AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple years ago I reached out to the community here for advice on which receiver to purchase and ended up with the one I currently have (Yamaha RX-V675). It's been great and has done the job well. However, I recently upgraded to a 4K TV and need to update my receiver - I tried using the HDMI ports on the TV and just sending the audio through the receiver, but it is not the same! I want everything to just go through the receiver. I've had great success/advice from the community here, that I would like to get some on 4K receivers.

Currently, this setup is for our living room. I don't need top of the line, but not bottom of the barrel as well. I've looked at several different types/models and narrowed it down to a few brands. One of the is an entry level Denon, which I might just do the job for family TV and devices (but it doesn't have DTS:X and Dolby Atmos), but I'm not sure if I should lose out on some sound features.

Here are the few models I am looking at purchasing. Any advice/guidance on which one to purchase would be really helpful! Thank you in advance.

Yamaha
1. $249 - Yamaha TSR-5810 7.2-Ch x 80 Watts Atmos & DTS:X
2. $249 - Yamaha RX-V581 7.2-Ch x 80 Watts Networking A/V Receiver
3. $269 - Yamaha RX-A660 7.2-Ch x 80 Watts Networking A/V Receiver

Denon
1. $149 - Denon AVR-S530BT 5.2Ch x 70 Watts A/V Receiver
2. $269 - Denon AVR-S920W 7.2-Ch x 90 Watts Networking A/V Receiver
3. $279 - Denon AVR-S730H 7.2-Ch x 75 Watts Networking A/V Receiver w/HEOS

Pioneer
1. $269 - Pioneer Elite VSX-LX101 7.2-ch x 80 Watts Networking A/V Receiver
2. $299 - Pioneer VSX-S520 5.1-ch x 50 Watts Slim Networking A/V Receiver

EDIT: I noticed that the Denon's have more HDMI ports. The Denon AVR-S920W has 7, which is really nice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you have Atmos speakers? Do you intend to get them?
No idea. I have the Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1 Setup. I didn't know there are special speakers for Atmos. It won't play through any speaker?

EDIT: Looks like they are not Atoms compatible. At this time, I don't play to buy new speakers, but in a year or two that could change.

·
Premium Member
88,947 Posts
You can purchase Atmos enabled speakers which are speakers placed on top of existing speakers that bounce the audio off a ceiling that is no more than 11' in height, otherwise, you can also add speakers on the front/rear walls as well as on/in the ceiling so there are multiple ways to experience Atmos, not just having them built into the speakers themselves.

Decide what features/inputs/outputs you want as well as your max budget and that will help you narrow down your choices.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can purchase Atmos enabled speakers which are speakers placed on top of existing speakers that bounce the audio off a ceiling that is no more than 11' in height, otherwise, you can also add speakers on the front/rear walls as well as on/in the ceiling so there are multiple ways to experience Atmos, not just having them built into the speakers themselves.

Decide what features/inputs/outputs you want as well as your max budget and that will help you narrow down your choices.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look to the Atmos enabled speakers around 2018 BF. For now, I think my receiver budget will be $300 + tax.

Based on the ones I listed, which one would you recommend?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
In the Yamaha line, the RX-V581 and the TSR-5810 are identical. The latter is just given a different model number for sale by wholesale clubs (like Costco).

The RX-A660 and the RX-V581 are very similar. The A660 is from the Aventage line, supposedly made with superior components. I wouldn't have recommended it over the 581 at the original retail price difference, but it may be attractive at only $20 more.

Among the Denon models that you list, the AVR-S730H is the only 2017 one. If you need Dolby Vision support, it's the only Denon model on your list that has it. None of the Yamahas that you list have it.

I'm unfamiliar with the Pioneers, but the Elite VSX-LX101 is also supposed to support DV.

I don't have a clear enough idea of your requirements to make a recommendation.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the Yamaha line, the RX-V581 and the TSR-5810 are identical. The latter is just given a different model number for sale by wholesale clubs (like Costco).

The RX-A660 and the RX-V581 are very similar. The A660 is from the Aventage line, supposedly made with superior components. I wouldn't have recommended it over the 581 at the original retail price difference, but it may be attractive at only $20 more.

Among the Denon models that you list, the AVR-S730H is the only 2017 one. If you need Dolby Vision support, it's the only Denon model on your list that has it. None of the Yamahas that you list have it.

I'm unfamiliar with the Pioneers, but the Elite VSX-LX101 is also supposed to support DV.

@bobknavs - thank you very much for the break down of each line. This really helps me understand it more.

The receiver is for a family TV. The kids watch their movies and shows, and my wife and I watch shows/movies as well as I play some Xbox One X. I have a basic 5.1 Setup with the Andrew Jones Speakers. When we end up moving in a year or two, my plans are to have a home theater room where I will have more advanced components.

At this time, I am just looking for something that would serve the purpose of everyday watching tv, movies, and games with the kids, but also is current enough to take advantage of the 4K HDR content from movies and games systems.

Does this help at all in providing a recommendation?

Side note: I looked up Dolby Vision and I see it is similar to HDR10. Is it worth having? My current TV is the Philips 4k HDR 75" (PFL6601) - it's not the greatest, but it is my first 4K TV and suites the needs for the "general" family watching!

·
Registered
25 Posts

Denon 2016 models also support dolby vision (not sure about the entry models)

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Denon 2016 models also support dolby vision (not sure about the entry models)

I didn't mention that because the listed 2016 Denon models won't be getting a DV update.

http://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4723/~/hdr-format-compatibility

It's a UK site, but I believe that US models are the same as regards DV updates.

The X1300W is the lowest-end model on the list.

I have an X4300H (also 2016), which received its update months ago.

I don't know how to reliably spot 2017 Denon models. Some of them use a 4 as their second digit in the model number, like a 1400 (vs the 2016 1300). The lower-end models with an H suffix (for built-in Heos) are also 2017 models. There are 2016 models with an H suffix, but they're higher end (like the X4300H).

·
Registered
222 Posts

EDIT: I noticed that the Denon's have more HDMI ports. The Denon AVR-S920W has 7, which is really nice.

At the price points you’re looking at, your best bet is the Denon 920. It’s got more hdmi ports, Also, I believe that it is both HLG and Dolby Vision compliant (check please, I know that their Marantz equivalents are), as none of the listed Yamahas are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If you're going to go with the Denon, try to go with the "X" series as they are the better models and have MultiEQ XT.

These are what I would recommend:

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-ch-x-80-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

This one should meet your current budget. It supports HDR10 and DV and has 6 HDMI inputs.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...etworking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

This one is only $70 more and has 8 HDMI inputs and it gives you a little more power to utilize.

Hope this helps.

Darrell

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't mention that because the listed 2016 Denon models won't be getting a DV update.

http://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4723/~/hdr-format-compatibility

It's a UK site, but I believe that US models are the same as regards DV updates.

The X1300W is the lowest-end model on the list.

I have an X4300H (also 2016), which received its update months ago.

I don't know how to reliably spot 2017 Denon models. Some of them use a 4 as their second digit in the model number, like a 1400 (vs the 2016 1300). The lower-end models with an H suffix (for built-in Heos) are also 2017 models. There are 2016 models with an H suffix, but they're higher end (like the X4300H).
Not the "X" serie only... I own a S720 and got the update

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
At the price points you’re looking at, your best bet is the Denon 920. It’s got more hdmi ports, Also, I believe that it is both HLG and Dolby Vision compliant (check please, I know that their Marantz equivalents are), as none of the listed Yamahas are.
Thanks @MarlinFan. I checked the list that @bobknavs linked below and the s920w, s730H, and x1300w that d-rail recommended support Atoms and Dolby Vision. It looks like I will be going the Denon route. I am just unsure of which one to get - the s730H, s920w or the x1300w. The range is from $269-$299, which makes the x1300w only $30 more from the s920w. Then again, the s730H is a 2017 and supports Alexa commands. Not sure if the s920w or x1300w do.

If you're going to go with the Denon, try to go with the "X" series as they are the better models and have MultiEQ XT.

These are what I would recommend:

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-ch-x-80-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

This one should meet your current budget. It supports HDR10 and DV and has 6 HDMI inputs.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...etworking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

This one is only $70 more and has 8 HDMI inputs and it gives you a little more power to utilize.

Hope this helps.

Darrell
@darrell - thank you very much for you recommendations. I have narrowed it down to Denon. I won't be able to get the x2300w right now. I cannot justify the extra $70 for the living at this point in time. By the way don't most receives support Audyssey MultEQ XT? I know my current Yamaha has it.

Not the "X" serie only... I own a S720 and got the update

Thank you.

Thanks.

A little more web searching came up with:

http://www.avsforum.com/dolby-vision-hdr-home/

That's a much longer list than I had previously noticed. The S720 is on it.

I learn something new every day. (Unfortunately, I forget two old things.)
Thanks for the link @bobknavs. I really appreciate it. All three Denon models I am interested have atmos and Dolby Vision: s730H, s920w or the x1300w.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Darrell - thank you very much for you recommendations. I have narrowed it down to Denon. I won't be able to get the x2300w right now. I cannot justify the extra $70 for the living at this point in time.

Thank you.

Thanks for the link bobknavs. I really appreciate it. All three Denon models I am interested have atmos and Dolby Vision: s730H, s920w or the x1300w.

If you don’t mind spending the extra $30, the Denon 1300 really is a no-brainer - and I’m a Yamaha fan.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you don’t mind spending the extra $30, the Denon 1300 really is a no-brainer - and I’m a Yamaha fan.
Thanks Marlin. I really appreciate the feedback and recommendation. Looks like I will go with the 1300 then. As far as firmware updates, do I need to perform one when I receive it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well shoot - the Denon AVR-x1300w is not on URC's CCP device list. Unfortunately, it won't be compatible with my URC remote. Both the S920W and S730H are supported by URC and have Audyssey MultEQ.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well shoot - the Denon AVR-x1300w is not on URC's CCP device list. Unfortunately, it won't be compatible with my URC remote. Both the S920W and S730H are supported by URC and have Audyssey MultEQ.

I’d contact their tech support before pulling the trigger on a lesser unit.

·
Registered
222 Posts

I’d contact their tech support before pulling the trigger on a lesser unit.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts