AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Long time troll here, intrigued by the wealth of information in these forums. Hoping you could help me out with a simple distribution problem.

In my living room, I recently wired a 5.1 in wall system. I have flush mounted my TV with a recessed outlet and connected the AVR via its HDMI output to the TV. The AVR and other components are located in an unused coat closet roughly 6-8 feet from the mounted TV. 

Connected to the AVR currently are the following components: PS3, PS4, DirecTV Genie and an Blu-ray player. 

I would like to have access to these components via another TV in the bedroom. I believe my main issue is going to lie with the audio (but I could be way off).

Would it be feasible to connect my 4 components to a 4x2 HDMI matrix (like the monoprice one) and output 1 to my AVR (and utilize the 5.1) and output 2 to my bedroom TV via HDMI or HDMI via Cat5e if the run is longer than 25-30 feet?

Would this give me access to separate sources on the two TVs simultaneously? (play PS4 in living room and watch DirecTV in bedroom)

What audio issue could lie within this set-up? The TVs are both Samsung 60" (2013 smart TV) and 42" (2010-11 model)

Thanks for the help in advance,

Cory

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Yes, it will work, but you will have two issues. The hard one is the audio. When the source(s) are connected directly to that TV, HDMI will downshift to stereo PCM audio because the TV doesn't support DD5.1. Which means your living room setup won't get surround sound... Second is the need to control the equipment - you'll need some form of remote repeater / RF remote / matrix with IR repeating /etc.

Do you really need access to all those sources in the bedroom, or just the DirecTV receiver? Game consoles don't work well in remote locations because the game controllers are out of range. It would be much simpler and easier to just use the component video / analog audio outputs from the DirecTV box and avoid all the HDMI hassles. If you want Blu-ray support, just get another inexpensive player for the bedroom.

Jeff

Reactions: Cory Krepps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jeff,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by avoiding all the HDMI hassles in regards to the direct box and component cables.

I would like to have the ps4 available in the bedroom, but its not a necessity, the controllers work when tested.

Your proposal would be to connect all components to the AVR, but I would like to flush mount my bedroom TV and eliminate boxes. So I suppose I would have to run either hdmi or component cable from a second directv box (genie dangle) to the bedroom.

Is there anyway to overcome the initial audio issue by only sending the video signal and connecting my AVR zone 2 out to my russound and utilize my russound for the audio? Or any other suggestion how I could rig up the initial idea to include 5.1 in the living room and stereo sound upstairs

Thanks,

Cory

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upon thinking about utilizing the russound more I still would not be able to get ps4 audio because zone 2 Pre amp output on my AVR is analog only, but I could get directv and blu-ray via component audio

Cory

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Krepps  /t/1522001/4x2-matrix-to-avr#post_24469038

I'm not quite sure what you mean by avoiding all the HDMI hassles in regards to the direct box and component cables.

Avoiding HDMI hassles by avoiding the use of HDMI in the second room. Taking advantage of the simultaneous component video output from the DirecTV.
Quote:
I would like to have the ps4 available in the bedroom, but its not a necessity, the controllers work when tested.

Your proposal would be to connect all components to the AVR, but I would like to flush mount my bedroom TV and eliminate boxes. So I suppose I would have to run either hdmi or component cable from a second directv box (genie dangle) to the bedroom.

Flush mounting the TV has no impact on using component video. Once you start needing multiple sources, you're going to be driven back to a matrix switch - unless you're willing to use a second AVR and speakers for the bedroom TV.
Quote:
Is there anyway to overcome the initial audio issue by only sending the video signal and connecting my AVR zone 2 out to my russound and utilize my russound for the audio? Or any other suggestion how I could rig up the initial idea to include 5.1 in the living room and stereo sound upstairs

No, that's a limitation of HDMI and all the gear in the chain. Once you start needing multiple sources, you're going to be driven back to a matrix switch - unless you're willing to use a second AVR and speakers for the bedroom TV. Then this becomes relatively easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Krepps  /t/1522001/4x2-matrix-to-avr#post_24469077

Upon thinking about utilizing the russound more I still would not be able to get ps4 audio because zone 2 Pre amp output on my AVR is analog only, but I could get directv and blu-ray via component audio

Or, for $6/month just add a Genie client in your bedroom and forget all of this stuff. And you'll be able to watch a different channel in both rooms, too. If you want the box hidden away for a wall-mount TV, that's easy. HDMI extender, or depending on your mount, you might be able to tuck it behind the TV...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So just to be clear if I had an AV Receiver in the bedroom the system work?

I have a couple genie clients connected in unused rooms and am leaning towards keeping the living room an entertainment center and just having the directv in the bedroom.

Jeff, I saw your name come up with a lot of russound stuff I've been reading. I am able to run pre amp output 2 from my AVR to a source on my caa66 and ill be able to get directv audio throughout the house correct?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Krepps  /t/1522001/4x2-matrix-to-avr#post_24469350

So just to be clear if I had an AV Receiver in the bedroom the system work?

Yes, then you can use either an HDMI matrix, or just a set of HDMI splitters for each source. With an AVR handling the audio for all attached displays consistently, you avoid all the audio compatibility issues with HDMI. There still may be issues with an inexpensive HDMI matrix, but those are generally minor glitches.
Quote:
I have a couple genie clients connected in unused rooms and am leaning towards keeping the living room an entertainment center and just having the directv in the bedroom.

If that's the case I'd just use an HDMI extender and an RF remote for the Genie client.
Quote:
Jeff, I saw your name come up with a lot of russound stuff I've been reading. I am able to run pre amp output 2 from my AVR to a source on my caa66 and ill be able to get directv audio throughout the house correct?

Not from the AVR - most (all?) of them will NOT output analog on zone2 for digital or HDMI inputs. But you don't want to do that anyway - run an analog audio line straight from the DirecTV box. That will allow the Russound to use it without the AVR having to be on and/or controlled...

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Jeff, 

If I upgrade my AVR to a Yamaha rx-a2030 (been looking to upgrade); I can leave the switch out of the set-up correct?

In other words I would have DirecTV1, DirecTV2, PS4, Xbox 1, Apple TV connected to 2030 via HDMI; output via HDMI to living room and bedroom. This receiver would eliminate the 5.1 stepdown because of the lowest common product (stereo sound Samsung in bedroom)?

This would thus allow me to accomplish my previous goal as stated, PS4 playing blu-ray at 5.1 in living room and DirecTV in stereo in bedroom?

I would also RCA connect DirecTV2 to my russound (as you suggested) so I can listen to football on the patio.

Thanks for your help, this should hopefully be my last questions on the issue as I'm getting eager to make my system changes.

Cory

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
No, unfortunately... The Yamaha AVR has a built-in HDMI matrix, but it's not providing any solution to the common denominator problem. See page 94 of the manual... The most likely case here is that when you're listening to 5.1 sources in the main room, the 2nd zone probably has no audio.

Now, if you upgrade your AVR, and move the old one to power your bedroom setup (and add speakers to support that), that would work - because you'd be raising the common denominator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Jeff, 

I was looking through the manual; and page 129 has HDMI OUT2 Assign: Select the zone for which the HDMI OUT 2 (ZONE OUT) jack is used.

The sub-bullet reads: Audio Output : Enables/disables the audio output from the HDMI OUT 2 jack when "HDMI OUT2 Assign" is set to "Zone2".

This leads me to believe that zone 2 audio can be outputted through hdmi 2 out is that correct? Would it then step the living room down to stereo sound or would it uphold the 5.1 because it is a different "zone"?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Krepps  /t/1522001/4x2-matrix-to-avr#post_24482971

This leads me to believe that zone 2 audio can be outputted through hdmi 2 out is that correct? Would it then step the living room down to stereo sound or would it uphold the 5.1 because it is a different "zone"?

It will step down. The HDMI source, no matter what, will only output one audio stream at a time. The matrix in the AVR is giving you the choice (which is better than what you get with most standalone matrix boxes) - do you want zone1=5.1 / zone2=no audio, or zone1=2-channel / zone2=2-channel. See that in either case, the source is producing the same audio for both zones - it's just in the first case there' NO audio to zone2.

Now, for some sources you may be able to work around this by using a digital audio output cable - I saw mention in the manual of the ability to use a different audio source when watching an HDMI video source. That *might* allow you to use set-top boxes and sources other than Blu-ray using the Zone2 setting to allow audio on HDMI2-Out. The source would be sending 2-channel PCM over HDMI, but the separate digital audio cable could carry DD5.1 to the AVR, for the exclusive use in Zone1 for that source. Might take some checking to ensure the source will output DD5.1 even if HDMI audio is forced to 2-channel PCM. And you're SOL if the source device doesn't have a separate digital audio output...

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1522001/4x2-matrix-to-avr#post_24483496

It will step down. The HDMI source, no matter what, will only output one audio stream at a time. The matrix in the AVR is giving you the choice (which is better than what you get with most standalone matrix boxes) - do you want zone1=5.1 / zone2=no audio, or zone1=2-channel / zone2=2-channel. See that in either case, the source is producing the same audio for both zones - it's just in the first case there' NO audio to zone2.

So as long as the sources are different in each room. I.E. PS4 in the living room and DirecTV1 in the bedroom it should output PS4-5.1 to the living room and DirecTV1-stereo to the bedroom, correct? The only issue is when the source is the same in both rooms?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Krepps  /t/1522001/4x2-matrix-to-avr#post_24483517

So as long as the sources are different in each room. I.E. PS4 in the living room and DirecTV1 in the bedroom it should output PS4-5.1 to the living room and DirecTV1-stereo to the bedroom, correct? The only issue is when the source is the same in both rooms?

Yes. But getting each source to "upshift" when the other zone isn't being used may require a power cycle of some or all of the gear. Hard to predict how well-behaved the stuff will be on HDMI events... For common products like the DirecTV receivers, though, someone here can probably chime in on how well they adapt to HDMI configuration changes on the fly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts