). With the LG UP875 boosting brightness levels (+1 with contrast -1) and the projector on max brightness setting, daytime 3D looks just about right. Any less and it feels like I'm watching a film. I guess the key word is immersion. The QLED is extremely pretty and both pitch dark and super bright at the same time, but it's not large enough to be truly immersive and a dark room is needed to forget you're in a room while watching a movie. I'm starting to think I should just replace my 92" projection screen (which is closer to 88-89" in practical use) for an 75" QLED (the 88" one is a perfect replacement, but $20K). Oh, but then I'm forgetting about 3D.... bummer

Have you seen a 2018 QLED? I watched The Matrix in a pitch dark room and this is a 1500 NITS set (around 5000 lumens) and it has no trouble with inky blacks and yet mega brightness if it needs it and yet it was not blinding with HDR (even when the screen flashes those fade to whites, which are more blinding on my projector system). Frankly, I wish my projector could tone itself down in brightness as well as the QLED can.
I have seen some oled and qled, but I don't have the need, and they have no 3d.

Maybe you are looking at and using the wrong type of projector and need something with a dynamic iris or better processing. Have you seen a good Sony in decent conditions? I know I had to buy mine sight unseen and only one place with a Sony I could see and there was so much ambient light it looked like total garbage.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I have seen some oled and qled, but I don't have the need, and they have no 3d.
Well, the OLEDs DID briefly. For some short-sighted reason, the industry decided saving $40 on the price of the TV was more important than keeping 3D fans happy.

Maybe you are looking at and using the wrong type of projector and need something with a dynamic iris or better processing. Have you seen a good Sony in decent conditions? I know I had to buy mine sight unseen and only one place with a Sony I could see and there was so much ambient light it looked like total garbage.
The Epson 3100 has a dynamic iris. That helps black levels in dim scenes, but it doesn't make the picture any brighter.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Well, the OLEDs DID briefly. For some short-sighted reason, the industry decided saving $40 on the price of the TV was more important than keeping 3D fans happy.

The Epson 3100 has a dynamic iris. That helps black levels in dim scenes, but it doesn't make the picture any brighter.
Yeah. It isn't even about cost. They could EASILY support it with firmware only, and an optional "pay if you want it" RF dongle like the JVC 3D projectors use. They are just scum, and rather waste money developing bloated crXX applications and idiotic post processing for the TVs. It is another thing I LOVE about projectors. The are, as they should be, pure display devices.

201 - 220 of 372 Posts