AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 4504 unit. I was wondering if the composite video outputs are active even if you have asked for VGA output in the setup ? I will be using the VGA output to my TV and I would like to use the composite outs at the same time as input to a modulator. I use the modulator to output channel 88 so the rest of my house can see the replaytv. If the composite outs are not active, any ideas how to accomplish what I want to do ?

Darryl

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am using the VGA out on my Replay 4040 and what a great improvement it provides.

When I first connected it, I was using the s-video connection and both worked. So if you have VGA output selected and connect the composite video both will work. I haven't tried connecting two monitors to the Replay to see if both are working together, but would think so.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What cables are you using to break out the VGA to component? It's not an issue for me since I don't have component on my TV yet, but I'm looking to buy a new HDTV in the next 3 or 4 months, so might as well ask now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using an Audio Authority VGA -> Component transcoder (Model 09A60). A VGA cable from the 4504 to the transcoder, then component cables from the transcoder to the HDTV (Toshiba 50HX81). This is currently theory, because I don't have my 4504 yet.

Darryl

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
A transcoder is not required. You can get a VGA breakout cable and just use the R, G and B leads, assuming that you set the 4xxx to YPrPb. I think that the only adavantage of a VGA transcoder is avoiding copy protection schemes, but I guess it's possible that on some sets the transcoded picture might be better, although as a general rule I would think that eliminating a conversion would be better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darmad2002
I am using an Audio Authority VGA -> Component transcoder (Model 09A60). A VGA cable from the 4504 to the transcoder, then component cables from the transcoder to the HDTV (Toshiba 50HX81).
A transcoder is not required, the 4000's and 4500's can signal both RGB and YPrPb.

Also, yes, Composite/SVideo will output at the same time as the RGB/YPrPb output. However, the quality of the Composite/SVideo signal will suffer slightly if RGB/YPrPb is active due to filters that need to be disabled for the RGB out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.