AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
System;
LG OLED C7p TV (HDMI 2.0), GTX 1080 ti computer video card (2.0), Integra DHC 80.3 pre/pro(HDMI 1.4)

Software;
5.1 audio files in their native format (LPCM, DTS, DD) played with the VLC Media Player
5.1 audio files copied and converted to flac played with Media Monkey player.

Problem;
I use the Integra as an AV hub for my computer, DirectTV and Blu Ray Player. I went 4K for PC gaming and Netflix and amazon 4K streaming. I am looking for a solution to have 4k video and 5.1 surround sound in its native format. Should be simple. Right?

Things I have tried and failed;
1. HDMI from video card to Integra input with HDMI from Integra output to TV. 1080p video and all 5.1 files played in their native format.
2. HDMI from Video card to TV with HDMI arc or optical out from TV to Integra input. 4k but TV converts files to DD and there are lip sync issues.
3. HDMI from video card to TV with digital audio out from Computer mother board to Integra. 4k but only stereo.
4. HDMI from video card to TV with Digital audio out from ASUS XONAR Essence STX audio card to Integra. 4k but the only way to get sound is to use the audio card driver app which converts audio to dolby digital live. DD Live does play back 5.1 files but it highly compressed.
5.. HDMI from video card to TV and 2nd HDMI out from video card to Integra. I wish. Only one HDMI output.
6 HDMI from video card to Jtech audio Extractor, with HDMI from Jtech to TV and Optical audio out from Jtech to Integra. Did not work because Windows would not recognize the Integra as a play back device. The HDMI to the TV was recognized as the Play back device. Windows. sounds, play back devices.
7. HDMI to HDMI splitter with HDMI to TV and HDMI to Integra. 1080p video and audio sources played back in their native format. I read all the reviews of the 4K HDMI splitters on Amazon and none of them could send a 4k signal if one of the inputs was HDMI 1.4.

The solution that will work is to purchase a new Pre/pro, but don't want to do that. It would be sweet if there was someone who could replace HDMI 1.4 inputs with 2.0b.

·
Registered
16,713 Posts
All of your HDMI inputs need to be the same chipset version, otherwise the signal will "fall back" to the in-common protocol set. In other words, pushing from HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 1.4 will only allow HDMI 1.4 protocols on the sink side to be implemented. It sounds like using a receiver with HDMI 2.0b pass-thru would solve your issue. Most tv's don't do well as a hub, especially on the audio side of things because externally connected HDMI devices will have audio formats that the tv just can't decode natively and push it out thru the optical audio cable. Optical is basically designed for the tv's SmartApps and OTA television for sending 5.1.

ARC is a nice idea but can be a real p.i.t.a because it is quite often associated with CEC, and CEC has lots of issues. Because both are HDMI mediated, if you disable one, you disable the other. So you either use ARC/CEC or not. Some newer devices will allow you separate control.

I don't think you can replace (upgrade) HDMI 1.4 inputs to HDMI 2.0b (there are other board changes as well) so you're back to replacing your pre/pro with something a bit newer and more compatible.

·
Registered
14,849 Posts
The solution that will work is to purchase a new Pre/pro, but don't want to do that. It would be sweet if there was someone who could replace HDMI 1.4 inputs with 2.0b.
Unfortunately, as you've already found out by failing, if you want both 4K UHD video and lossless multichannel audio from the computer, you have no choice but to connect it to a modern 4K-capable AVR or pre/pro. Since you're currently interested in only 5.1 surround-sound, you probably can get by with a relatively inexpensive entry-level 5.1 channel AVR, one listing for about $300 or so (~$170 refurbished from Accessories4Less). Depending on your budget, you might consider getting something like that, if only for testing.

If you want quality in a receiver or pre/pro comparable to your current Integra, though, you'll have to consider something with a list price of about $2K. Of course, at that price level you'll also get a lot of additional modern features like 11.1 channel Atmos and DTS:X.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have succumb to the MAN

I am a failure. My engineering degree has been thrown in the trash, This should have been a simple fix. I succumb to the MAN and he shoved a new Marantz av 7703 up my butt. I apologize to the Avsforum, my country, my wife and all of mankind.

·
Registered
16,713 Posts
I am a failure. My engineering degree has been thrown in the trash, This should have been a simple fix. I succumb to the MAN and he shoved a new Marantz av 7703 up my butt. I apologize to the Avsforum, my country, my wife and all of mankind.
If you want to give that 'ol 7703 to me I'll keep it safe so you can restore your manhood and not be such an embarrassment :D

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yea, a HDfury device that will split a 4K signal will give you want you want... I had to do this a while ago...($200+)

The Only problem that happens, is you need to use 2 inputs on your TV and MAKE sure you change to your input on the TV when your using your 4K device. As your splitting your signal, the AVR will see the signal as well. If you have a remote with Macros this would help here.

It runs into problems when you MORE than one HDMI 2.0 device, as you need an external switching setup and put the HDfury AFTER the switch...and a good switch gets expensive.

If you only have ONE HDMI 2.0 device, the HDfury would be quick and simple but, if you end up getting more, it might be time to look at a new AVR, as I did...

NOW, if your doing it ONLY with a HTPC... I used this setup for a while with my Windows Media Center PC running at 4K.... I used a dual monitor setup, DVI to HDMI adapter to TV set at 4K, 2nd monitor to 1080p, This allowed me to get 4K video (with no issues) and a cheap-o 2nd output that was set as the primary sound output... This was FINE for TV and movie viewing but, gaming may be a different story (as a game might see the 2nd monitor and try to use it)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts