AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started researching 4K UHD network media playback devices (both dedicated devices and players with network capabilities) last month, and it became confusing quickly.

For my own edification / sanity, I started tracking certain parameters / capabilities of the devices in a spreadsheet. Since I put a lot of work into the document, I thought I would share, and see if there is interest, or if it is worthy of the start of a reference document.

In the google sheet below, I collected a substantial amount of data, but there are still many pieces missing. I basically have completed my research and decided upon my path forward. However, if members are willing to discuss the various device capabilities, it might be an interesting thread. Let's see if it flowers or withers on the vine.

The Document below is updated as I find information in the threads I follow (ATV, Shield TV, Zidoo X9S, etc.), and then I upload the new version to my Google Drive. So, just be advised the document is newer than the edit date on this post.

Mark

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s4DWMQR0c9aMO0NWt_ezipscu_VDb2OV

·
Registered
801 Posts
The Zidoo X9S is a yes for everything except for DV, HDR-10+, and HLG.

Reactions: giomania

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Zidoo X9S is a yes for everything except for DV, HDR-10+, and HLG.
Thanks for the input.

To clarify, you are saying:
It has an HDMI input?
It supports folders, ISO, and MKV both via network and USB?
What media share types does it support? NFS? SMB?

Since it has the same chip as the Dune players, I was going to assume their capabilities are the same, but you never know, I guess.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
For the Nvidia Shield:

Netflix - HDR10 - YES
Amazon - HDR10 - YES
Vudu - HDR10 - YES
Vudu - Dolby Atmos - Yes (Lossy)

·
Registered
801 Posts
To clarify, you are saying:

It has an HDMI input? Yes
It supports folders, ISO, and MKV both via network and USB? Yes
What media share types does it support? NFS? SMB? Both

Reactions: giomania

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
This is a comparison of MOVIE players not media players. No comparison of music or images presented.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Re: Zidoo X8/X9S/X10 & X20/X20 Pro, no issues w/VC-1 as noted in spreadsheet. Where there is an issue is minimal banding w/4K HDR. Since fixed via f/w update, but need to set output to 10-bit (as light banding is still present w/12-bit). Also VP9 won't play completely smoothly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the File.

Good work Giomania.

I have been working my way through them too. I have been using an Oppo 105 for the last 5 years with good results.

Incoming 77" Pana EZ1000 means that I'm looking for an alternative.

Big things for me are.

4k HDR (preferably with HDR10+) and HD audio decoding from MKV.

It has to produce multichannel PCM as I have a rather complex audio set up and this is all it will accept. I would have been all over one of the Panasonics with the HDR optimiser it they played HD audio for MKV or had a HDMI in.

I'm probably going to end up with a 203.

·
Registered
557 Posts
HELP !!!!!!
Maybe this is the thread for me to post in for help.
I have absolutely no knowledge of this stuff. So, I need help.
We currently live in a house with cable, which we also get our internet through. Most of our viewing is cable but we also have a Roku.
Now, I’m thinking that Roku is one of these devices that you guys are talking about. The wife and daughter use it more than I do.

We’re looking at buying a new house that does not have cable available. So, we’re going to have to go with satellite I guess ☹
When looking at satellite providers, what specs/features do we need to look for ? Does internet over satellite exist ? Is it reliable ? I’ve been in houses which lost satellite signal during stormy weather. This is not acceptable.

As I mentioned, I’m really new to this streaming stuff and reall don’t understand how it works or what capabilities or equipment I need.
Thanks for any help or threads/links you could point me to. I’m so lost here.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gentlemen,

I updated the document based upon feedback above, as well as some from the Apple TV 4K thread. I had to change it back to Excel and update the link, because the Google Sheet versions don't allow easy version management for some reason. With it stored as MS Excel, I can update versions without changing the shareable link.

Thanks for the input.

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,

I was wondering if you could recommend a good projector mount for a wall; i want to mount my projector on the opposite wall to to the screen; but the one Tried even though very sturdy, was not up to the job; because of the sony having only having 3 mounting points and been off centre; it wanted always tip slightly to the back; can you recommend any good mount in the UK? that can be wall mounted (not ceiling mounted)? - many thanks for your help and guidance?

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wrong thread but you can’t go wrong with chief mounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can any of those media players play X265 HEVC Files?
Just about every one of them can. Being able to play H.265/HEVC is necessary to be a 4k UHD media player.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just about every one of them can. Being able to play H.265/HEVC is necessary to be a 4k UHD media player.

Thanks for the info. I brought a ABOX A4 Android TV box for someone that arrives next week I will test it out & see if they will play those Korean
drama files that are in H.265/HEVCMKV.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
giomania, thanks for posting this! So what player are you going with?

Don’t laugh, but I have an ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, AND an OPPO UDP-203.

I haven’t opened the OPPO since receiving it in May. I started down this path of creating this document to basically figure out the abilities of the three players I had, and to decide whether or not to keep the OPPO.

Since I was going to the trouble, I figured what the heck I’ll add some other players in there which is why those other players don’t have a lot of the data filled in.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 208 Posts