AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have not seen this discussion anywhere and wanted to bring it up. Seeing that the market is going to 4K and it's starting to look like it's being accepted. It's just matter of time before the sets come down a little in price. I need a upgrade on my old 65" tv but, I will skip over another 1080p set and plan to move to 4K.

Windows Media Center is getting old and tired. There has been No real updates from the release of Windows 7 or support for new hardware accept that can be setup in Windows. There is no tech coming for it that will upgrade it to support 4K or even any 4K sources (when your cable company and Dish/Directv start supporting it).

Any PC user knows, if you want to support a res, just upgrade your video card, and a video card that support 4K @ 60fps would be fairly cheap to get.

I love the cablecard support in Media Center but, does any other package move on to support cablecards and is ANY home theater PC software supporting 4K.

Sure, you can run WMC on a set @ 4K, sure it will work but, it's downscaled to 1080p.

Is there another option or something down the pipe ? I just wish MS would update it but, that is a dream...

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Mediabrowser Server with Live TV / MB3 Theater would be an option to WMC (and MB3 still offers the classic version inside WMC that works with that set up just in case you wanted it also)

As for 4K - you need HDMI 2.0 and next generation video card. But that is easy enough to do in the future, and should work with any current generation CPU and motherboard without issue.

If you want to do resolution doubling and MADVR up to 4K you will need a robust GPU card though.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I think the delivery vehicles have to be codified and settled first. Is 4K tv going to be an IP delivered format? How will it fit in with legacy cable and satellite equipment? What will it look like when sent over the air? Will any of our current ATSC and Cablecard tuners be able to tune these channels?

For example, you could watch [some of] the Sochi Olympics in 4K, but only with a Samsung smart tv. So it was delivered by Comcast over IP. I don't imagine all future 4K broadcasts will require a Samsung television, but perhaps things will become more segragated and require individualized apps - HBO app, NFL app - who knows?

Someone on the forum posted the Gravity trailer in 4K a few months back - it plays fine in WMC with the correct filters installed. My display is only 1080p, so my htpc is downscaling, but I assume with a high resolution monitor or UHD television I would be able to watch it at native resolution. So that tells me file based playback of 4K shouldn't be a problem in most software players. We just don't know what format UHD/4K "broadcasting" will take on yet ot know what will or won't work with it.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT  /t/1522083/4k-ultra-hd-display-home-theater-options#post_24469061

Windows Media Center is getting old and tired. There has been No real updates from the release of Windows 7 or support for new hardware accept that can be setup in Windows. There is no tech coming for it that will upgrade it to support 4K or even any 4K sources (when your cable company and Dish/Directv start supporting it).

Well the first problem is there is equally "no tech coming" to support 4K/UHD from cable or satellite, what I mean is it's not like there's a 4K provider/technology out there that's lacking support in WMC, there's simply nothing there. The first sources are all proprietary, closed systems that, IMO there is no hope of seeing on the PC. Those being Redray/Odemax and Sony's service. Netflix has a bit more hope but it took them how long to allow 1080p on PCs and isn't it still reduced quality?

As for "TV" proper, well I haven't even heard any rumors, and Dish/DTV has never been supported. On the other hand, there's really nothing to prevent existing CableCard from working, it just reads a bitstream, resolution doesn't matter, kind of like how it works with H.264.
Quote:
I love the cablecard support in Media Center but, does any other package move on to support cablecards and is ANY home theater PC software supporting 4K.

I've not heard of anyone trying to support Cablecard, it's just too expensive and the market is too small. As for 4k, define "support"
Quote:
Sure, you can run WMC on a set @ 4K, sure it will work but, it's downscaled to 1080p.

How do you figure? Video renderers generally aren't that smart.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord  /t/1522083/4k-ultra-hd-display-home-theater-options/0_100#post_24471802

4K hasn't even gone mainstream yet...

Japan Could Begin Commercial 8K Broadcasting in 2016

http://televisions.reviewed.com/news/japan-could-begin-commercial-8k-broadcasting-in-2016?utm_source=usat&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=collab

Dat dere Japan gonna jap. That's awesome.
How come Japan is always the first to get nice things? I'm jealous!

So 8K is 1920+1920=3840 +3840= 7680 ?

So that 7680x 4320?

So much want....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.