AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've seen many posts about the Monoprice 4X2 True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Powered Switch, but I'm curious if anyone knows for sure if this unit can handle TrueHD and DTS-HD MA?

The website says "Support for LPCM/Dolby-AC3/DTS7.1/DSD"

Where other products actually say "Digital audio formats supported: DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, LPCM 7.1, DSD"

I spoke with 2 different technical reps at Monoprice and they gave me 2 answers. One says no, the other says yes. And there is no official specification document so I cannot verify.

I'm still an audio noob. Basically, I have an Onkyo S6200 7.1 surround sound system. I set the PS3 up to LPCM which my understanding means that it decodes everything, then sends it to the Onkyo receiver.

So I just want to make sure, if I have a 7.1 lossless blu-ray playing (TrueHD or DTS-HD MA), can the Monoprice switch handle that and send everything perfectly over to the Onkyo receiver?

If anyone has this Monoprice unit and has tested it, I would be interested in your findings.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
In HDMI the audio is part of the video signal. There's no easy way for the switch to distinguish between the various audio formats including TrueHD, nor what it want to. There's very little difference in overall frequency response requirements between the various audio formats. That's dominated by the high frequency requirements of the video. So I don't see any reason that the switch wouldn't carry all the various audio formats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/18127250

In HDMI the audio is part of the video signal. There's no easy way for the switch to distinguish between the various audio formats including TrueHD, nor what it want to. There's very little difference in overall frequency response requirements between the various audio formats. That's dominated by the high frequency requirements of the video. So I don't see any reason that the switch wouldn't carry all the various audio formats.

Thanks for the reply. That is what the first tech rep was eluding too. He said the same that a signal is a signal, and it cannot tell if it is just DTS vs. DTS-HD MA it will just send it.

The description on that switch says it is HDMI 1.3a. From many websites: "HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio." Therefore, like you said, the logical conclusion is that it should be able to handle all types of audio.

Thanks again. If anyone has real experience/data, I still would like to know.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
One thing to be aware of though, is that HDMI is a fully communicating system. So if any of your HDMI outputs are connected to a device that doesn't support HD-Audio, you will not get HD-Audio.

As an example, if you have a bluray player as the source to the switch, outputting bitstream HD-Audio and have 1 port of the switch going to an HDMI compatible reciever then to a TV, and the other port going straight to a TV, you will NOT get HD-audio. The source looks at all the devices connected directly to the switch and determines that your receiver CAN handle hd audio, but your tv CANNOT, so therefore it sends 2-channel instead.

I know this from personal experience and it pisses me off! I don't even use the audio on the separate TV, but HDMI thinks I do and limits the audio, even when the other TV is turned off. My solution is to manually unplug the other tv when I want to listen to hd audio. It sucks.

Crestron makes a unit that is smart enough to figure it all out, but it's not cheap.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue /forum/post/18161364

One thing to be aware of though, is that HDMI is a fully communicating system. So if any of your HDMI outputs are connected to a device that doesn't support HD-Audio, you will not get HD-Audio.

As an example, if you have a bluray player as the source to the switch, outputting bitstream HD-Audio and have 1 port of the switch going to an HDMI compatible reciever then to a TV, and the other port going straight to a TV, you will NOT get HD-audio. The source looks at all the devices connected directly to the switch and determines that your receiver CAN handle hd audio, but your tv CANNOT, so therefore it sends 2-channel instead.

I know this from personal experience and it pisses me off! I don't even use the audio on the separate TV, but HDMI thinks I do and limits the audio, even when the other TV is turned off. My solution is to manually unplug the other tv when I want to listen to hd audio. It sucks.

Crestron makes a unit that is smart enough to figure it all out, but it's not cheap.

I think I lost you right there at the bold part..... I'm sure it has been discussed before...but I just want to make sure.

my cousin has PS3 60gig...Sony 5.1 receiver that has HDMI but not a high end one....

so what would happen if I plug the HDMI cable from the PS3, to this HDMI switch #1......then have plug HDMI cable from port A to the receiver....and HDMI port B to the TV.......and only this set up.......I mean leaving the receiver alone and not having it plugged to the TV for other reasons. (besides maybe Optical from the TV to the receiver for sound)

wait, are we talking about the same thing here when you say this...?

"My solution is to manually unplug the other tv when I want to listen to hd audio."

edit- oh sh1t, haha I forgot about the HDMI going from the switch to the TV and that messing everything up..... I was only worried about the receiver not seeing the TV......frustrating indeed.

well, I guess he is just going to have to settle with Component to the TV, HDMI to the Receiver then..... :X jk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.