AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 65" 4K UHD tv. Also Hve a 4K hopper 3 and upped my Netflix account to include UHD. But I can't figure out how to filter through programming to receive UHD. I do search in Netflix for UHD and get a category "UHD Programs" but when I info on the program it is listed as HD. Dish has a 4K program channel (540 I think) but is off air most of the time. I've found only one football game on that channel in UHD.

How do I find UHD programs?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I just purchased a 65" 4K UHD tv. Also Hve a 4K hopper 3 and upped my Netflix account to include UHD. But I can't figure out how to filter through programming to receive UHD. I do search in Netflix for UHD and get a category "UHD Programs" but when I info on the program it is listed as HD. Dish has a 4K program channel (540 I think) but is off air most of the time. I've found only one football game on that channel in UHD.

How do I find UHD programs?
for Netflix, you need to subscribe to the highest tier in order to get UHD programming

try Vudu or Amazon for UHD rentals as well

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Some of Amazon's originals on Prime are UHD too. If you don't have or need Prime they also offer that programming as a monthly subscription. Hulu has some originals in UHD. Problem with Netflix is they will only list the UHD titles on the TV you have that has UHD. Even with the UHD subscription it won't show if you browse via website.

YouTube also has UHD 4K videos usually at 21 Mbps (Netflix is just 16 Mbps). Good for training eyes to recognize the difference between 4K and upscaled 1080p.:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Re: Netflix, I am subscribed to the highest tier. When I do a search (on my TV) for UHD it does indeed show several programs under that search. But when I play the program and look at the information page, it lists HD - not UHD.

Strange that YouTube has best 4K UHD. I'll look for that, but i usually only use YT for information videos like how to fix my lawn mower - not movies, football, and such. I don't have Amazon Prime and there's a limit to what I want to subscribe to, but I'll look at Amazon videos, Hulu, Vudu and other stuff. I was hoping that there was some way to find Dish or Netflix 4K UHD. Probably as time goes by there will be more UHD programming. There sure are a lot of UHD TVs being sold.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Thanks. Re: Netflix, I am subscribed to the highest tier. When I do a search (on my TV) for UHD it does indeed show several programs under that search. But when I play the program and look at the information page, it lists HD - not UHD.

Strange that YouTube has best 4K UHD. I'll look for that, but i usually only use YT for information videos like how to fix my lawn mower - not movies, football, and such. I don't have Amazon Prime and there's a limit to what I want to subscribe to, but I'll look at Amazon videos, Hulu, Vudu and other stuff. I was hoping that there was some way to find Dish or Netflix 4K UHD. Probably as time goes by there will be more UHD programming. There sure are a lot of UHD TVs being sold.
Linear channel UHD TV broadcasts have so far been very rare in the US (we are falling behind Europe). Pretty much limited to DirecTV I believe. NBC/Comcast is promising some Winter Olympics coverage in February I believe though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks to the OP for asking this. Guess getting a 4K TV got moved way down the list as I have only an 8mg DSL available to me so no streaming for me :( I do have DTV but not worth the hassle of getting new eq. for just maybe 1 channel.

O well still rather live in the Country than in town :)

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
will cable companies ever broadcast 4K content in the same way as 1080i/720p?...or will Netflix, Amazon etc be the only way for the foreseeable future?...I thought the new HLG (HDR format) might help speed up the delivery of 4K HDR

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
will cable companies ever broadcast 4K content in the same way as 1080i/720p?...or will Netflix, Amazon etc be the only way for the foreseeable future?...I thought the new HLG (HDR format) might help speed up the delivery of 4K HDR
Probably not. They already compress HD to get more channels to you, adding 4k will just take up even more space for them.

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
Probably not. They already compress HD to get more channels to you, adding 4k will just take up even more space for them.
I was one of the first Primestar™ satellite customers back in the mid-90's, and they were only putting one or two channels on a transponder back then. You can't believe how good it looked! Aside from the 4x3 aspect ratio, it looked as good as nominal HD content delivered from cable/sat/streaming looks today.

So the way I look at broadcast 4K, which they will inevitably compress and "rate-shape" the heck out of, is this: Maybe then we'll finally get the HDTV we were originally promised! :D

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I was one of the first Primestar™ satellite customers back in the mid-90's, and they were only putting one or two channels on a transponder back then. You can't believe how good it looked! Aside from the 4x3 aspect ratio, it looked as good as nominal HD content delivered from cable/sat/streaming looks today.

So the way I look at broadcast 4K, which they will inevitably compress and "rate-shape" the heck out of, is this: Maybe then we'll finally get the HDTV we were originally promised! :D
Yeah, OTA in particular has no real interest in making HD look good. Someone bought someone out here (we have about 4 syndicates that own practically every station now in the country now), sold off the channel broadcasting FOX and moved it to a subchannel with CBS. So now they both look like dogpoop. I've watched less football this year because of it, and absolutely refuse to watch any other programming on them. I'm sure we'll see a few linear channels pop up here and there mainly on DBS. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Money talks with these guys, they don't care about their PQ or even the quality of their programming.

·
Registered
192 Posts

I don’t think there’s enough 4K to fill a channel 24/7. Besides, appointment TV is so 20th century. Pity we have to pay extra for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
HDR and 4K are two separate things. You can have 720P HDR.
Not only that but you have to author for HDR using color grading. So it's a bit like 5.1 sound which needs to be authored too. 4K is just a resolution standard and much content is acquired nowadays in 4K or better.

·
Registered
27,425 Posts
Not only that but you have to author for HDR using color grading. So it's a bit like 5.1 sound which needs to be authored too. 4K is just a resolution standard and much content is acquired nowadays in 4K or better.
I'm sorry, but I'm unfamiliar with that term. What do you mean by "authored"?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts