AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to connect 4 sources to two 1080p tv's in the following way.

Sources (all HDMI): PS3, Tivo, Surface Pro, and Gaming computer output 1: into Pioneer VSX-1120 Reciever.

Gaming computer output 2, and Reciever then go into a J-tech 4x2 matrix and the matrix then connects to both displays. I dont have this matrix yet and hence my question...

I am doing this to be able to switch the primary (reciever connected) source between two monitors, and still be able to output the computer screen on the other.

The thing I am trying to figure out is if somehow the J-Tech matrix will screw up the ability of the reciever from getting lossless audio from its inputs due to EDID problems.

If I connect the matrix downstream of the reciever, the input sources of the reciever shouldn't care and should output DTS-HD or Dolby trueHD, regardless of the displays selected by the matrix right?

Both TV's are stereo only but identical resoltions and refresh rates. Normally I think the reciever gets EDID data from the display connected and passes that back to the source but passes its own EDID info to the connected source as far as audio capability. If I am connecting a matrix downstream of the reciever, I think it will still get only display EDID data from the matrix, and not Audio?

Also, I could probably do this with a 2x2 matrix as well but wanted to leave room in case I decide to add more switchable sources in the future that dont need audio.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Draw a diagram...

I would think you'd want to just use different inputs on the displays. Matrix on the output of an AVR is odd and not ideal... Perhaps a splitter there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts