AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"There is now no need to choose between guaranteed and non-guaranteed recordings. Set up a show and it will record. You can however choose to record first run episodes only (leaving out the repeats). To keep your drive from filling up, set show to be deleted automatically based on your personal preferences. Don't worry, shows at risk of deletion are colored gray in the Replay Guide, so you can watch them no or preserve them for later viewing. You can also keep shows indefinitely until you delete them."

Um.. I can see the benefits of G and NG. I'm guessing all my NG shows will now become conflicts I will need to resolve.. forever. Well, you can't have new features without losing some of the benefits of the way things used to be.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I can see the loss of G/NG as a problem....

I have one time slot where I rely on this....

I have a G recording to records a show that airs on channel 7. But, in weeks where the show doesn't air....there's an NG recording for a show on channel 5.

Though I could see it as useful if there is a schedule conflict and one show is a repeat and the other isn't......but I currently resolve this situation by doing a onetime G record and select it when the conflict screen comes up.

Right now I'm still using VCRs for the occasional conflict I can't resolve.....but I do have a couple more ReplayTV's on my wish list for the year. (though I'm bumping getting a new computer from my list :()

The Dreamer

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hmmm, I was just reading the 5.0Addendum myself...the "Improved ReplayTV Networking" sounds good.

Now I really do want to run out and get more ReplayTV's.

Though I don't see anything in conflict management for conflicts that occur after a recording is entered. IE: the show didn't air for a couple of weeks, but a week later when the guide data extends further...the show does appear. Or, the usual case where a show shifts one time slot (or becomes longer, like Alias) and becomes a conflict.

The Dreamer

·
Registered
117 Posts
IMHO, these changes to G/NG is a reduction in conflict management functionality, and pushes ReplayTV farther from Tivo in that department...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Resolving a Conflict by Scheduling the Show on Another ReplayTV

If your ReplayTVs are networked, you can resolve a recording conflict by scheduling the conflicting show on another ReplayTV.

When the conflict arises, choose the option “Schedule on another ReplayTV.â€
This sounds really interesting....hopefully it detects conflicts in the other ReplayTV....and I wonder how it works if you have more than one other ReplayTV.

Though right now the thing I'm trying to figure out is how to figure out what is already scheduled to record between my ReplayTVs. (and which shows have go to VCR.....etc.)

I guess I'm really looking forward to 5.0 now.....maybe I should change my shopping plans today...and go to BestBuy and see if they really have those 199.99 5040's that I think somebody posted about....

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
This sounds really interesting....hopefully it detects conflicts in the other ReplayTV....and I wonder how it works if you have more than one other ReplayTV.

I guess I'm really looking forward to 5.0 now.....maybe I should change my shopping plans today...and go to BestBuy and see if they really have those 199.99 5040's that I think somebody posted about....
At the bottom of page 6 in the addendum there is a "Note:" that indicates

they detect conflicts on the remote replay.

I'm guessing if you have more than one replay, they let you cycle

through them, either using QS or pressing up/down or left/right.

When I checked last night, the BB.com web site had the price at $249

and you could take additional $50 of through mail-in-rebate, so I think

the price is confirmed.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Or you can go to Costco and get a 5060 (80 hours patched) for the same price.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub

When I checked last night, the BB.com web site had the price at $249

and you could take additional $50 of through mail-in-rebate, so I think

the price is confirmed. [/b]
That's the price they were selling for a while now.....but somebody had posted (somewhere) that they got a $50 instant rebate and there was still the $50 mail-in rebate....so the total would've come down to $149.99 (providing they actually get the $50 rebate....I bought my first ReplayTV in January...and still haven't received the rebate for it.....I'm also waiting on a rebate for the one I bought last month.)

But, I went into my BestBuy...and they had adjusted the price back up to 299.99...but that there was $100 in (multiple) rebates available to bring the total to 199.99.

Maybe the other BestBuy forgot to take the price back up to 299.99.....:rolleyes:

I'm still paying for my (recent) vacation...so I'm on the fence on whether I'll pay $249.99 for another ReplayTV at the moment. (maybe next month...that way it'll be a ReplayTV every other month :cool:) Plus it is currently just two days that I have 3 way conflicts on (one I resolve my not bothering to get the one show, the other I get through IVS).

The Dreamer

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If I read the addendum right, it would appear "non guaranteed" in the way it operates now is gone. I mean all the record options are for a specific time and channel. I guess for shows on at various times (like Law and Order on the cable networks), you have to set up "theme channels".

The only thing I would want on 5.1 (already it starts!) is a "this channel only" or "all channels" on the theme channel set up.

Conflict management doesn't seem to be significantly better than the 5000 is now. I mean it doesn't pop up like a "to do list" or something you could say "check for conflicts". It shows up when you actually schedule a conflict. Now if it would detect the conflict itself AND optionally schedule it on another Replay and log a message! Whhhooooo-hooooo!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wonder if DVArchive will be able to participate in the newer 5.0 networking enhancements. Any number of times I have been watching something in the bedroom, and have to pop down to the computer room, it sure would be nice if I could pick up the show I was watching right at the point I had stopped it, on my PC via DVArchive.......

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Well, now that everyone is discussing the contents of the document, I guess I'll add my 2 cents as well.

The document ends pretty abruptly, so it may be only partially finished. Hopefully that is the case because, if it isn't, I'm fairly underwhelmed by the changes in 5.0.

The main thing many are looking for is improved conflict handling. Based on the document (and despite what it claims), 5.0 seemingly breaks little new ground in this area. It appears 5.0 offers 3 options when you try to record a show that conflicts with another show:

1) Record Anyway. This would apparently give the new show highest priority in relation to the conflicting shows.

2) Record only airings that don't conflict.

3) Record on another ReplayTV.

Option 3 appears to be the only new choice and admittedly is very cool if you have multiple 4xxx/5xxx ReplayTVs.

Option 1 seems basically the same as the 5xxx series' current conflict warning and option to record anyway, only a little more detailed.

Option 2 can currently be accomplished by setting a show recording to be "non-guaranteed" in pre-5.0 lingo.

Sadly, there appears to be no "to-do" list type feature. The real problem with ReplayTV's conflict management is that recording priority is established at the time you set up a recording and cannot (easily) be changed later.

An example with three shows:

Show A (Liked show)

Airs Sun. at 8:00pm.

Recording was set up on 1/1/2003.

Show B (Favorite show)

Airs Mon at 8:00pm.

Recording was set up on 1/2/2003.

Show C (Second favorite show)

Airs Tues at 8:00pm.

Recording was set up on 1/3/2003.

If Show B and C move time slots to Sun at 8:00pm, they will not be recorded because A has priority since its recording was set up earlier in time than B's and C's were. Priority is based on time the recording was set up, NOT on which show is your favorite (as it should be).

Seemingly, all that has to be done is to expose this priority scheme that ReplayTV uses internally and allow shows to be moved up and down within the list via a GUI. This would allow the user to prioritize show recordings by whatever method he/she chooses (for example, most liked to least liked). Instead, it appears that the current mechanical "first in time, first in right" priority system persists even in 5.0.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Yeah, it feels like they just added a new skin for the UI and added

some remote programming functions. The remote programming will

allow me to be even more lazy than I already am.

I'm hoping most of the critical and/or annoying bugs are fixed.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
I can see the loss of G/NG as a problem....

I have one time slot where I rely on this....

I have a G recording to records a show that airs on channel 7. But, in weeks where the show doesn't air....there's an NG recording for a show on channel 5.

Though I could see it as useful if there is a schedule conflict and one show is a repeat and the other isn't......but I currently resolve this situation by doing a onetime G record and select it when the conflict screen comes up.
think about this: turn off the record on that channel 5 show, and then set it up again, the conflict warns you and you choose "record non-conflicting shows only" or whatever that button says on the conflict screen. hey, i think i might like how this "new way of recording" works.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah....now that I have the document to read over....it is starting to sound like something I could like.

I'm starting to really think that I could use a 3rd ReplayTV right now....except that I still have to wait for the update to be released :(

Guess I'll just have to stick to using a VCR/IVS for 3way conflicts.

The Dreamer

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36

The only thing I would want on 5.1 (already it starts!) is a "this channel only" or "all channels" on the theme channel set up.

I've been thinking the same thing for Theme channels, there are a few shows I like that I would like to be able to schedule to record by name a) within a time frame but not limited to a single slow b) only on certain days and c) only on 1 channel. Otherwise you end up with 5 extra episodes in a 24 hour period from 2-3 channels or you miss an episode from the channel you wanted it from when it was shifted to a new time slot because you had to make it show based.

This is a particular pain for people who live in states where there is no daylight savings time and all of the cable shows shift an hour every 6 months.

This would also be useful for the whacky super-size episodes or shows that are otherwise starting at :05 or something that don't normally. (or do these record properly when done show-based?)

$6/300

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Only 2 5k files in the directory, the quick start guide and the user's guide.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.