AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm extremely ignorant as pertains to this subject (though, admittedly, I've spent a few hours looking into it), so forgive me.

I'm going to buy a 4K television and use it as a monitor for my PC. I've read that many 4k television don't support 4:4:4 color subsampling, which can ultimately result in "blurry" text on the screen.

My question is:

Does this matter if my GPU doesn't support full 4:4:4 60 FPS 4k (or is this noticeable without meeting said requirement)?

Like I've said, I'm lost, and I'm sure it's a pretty dumb question, but any help before I buy a television would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, just so I understand you, even if I ensure I get a 4k TV with a port that can support 4:4:4 60 fps 4k, if my video card doesn't support that, I don't need to worry about subsampling and blurry text? That is, it's going to be blurry on my, say, desktop, regardless?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Okay, just so I understand you, even if I ensure I get a 4k TV with a port that can support 4:4:4 60 fps 4k, if my video card doesn't support that, I don't need to worry about subsampling and blurry text? That is, it's going to be blurry on my, say, desktop, regardless?
Yes, if you are sending it a 4K signal.

However, I would still try to find a TV that had support for it if your primary use is as a monitor because you can always upgrade your card at a later date once the price of those cards drops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good point. Thanks very much for the reply. Let me lay this on you.

I'm deciding between these two:

Vizio M60-C3 (60 inch, doesn't support 4:4:4)

Samsung UN55JU6500 (55 inch, support 60 FPS, 4:4:4)

Now, I know it's a matter of preference, but considering that I do plan on getting (at some point in the future) a card that supports 4:4:$ (but not necessarily card/s that will support 4K gaming), you feel it'd be worth it, just based on the way text looks, to get a television that's compatible, now?

As I understand it, just because I get a GPU that supports 4:4:4 60, it doesn't mean I'll be able to game with it. However, it will assist in how my desktop and text in general looks. Does that seem correct/what do you think?

Additionally, I'm a little worried about the smaller size, as I understand the larger the television, the more apparent the "4k" is. Any additional input would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
4:4:4 means that the RGB (or YCrCb component signals) are carried with equal bandwidth - and so will look very clear. 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 mean that the Y (luminance / brightness) signal is carried at full resolution but the Cr/Cb (colour difference signals that carry the colour information in a picture) are carried with half resolution (horizontally only for 4:2:2 but horizontally and vertically for 4:2:0)

4:2:2 and 4:2:0 signals will thus mean that your TV will show saturated text and fine detail as 'blurry'. This isn't a problem with video content - as it is almost all sent 4:2:0 to homes (and many production masters will be 4:2:2) - but can be for graphics and text.

If either your GPU or your TV is limited to 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 you are stuck.

HOWEVER - you may find that your TV and/or GPU are able to run 4:4:4 at a lower refresh rate (30Hz or less) and only impose the 4:2:2/4:4:4 limit at higher refresh rates (50Hz, 59.94Hz, 60Hz etc.) If you can cope with a slightly juddery mouse pointer, and only watch film-type content (shot at 24p) you may not have an issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand. Thank you very much for the help. It looks like my gtx970 may actually support it (not sure why I assumed it wouldn't), but I'm going to have to do a little more research.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts