AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy guys

I finally have myself a LG 4K OLED and I'm now trying to feed it the best possible material to fully utilise the equipment / maximise the experience.

Obviously physical media via a capable player is ideal, although physical media seems rather backwards and I'm hoping you can achieve as good via downloaded files or perhaps the same quality as physical yet stored on a hard drive. Any suggestions or directions to source such content ?

Currently Netflix 4K is my highest stream content, I have some older standard non 4K titles on my hard drive, although now with the OLED 4K TV I'm keen to start a new library with only 4K UHD content.

any suggestions to source ?

Also, I'm guessing Netflix 4K is currently on of the best streaming options available ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've only seen Dixney+ & Prime 4k, but I thought Disney+ w/ Dolby Vision looked the best (Mandalorian). The Expanse on Prime in 4k looks pretty good, but not quite to Mando's level. Just my opinion. Enjoy your new TV!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I'm not aware of any apps that can copy down UHD content from Netflix, Disney +, etc. DVDFab has a download app that claims to be able to download content from those mentioned and others like HBO and Amazon but only at a max resolution of 1080P and with AAC 2.0 audio. As long as the stuff that you like is readily available via steaming (and obviously subscription fees) that would seem to be the only choice but I could be wrong. I use DVDFab's components to rip, copy or clone Blu-rays and UHD discs but that's a different ballgame. I do tend to redeem the digital codes for the disc based movies that I buy since the UHDs, either HDR10 or Dolby Vision are usually the way that they present. Many are also in Atmos although it's not true lossless audio but generally the sound is pretty good but sometimes it requires a boost in my AVR's volume level.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I rip all my movies full quality to my server. Have close to 40TBs of 4k movies and 60TB of Blu-ray’s. They are stored full quality with the best sound track. Then I can stream them any where in the house or out of the house. Plex also does hdr tone mapping if your server is fast enough. It actually does a decent job quality wise. I have a dual Xeon (16cores 32 threads) and 64gigs of ram , 12 x12tb drives running Unraid. Also have close to a petabyte in the cloud of movies and tv shows. Disk are still going to have the best quality you can get. Streaming does look pretty good. Just depends on your goal as far as quality vs convenience vs cost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, another newbie question here regarding hz and frame rates - 60hz and 24hz etc. Am I correct in that most Hollywood movies are filmed in 24hz? hence why while my TV is 60hz, when I play a 4K movie it shows 60hz in the 4K player default screen yet when i start a movie it drops back down to 24hz once the disc loads ? and fetch tv etc shows 24hz only. I see that The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is filmed at 48 fps, so im assuming 48hz will display when I select this disc.

Whats the advantage of a higher hz tv when most source material is still at 24hz ? I do have the capable HDMI cables etc that should produce 60hz.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Well, being able to reproduce the content. Unless your tv supports variable refresh rates at the panel, it refreshes at a constant rate. It usually uses trickery to convert the frame rate from the source to the actual panel refresh rate.

You may remember that we had 120Hz or such refresh rates - this was because a 60Hz panel cannot display a 24Hz signal without having to deal with half a frame somewhere. A 120Hz panel can handle 24, 30 and 60Hz content by repeating on each frame 5, 4 or 2 times each (or it could interpolate each frame producing the soap opera effect).

The source also has the same problem - it wants to not alter the signal, so it would prefer to play frames at the same rate as they are stored on disc.

Modern panels generally support a 48-60Hz refresh rate, supporting 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 Hz content by repeating frames or playing it direct.

You want this as it ensures you won't get screen artifacts caused by frame rate differences. We used to do high speed panels, now we use a variable rate panel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I rip all my movies full quality to my server. Have close to 40TBs of 4k movies and 60TB of Blu-ray’s. They are stored full quality with the best sound track. Then I can stream them any where in the house or out of the house. Plex also does hdr tone mapping if your server is fast enough. It actually does a decent job quality wise. I have a dual Xeon (16cores 32 threads) and 64gigs of ram , 12 x12tb drives running Unraid. Also have close to a petabyte in the cloud of movies and tv shows. Disk are still going to have the best quality you can get. Streaming does look pretty good. Just depends on your goal as far as quality vs convenience vs cost.
a petabyte in Cloud? what cloud storage are you using?,i wish i had such a library, i am currently under 12tb right now but planning to upgrade slowly, Plex does a really good job but i sometimes switch between Plex and Emby depending on the content

·
Registered
604 Posts
Me and a friend pay for a G Suite account. Has unlimited storage . Use a program called Rclone to make the G Suite drive look local. I have it setup on my unraid server so it shows local on my home network also. That way I can move stuff from the cloud to local if need be. Here is our current library.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me and a friend pay for a G Suite account. Has unlimited storage . Use a program called Rclone to make the G Suite drive look local. I have it setup on my unraid server so it shows local on my home network also. That way I can move stuff from the cloud to local if need be. Here is our current library.

View attachment 3140895
View attachment 3140896
Sweet, i love how you have organised your collection , i have used G drive but only shared drives and google started purging those drives, although i have always wanted to pay for a Gsuite i just never got around to do it I did not find someone to split the cost with like you have. I started using Rclone like 2 months ago but i haven't got the hang of it well. It's really confusing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm not aware of any apps that can copy down UHD content from Netflix, Disney +, etc. DVDFab has a download app that claims to be able to download content from those mentioned and others like HBO and Amazon but only at a max resolution of 1080P and with AAC 2.0 audio. As long as the stuff that you like is readily available via steaming (and obviously subscription fees) that would seem to be the only choice but I could be wrong. ....
DVDFab DRM Downloader can download 5.1 channel audio with some of the services (also depends on the movies or show on that service).

With the latest DVDFab DRM Downloader version, Netflix is 1080p w/E-AC-3 for 5.1 audio. HBOMax and Paramount+ are 1080p w/AC-3 for 5.1, while Disney+ and Hulu are limited to 720p w/E-AC-3 for 5.1 audio. AppleTV+ is 1080p w/AAC 2 channel audio (there is no 5.1). Amazon WAS 1080p w/E-AC-3 for 5.1 but due to a recent Amazon change its now only SD or 720p w/E-AC-3 up to 5.1.

For 2 channel audio, it can vary between services. Even for some of the services that support E-AC3 and AC3 for 5.1 audio, if their TV Show or movie is only available with 2 channel audio, the 2 channel audio in the downloaded file might be AAC LC, AC3 or E-AC3.

And you are right, DVDFab can't do 4K for any service. Is there any app that can?

While I am aware of "screen recording" apps like Audials One that can do up to 1080p (that is highly compressed) video but only 2 channel audio, I'm not aware of alternatives that work like DVDFab DRM Downloader that gives 5.1 audio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts