AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5040UB that I mostly game on PS4 PRO and I'm probably going to buy a One X tomorrow.
Are any of the new projectors good for fast twitch gaming? I mainly play FPS but I also use it for everything else.

I want that 4K HDR gaming. All I can get right now is 4kish and whatever they consider HDR.
Thank you

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
I have a 5040UB that I mostly game on PS4 PRO and I'm probably going to buy a One X tomorrow.
Are any of the new projectors good for fast twitch gaming? I mainly play FPS but I also use it for everything else.

I want that 4K HDR gaming. All I can get right now is 4kish and whatever they consider HDR.
Thank you
Lowest I am aware of is around 50ms range for the Vivitek HK2288/HK2299 and Optoma UHD60.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I have seen as well. I was wondering if anyone else knew of havent seen on here yet. I am not entirely sure if I would notice the 50ms but i don't have anywhere near me to check.
Would a UHD60/HK2288 be an upgrade from a 5040?
If not it looks like I'm waiting. I was hoping the UHz65 was going to be a lot lower

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
That's what I have seen as well. I was wondering if anyone else knew of havent seen on here yet. I am not entirely sure if I would notice the 50ms but i don't have anywhere near me to check.
Would a UHD60/HK2288 be an upgrade from a 5040?
If not it looks like I'm waiting. I was hoping the UHz65 was going to be a lot lower
First of all, I'd say the HK2288 is better than the UHD60 overall IMO.

That being said on both the black levels will not be as good as the 5040, but the sharpness will be noticeably ahead. Even though the 5040UB claims "4Ke" enhancement, Epson's processing does not do a good job of increasing detail beyond 1080p IMO - it mainly just removes screendoor effect but doesn't increase detail much. The HK2288/UHD60 will have razor sharp 4K in comparison.

So it boils down to whether you'd rather have the higher sharpness of the HK2288/UHD60 or the deeper blacks of the 5040.

I played competitive FPS games no problem with 50ms for a long time. That's around 3 frames lag at 60fps. I would not worry about this lag even for competitive FPS.

The UHZ65 (and UHD65) is around 82ms which is more like 5 frames lag at 60fps, which is still playable but might not be acceptable for FPS competition if you like to rank #1 on leaderboards, etc, and want maximum input lag advantage.

The UHZ65 will be a more head and shoulders upgrade from the 5040UB, though, as it is much brighter than the HK2288/UHD60 and the dynamic contrast is much higher - plus it has a laser with all the functional upgrades that brings. Of course, it also costs 3x as much as the HK2288/UHD60.

The fastest projector I know of is the Vivitek H9090, which is 16ms input lag (1 frame), and this would be a 1080p LED projector - no HDR, no 4K; these are available drastically reduced in price since they are 1080p. The H9090 is also quite a bit sharper than the Epson IMO, with brightness and black levels similar to the UHD65 and the functional gains of LED light source. Can do marathon gaming sessions, leave projector on overnight, etc, without worrying about burning out bulb - plus ultra stable picture that will excel even in the fastest motion due to the 18x speed cycling LEDs. A lot of the same functional gains you'd see on the UHZ65 at a lower price, of course without HDR & 4K.

Even without the 4k features the Vivitek H9090 looks quite stunning with games on the XBOX ONE X, as the XBOX ONE X will supersample 4k-enhanced games, basically rendering them internally at 4k and carefully downscaling to 1080p. This tremendously reduces the aliasing, if not nearly entirely eliminating it, and gives you a lot of the same clean look of 4K without actually being 4K. The biggest downside to this pj is no HDR, but at its current blowout price point it is really hard to beat for gaming overall when combining the LED light source with 16ms input lag.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The photos and everything I have seen regarding the 2288 have looked good with the exception of people saying it takes like 20 seconds to switch sources. That doesn't sound like any fun.

It's hard to pass the up current price of the 2288 if it is a new upgrade to the 5040.
Right now I'm ranked #3 in the world for vehicle destroys on Xbox with a fighter and I havent touched it in two months. If it won't make a difference at 50ms I might as well go for it.

I have never really heard of the 9090 because of its original price tag lol what are they going for nowadays?

Also how will a 2288 look paired with a Cinegrey 5D screen ya think? I have two rolls of the designer cut of it and one of them is big enough to make a 143-144" zero edge screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts