AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer 503-CMX plasma screen. When I watch 4x3 material, principally satellite, I use the "Wide" mode, which stretches the sides a bit and cuts off a bit from the top and bottom. This is far more watchable than "Zoom" which cuts off a lot from top and bottom, or "Full" which stretches a lot, and I don't like watching the grey bars on 4x3 display.

I was considering a Faroudja NRS to improve the satellite picture, but my understanding is that the Faroudja doesn't have a mode like "Wide". Since it feeds out through RGB, my plasma won't allow me to watch such a feed in anything other than "Full", because it thinks it is getting a 16x9 progressive feed - which, of course, it is.

Is there a solution to this? Does the HTPC board that contains the Faroudja chip have a way around it?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Andrew C. Lipka:

You are correct that the NRS doesn’t have the equivalent of Wide mode. The panel is actually receiving a PC signal from the NRS, not progressive and, yes, you can’t zoom the panel because it’s in dot-for-dot mode. It also has problems with Pioneer 50†plasmas, which some people notice and some don’t. See this thread for more:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=136516

That problem aside, the NRS does help a bit, especially if your panel is properly calibrated. If you don’t like grey colour bars, you can adjust the NRS colour bars from black to grey and anything in between.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim:

Thanks for your reply.

It isn't that I don't like GREY bars per se, it's more the matter of any bars at all.

Also, since I am going from a 50" 4x3 TV to a 50" 16x9 plasma, when I watch in 4x3 mode, the picture is considerably smaller than I am used to.

Anyway, considering the apparently unresolved problems you report in the related thread, this doesn't look like the way to go for now.

What about a HTPC to do the scaling? The Holograph board uses Faroudja chips, but is there provision for further adjustment of the picture beyond that to imitate the "Wide" mode?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have the setup that you are thinking about getting and am very satisfied with it.

For the most part the NRS improves the DirecTV signal I receive far much better than if I am going from the receiver into the Pio via Svideo.

There are 3 settings on the NRS which correspond to 4x3 Full and Anamorphic.

Over this past year and with a lot of experimenting for all TV shows I jsut leave it on the Full mode -- it does a very nice job of filling the entire screen and cuts off around the edge -- for example if I were watching CNN most of the rolling tickertape at the bottom of the screen is shut off.

This is the way that a number of us view Standard TV on the Pio.

Michael M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.