AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a deal breaker for you guys when buying an AVR? Is it something I should have in an AVR? Trying to figure out HOW something in the receiver will actually make my picture better.

Thx in advance...Scott

·
Registered
15,151 Posts
Is it a deal breaker for you guys when buying an AVR? Is it something I should have in an AVR? Trying to figure out HOW something in the receiver will actually make my picture better.

Thx in advance...Scott
Every 4k LCD or OLED will upscale to 4k, and may well do it better than an AVR. Not sure why it would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
267 Posts
IMHO, what is more important is that the AVR can do 4k passthrough

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CalJake and BillP

·
Registered
450 Posts

Thx in advance...Scott
No. As others said TV does a great job at this. Plus any processing depending on your AVR can cause audio lag. A lot of UHD players also convert all their material to 4k. I turn off all video processing on the my Denon x4400h.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. As others said TV does a great job at this. Plus any processing depending on your AVR can cause audio lag. A lot of UHD players also convert all their material to 4k. I turn off all video processing on the my Denon x4400h.
Thanks....I figured the TV handled it but thought I better ask before pulling the trigger on a Receiver especially with all the deals out there.. TVs already on the way.

·
Registered
797 Posts

Thx in advance...Scott
Generally no as the TV or source will do just as good of a job.
I thought when it came to 4K sources and content that AVRs don’t allow you to use the video mode setting (or whatever it’s called) on the AVR to do any kind of picture adjustments settings any way or has that changed now?

·
Registered
36 Posts

Thx in advance...Scott
I ended up looking for a receiver that could convert analog ntsc/composite video to digital. Have a very old projector from 2003(Sony vpl-hs60) so wanted to connect those old analog sources. I have to say video chip in Yamaha receiver was an improvement on what I had before. I suspect most people don’t care about old video sources and video conversion is better in modern displays. I got a rxv-685 yamaha but have nothing to compare it to and could find any details on what chip set it uses for up conversion.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I thought when it came to 4K sources and content that AVRs don’t allow you to use the video mode setting (or whatever it’s called) on the AVR to do any kind of picture adjustments settings any way or has that changed now?
Some AVRs can do 4k upscaling, e.g., my Cambridge Audio CXR200 has an option for this, but it doesn't look as good as when the TV does it

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts