AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is the proper forum or not, please let me know where to move it.

Regarding Blade Runner The Final Cut:

- 4K UHD Disk is $34.99 pretty much everywhere. Yes it includes 4 discs, and all the version of the movie but only Final Cut in 4K UHD.
- 4K Buy on Amazon is $14.99 (doesn't say what kind of Audio)
- 4K Buy at GooglePlay Movies is $8.99 (Says 4K HDR 5.1 Audio)

Has any one compared the streaming version to the 4K UHD version of JUST the movie?

I'm guessing maybe audio is the biggest enhancement?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Here is my experience. Streaming 4K from a good source is about as good as a good quality 1080p blu ray video wise. It just doesn't have the bitrate to be as good as a 4K UHD. I will admit, streaming is convenient and easy and we find ourselves doing it more and more, but it's not the same quality as a good 4K UHD disk. Audio is the biggest negative if you have a high quality audio setup. Streaming 4K does usually have Atmos, but it's the lossy variety, and not near the same quality as a disk.

Some of it depends on your system too - on a 65" TV in a living room you probably won't notice a difference, but in an immersive experience with a high quality audio system (and assume your viewing distance is close enough relative to your screen size) there is a difference.

If it's me and it's a movie I want to own, I'll get it on disk, even keeping an eye on the classifieds here and ebay as you can often find great deals on 4K disks (most have the digital code already used). If it's a movie I'm just going to watch once, I'll stream it.

Also for what it's worth, I've found movies rented from iTunes to have the best quality and be superior to Amazon Prime - I'd be interested to see if others had the same experience.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Outside of an AppleTV + iTunes, I'd be using Vudu for streaming any purchased content... especially on a device like the Nvidia Shield TV where Atmos is supported. By using Movies Anywhere to link your accounts, where you purchased it (Google, Amazon, iTunes, Fandango, Microsoft, code from Disc purchase, etc) doesn't really matter, they'll all show up on Vudu and have the best image and picture quality available at the resolution you purchased (4K/HDR/Atmos for UHD, 1080p/SDR/5.1 for HDX).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Don't know if this is the proper forum or not, please let me know where to move it.

Regarding Blade Runner The Final Cut:

- 4K UHD Disk is $34.99 pretty much everywhere. Yes it includes 4 discs, and all the version of the movie but only Final Cut in 4K UHD.
- 4K Buy on Amazon is $14.99 (doesn't say what kind of Audio)
- 4K Buy at GooglePlay Movies is $8.99 (Says 4K HDR 5.1 Audio)

Has any one compared the streaming version to the 4K UHD version of JUST the movie?

I'm guessing maybe audio is the biggest enhancement?

Thanks!

The 4K disk is the best for image and sound and can be had cheaper from Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B074SGJHCN/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1AXEHA4HX48WN&dchild=1&keywords=blade+runner+4k&qid=1593225988&sprefix=Blade+runner,aps,292&sr=8-1
UHD disks are region free so no worries there. However, if you want the streaming version I was pretty impressed with the audio quality of this title on Vudu. It was the best streaming Atmos I have heard. Eventually I bought it on disk but unfortunately this movie did not include a code for the streaming version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts