I know two people in this forum has also seen this problem

Has anyone else - is this OK?

thanks

------------------

BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Proscan 38000 has the same bowing problem. I just got the set 2 weeks ago and I haven't called the shop about it yet. I have to say that the bowing bugs the crud out of me. I avoid watchin 4:3 normal mode because of it. Instead I use 'full'. This isn't a good solution because of the horizontal distortion. I want the curve fixed. Just about every computer monitor I've owned has had the ability to fix this problem. I am hoping that the magic service mode has some solution available. I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Don

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was going to post this very topic today! I am on my second replacement set and both have had the bowing and I think my original did too. This has been mentioned often in this forum. Has anyone been able to get it fixed? If so, what was involved?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I had two replacements and all had the same thing including my original. I think it is because of the large 16x9 tube. My Unity Motion 30" 16x9 has the same bow but it has monitor adjustments for pincushion and v,H and so on. But there is still a pincushion look to the 4:3 material. I don't think it can be fix because of the shape of the tube. I too use the full mode when viewing 4x3 material.

By the way 16x9 material is excellent.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That may be true, and it may not be fixable, but it doesn't seem to explain why the bowing is only on the left. Seems like that explanation would mean bowing on both sides or at least on the right for some sets. It doesn't bother me much right now. My fear is that it will get worse over time. That's why I'm curious as to what causes it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I Have had my F38310 for about a month and a half, on mine, the bowing is on the right side. Almost a barreling look.. about 1" on the right hand side of the screen. only on certain material do i really notice it.(scrolling graphics or some left to right pans.) and only on streched 4x3 and interlaced DVD output. HD and DVD through my progressive scan player are perfect.

------------------

Patrick Simon

·
Registered
42 Posts
To all owners of the RCA F38310, I watch all the 4:3 stuff on 'full' mode not 'fill' mode.

I will walk you though it, go to your 'remotes' blue colored buttons, go down to number 6 preferences, then hit center button 'okay'. Then go down to # 4, ease arrow to right hit "full" then blue button called 'clear'. Just a walk in the park once you get use to it, and you will.

This will NOT make your images so tall, I am in this mode right now.

If you go and hit 'fill' mode then and only then will your images look 'too tall' and 'cut' part of your screen off! On all 4:3 Concert or Movie DVD's I use this same 'full' mode, to view it works great.

I'm waiting for my progressive DVD player from Digital Jam 2, I put the return receipt requested away in files. To get a return receipt cost more money, but now they can't say they didn't get my fully filled paper from RCA. Containing the sales receipt and my RCA warranty card.

------------------

Gary Seven

[This message has been edited by gary7 (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Read your instruction manual more carefully, Gary7...just hit the Blue Forward Arrow key to change screen aspect ratio. By the way, this function won't work when progressive scan DVD is fed through component inputs (won't need to...screen will automatically fill to 16:9 AR). Also, FULL mode stretches horizontally....FILL modes stretches both horiz. & vertically. Your post reversed the modes.

[This message has been edited by CJArciola, III (edited 07-09-2001).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
CJ your right: I was taught how to use remote by dealer who installed the unit and base. I never had to look at manual, because I use no other funtions!

I don't have any 'sound' cables going into TV set all, I don't ever plan on using TVs speakers. I don't use any cable TV, nor do I use built in direct TV receiver. I'll wait a few years for more programming to become available.

------------------

Gary Seven

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It's too bad their are so many quality control problems continuing at TCI. I can only attribute all the problems I hear in this forum to continuing QC issues. A year ago, I had the MM52100, in fact I went through two of them, before getting rid of the RCA completely and switching to a Sony. Now, I find I'd like to have the 38110 for the study, but again I'm afraid to buy TCI monitors. I guess I could go through a brick and mortar and buy the extended plan again, that way I could keep trying until I got a new one, but... I just don't want the hassle. TCI, if you read this forum, know that you've now lost my business twice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.